Premed 101 Forums

Non-Trad acceptances

Hey I was hoping all the non-trads who got in this year would post their stats and where they got in.

Congrats to all who got in!!!

I am a non-trad. Went to waterloo, concurrent degree in Joint Honours Psychology/Economics, along with Honours Biomedical Science. Full time computer programmer/project manager for years before going to school.

Mcat 12, 10, 13 S = 35S

cGPA = 3.97

Accepted at Western and U of S, waitlisted Queens and Ottawa.

I'm non-trad-ish. Have spent 4.5 years of my post-high school life doing foreign travel or working anyways, and also have an MSc. in Neuroscience. I went to U of Lethbridge for my undergrad (Neuro as well) and pulled of their Gold medal upon graduation with my 4.0 and a bunch of research and 6 class semesters. 3 full publications and many conference abstracts came out of the Masters that followed (with a year of backpacking in between). I wrote the MCAT 6 years after the pre-reqs and 3 weeks after returning from living in SOuth America for a year and got PS 9, VR 12, BS 12, essay O. Other than the travel I think my ECs may have been weak, but I'm old(er) so I did have a fair bit when you put it all together. I currently work in the public schools system with kids who have behavioural problems and learning impairments, and also at a tutoring center for First Nations youth.

Applied to U of S, U of A and U of C - all as an IP Yukoner. Waitlisted at U of C and accepted at the other two. This was my first time applying.

I graduated with a BA from a US school in 2006. Spent 2006-2007 working office/retail jobs, taking some pre-reqs, and writing the MCAT. Applied in 2007, 2 interviews out of (U of A and Queen's), was rejected from U of A and waitlisted--> rejected from Queen's (terrible interview). Went back to school in 2007-2008 to raise my grades (special year for UWO) and finish up whatever pre-reqs I needed. Had 3 interviews out of 4 this year - Queen's, U of A, U of C - accepted at U of A (1st choice!), rejected from the other 2.

Stats this year:

3.58 cumulative

3.69 Alberta cumulative

3.76 Alberta pre-req GPA

3.86 last/best 2 years

32T MCAT (10-10-12 in PS)

Stats last year:

3.48 cumulative

3.61 Alberta cumulative

3.69 Alberta pre-req

3.76 last/best 2 years

same MCAT

Hi,

Just got into Ottawa for 2009. BSc Engineering, MBA, LLB, MCAT 32Q (irrelevant here), 22 years in a variety of positions worldwide.

Best of luck to all the other non-trads If I can do this at 42, so can anyone. I'm still recovering from the shock.

:rolleyes:

Wow that is very inspirational and impressive! Congrats! It is great seeing engineers get into medicine :P

Hi,

Just got into Ottawa for 2009. BSc Engineering, MBA, LLB, MCAT 32Q (irrelevant here), 22 years in a variety of positions worldwide.

Best of luck to all the other non-trads If I can do this at 42, so can anyone. I'm still recovering from the shock.

This is amazing - good work :D

Hi,

Sounds like an expensive journey, best of luck at ottawa

First off CONGRATS to all non-trads!

Strolling through this thread, I think i should add my own non-trad story.

Went into university at a very young age (<18) graduated with BSc, was in a rush, did not think carefully and went into a very very VERY closely related health care profession to find out after a few years that it was not what I expected or wanted :( . Had to go back and do an MSc :eek: , did another 15 months of school and here I'm going off to Med in Toronto. I appreciate every second of this.

All i can say is that after going around in circles, roller caosters with many ups/downs and self-reflection (this was the hardest part for me to have to admitt to myself that I made mistakes, and find enough courage to tell my family I was going back to do more schooling with the MSc), hard work and determination paid off. Now into my mid 20's, I finally feel in place :) .

Good luck to future non-trads

I am a non-trad in some ways.

Took 4 years off after high school to "find myself." I didn't.

Worked every job under the sun. (With a high school ed.)

Went back to school and took some night classes.

Finally dove in full time, set on meds, and had a great first year.

Guttered my second year: turns out a chem major was not for me.

Asked myself do I still have what it takes. Answer: Yes (Despite some doubt)

Asked myself do I still want to do this after making the hill even steeper. Answer: Yes (After much deliberation).

Kinesiology major finished 6 years after my post-secondary start. Brought up gpa considerably.

Marraige, and a child during my 3rd and 4th years resp.

Lots of community service.

MCAT teaching.

A year+ of research.

Great letters from great people.

Lots of help and amazing opportunities.

UBC 2008 entering class rejection.

UBC and Dalhousie 2009 acceptances.

I am overjoyed and full of gratitude.

I don't think we "find" ourselves as much as we define ourselves. We rarely get what we deserve. We get what we negotiate.

Congrats to the Non-Trads who got accepted this year!

I know it's not easy to keep going, and the success stories on this forum definitely inspired me, so here's another one:

I studied engineering, finished my degree, and then decided on medicine. Returned to school for another 3 years in Biochem, wrote the MCAT, volunteered, and got accepted by Western.

I think that my engineering and work experiences helped me in my interviews, so, a non-trad background can be an advantage rather than a disadvantage.

For those of you embarking on this road, keep on persevering, and good luck!

Congrats to all who got in. Also a big thanks to those who post encouragement for all of us - one of the things that kept me going through the last 2 years of application work when I was feeling discouraged was reading the various messages of support and the success stories in these non-trad threads. This forum made me think that it was possible to get a place at Med School and that I was not completely insane.

QED, Non-trads is the business, and the people in it are positive, helpful and inspiring. Keep up the good work for all those still trying or thinking of applying.

My sincere thanks to you all.

What a nice thread!

I'm a non-trad that got rejected from Mac (pre-interview) and NOSM (post-interview/ bad waitlisted) this year. So, it's great to hear some positive stories.

Good luck on your studies, successful non-trads ;)

Sorry to hear that, Halcyon. While I can't speak for others, I can tell you from personal experience that perseverance pays!

Sorry to hear that, Halcyon. While I can't speak for others, I can tell you from personal experience that perseverance pays!

Thanks, Jochi.

I can't complain about my lack of success on my first try. There are many on this forum (such as yourself), that have tried more than once. How many times did you try before you had some luck this 'round?

Thanks, Jochi.

I can't complain about my lack of success on my first try. There are many on this forum (such as yourself), that have tried more than once. How many times did you try before you had some luck this 'round?

This was my 2nd time applying (I mentioned my stats from last year earlier in the thread). I originally wanted to apply back in 2006, but life got in the way, I simply didn't have the time to put everything together. So I've WANTED to apply 3 times now, and applied twice.

Archived