Premed 101 Forums

Last Question!!

Guest zirneklis

Guest zirneklis

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for all of your responses. I have one FINAL question. Honestly, what do you all like/dislike most about UofT?

Thanks

Z

Guest bluesky125

What I like most about the U of T?

The students

What I dislike most about U of T?

The tuition and the rent.

But I am not sure if answering both questions is all that helpful. Picking med school is tough. But honestly, any Canadian med school will give you a great education.

bluesky125

Guest Lakers4life

Well I am not going to be as nice and say that ANY school will give you a good education. Look at the match stats and you will see that certain schools may not be up to par, although most of them certainely are.

I am going to echo the above statements and say that the students are the best part [although everyone will agree that the 2nd years are far more social], as well as the ability to commute from home. I don't like the high tuition and the way the DOCH course is handled in 2nd year.

Guest UWOMED2005

Lakers4life - I don't mean to pick on you (though I am a Spurs fan!) but I don't think the CaRMS match statistics reflect that at all!

If you look at the statistics over the last 5 years, unmatch rates fluctuate wildly, as do school's tendencies to match to the truly competitive specialties. Yes, you do see some trends. . . like UWO tends to match a lot of people to surgery. But that I think reflects not the quality of the medical program, but what the focus of faculty is.

The one thing I'd guess you're going to point out next is the %matching to specialty vs %matching to specialty. Yes, Queen's, Western and U of T often match 80/20 specialty to family, whereas the last year I checked (2001?) Mac was either 50/50 or 60/40 and U of O I think was 60/40. But is this a reflection of the quality of the education or a reflection of the career priorities of the student body? Don't forget both Ottawa and Mac are the MCAT-less schools, meaning they both attract 'non-traditional' applicants. Particularly in the case of Mac, you often get a lot of students who are a few years older, might already have families, and as a result the thought of doing 2 years of residency as opposed to 5+ is quite appealing. One last thing to ponder is the answer to the question I posed in that other thread: Which school had the fewest unmatched this year? McMaster, with only 1! And, if I remember correctly, their ratio of specialty to family was over 60/40 this year. . .

Really, it is impossible for you or I to compare the quality of U of T or UWO to Queen's or Mac or U of O as we are not students there. No, the only way to truly compare the quality of different schools is to be a student at each of them. If you want to do us that service of dropping/flunking out of U of T and applying to U of O or McMaster to report back as to which school has the highest quality of education, by all means, go ahead. :)

Guest Lakers4life

I do agree that that it is impossible to compare the various med schools, but there are advantages and disadvantages to both. Clearly, if you want to become a research physician then you are better served going to a bigger school with more top name researchers. As well, if you are set on doing, for instance rural meds, then I know that Western at least has a really cool rural week they offer. So I wouldn't say all of the med schools are equal, and loooking at match stats can help you if you are leaning one way or the other in terms of which school might be a better fit. But yes, I am sure that they all will give you a good education in the end.

So you like the Spurs huh? They are looking pretty good right now, but if Horry's 3 goes down then it would have been an entirely new story! But you have to respect Duncan and it owuld be nice to see Robinson go out with a championship.

Archived