Premed 101 Forums

Non-Trad acceptances

Thanks, Jochi.

I can't complain about my lack of success on my first try. There are many on this forum (such as yourself), that have tried more than once. How many times did you try before you had some luck this 'round?

Hey Halcyon,

wow first try and you have already gotten so far! Your on good pace. I'm sure eventually it will work out, just a matter of time. Just keep doing what your doing now, it's obviously working since you have gained interviews :)

Good luck and remember to let us all know how you are doing!

Hey Halcyon,

wow first try and you have already gotten so far! Your on good pace. I'm sure eventually it will work out, just a matter of time. Just keep doing what your doing now, it's obviously working since you have gained interviews :)

Good luck and remember to let us all know how you are doing!

Thanks for the positive msg!

Where are you on your journey, Endeavour? (I see you got an acceptance this year)

Thought I'd post another 'good news' story...

This is my 3rd time applying... Just finished my Masters... Was actually going to submit my US/Caribean applications this Friday.

cGPA: ~3.75

GradGPA: ~3.90

MCAT #1: 10-8-10P MCAT #2: 10-9-11O

2 publications, 5 papers in prep, 3 published abstracts, 5 conferences presentations... a few awards. No CHIR/NSERC.

Interesting volunteer work.

Applied: Everywhere in Ontario except NOSM

Interviewd: UofT

Accepted: UofT

I'm not sure if these posts really help anyone, but I think it goes to show that although a 3.95GPA and 35R MCAT do help, it is possible to get into medschool without it....

For all you people who are waitlisted, or didn't get in this year, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't give up. If you really want to be a MD, it will happen! Promise.

i'm glad to hear of some good news for some non trads.....i'm feeling rather blue about my rejection this year at UBC. i really thought i had what they were looking for......turns out not so much. the thing i hate the most is the face that i have no idea what to improve upon.....as there is no feedback given. anyways, i'm trying to figure out what to do this summer......

congrats to all non trads that got accepted! way to go!

i'm glad to hear of some good news for some non trads.....i'm feeling rather blue about my rejection this year at UBC. i really thought i had what they were looking for......turns out not so much. the thing i hate the most is the face that i have no idea what to improve upon.....as there is no feedback given. anyways, i'm trying to figure out what to do this summer......

I got rejected this year too....there's always something on your application to improve upon...(GPA, MCAT, more ECs, etc). Make sure to try again next cycle.

Good luck!

This is my 3rd time applying... Just finished my Masters... Was actually going to submit my US/Caribean applications this Friday.

2 publications, 5 papers in prep, 3 published abstracts, 5 conferences presentations... a few awards. No CHIR/NSERC.

I'm not sure if these posts really help anyone, but I think it goes to show that although a 3.95GPA and 35R MCAT do help, it is possible to get into medschool without it....

For all you people who are waitlisted, or didn't get in this year, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't give up. If you really want to be a MD, it will happen! Promise.

Hey hkmedbound. What is cGPA and how do you calculate it?

Hey hkmedbound. What is cGPA and how do you calculate it?

cGPA is cumulative GPA. It is a bit different from your average in your program. Each course you take is converted into a score out of 4.0 based on your percentage grade on it. For instance for most universities:

90%+ = 4.0

85-89% = 3.9

80-84% = 3.7

77-79%=3.3

and so on. There is a conversion chart available here: http://www.ouac.on.ca/omsas/pdf/c_omsas_b.pdf

You then take the average of all of the generated GPA scores.

You look like a new poster(?) which means you may not yet full know how the GPA system works etc. Med schools don't use your percentages directly, they use this GPA score instead. This have VERY important effects on things. For one thing notice how the drop in GPA accelerates as your percentage score drops (4.0 to 3.9 to 3.7 to 3.3 etc). This means a single low mark can damange things A LOT. Even a B+ can hurt seriously an entire year (not that there aren't ways to recover though!).

Anyway, if you have any questions ask away! You will want to seek out and learn the expected GPA score needed for each school, so you can make sure you know what your goals should be :)

finks, don't feel blue. History has no memory and no meaning in this case, just apply again, meanwhile you become a better applicant. AS a trad, about to do my last year of UG, I applied to Mac this past cycle. It was a very humbling experience, no interview, and a great:p learning experience! Meanwhile, I have completed another year with better grades, more ECs, hundreds of more hours doing volunteer EMS, great experience of more than 120 hours working with chronic patients, the wellness centre just called me inviting me to be a paid employee parttime to replace people on vacation, and I am studying for MCAT this summer. In Sept, I will apply to about 7/8 med schools and see what happens. I am prepared to apply repeatedly for years if I have to.

It is all quite random with luck playing a critical role in this lottery. So retrench and carry on, it shall happen if you really want it ands stay with this goal. Be well, comrade in arms!:)

• 9 months later...

Best quote I have seen yet on these forums! Love it. Hope all is going well with you and your endeavours

I don't think we "find" ourselves as much as we define ourselves. We rarely get what we deserve. We get what we negotiate.

Hi khmedbound. Just wondering how do you publish abstracts?Were the abstracts for presentations?

What did you mean by 5 papers in prep?

• 3 weeks later...
Hi khmedbound. Just wondering how do you publish abstracts?Were the abstracts for presentations?

What did you mean by 5 papers in prep?

5 papers in prep means that they are currently writing up the papers to be sumbitted for publication.

Abstracts are sometimes published at conferences if they are accepted or if the conference produces a "book" like publication of all accepted abstracts. Not every conference does this.

Archived