Premed 101 Forums

AAs, need to know?

Rach

My Kaplan books do not cover the essential amino acids at all, but I have heard people say that it's important to know the structure of those AAs, know which ones are polar, which ones have basic or acidic side chains, etc. I haven't taken biochem so that stuff would be completely new to me. Should I just go by the material in Kaplan, or is it worth finding a book (or website) that would teach me these things?

I would say know which are acidic, basic, polar, hydrophobic. I say this because I had a question asking for which amino acid is basic on my mcat. Overall, not that important since there won't be there'll be one question on it out of the 52?

for what its worth TPR said to remember the speed of light but not the others you mentioned. Your best bet might be to check out a previous AAMC to see what was provided or not. I don't think its that important to remember constants as opposed to some key equations......

.........but you'll kick ass anyway right?

for what its worth TPR said to remember the speed of light but not the others you mentioned. Your best bet might be to check out a previous AAMC to see what was provided or not. I don't think its that important to remember constants as opposed to some key equations......

.........but you'll kick ass anyway right?

I'm trying to stay positive (hoping that the law of attraction really works, hah)!

thanks, guess I'll find out soon enough with practice tests.

If law of attraction holds in this context, wouldn't being positive attract negative results? ;)

I would say that memorizing all the amino acids would get you a single point question at most. If there are any other topics you still have trouble understanding, I would focus on those before blowing a couple hours on rote memorization of amino acid structures. It's not going to be what makes or breaks your score, that's for sure; a "low yield" topic if there ever was one.

Speed of light is the only constant they say you need to know, and they'd probably give you that one too.

Good luck! And don't write it until your practice tests are around 30 or above - they are valid indicators (the AAMC ones anyways), but you may need to subtract a bit off your practice average if you think you will be prone to test day anxiety or sleeplessness.

I had a question about AA structures on my MCAT, but there was a passage with all the structures listed as a figure. The question tested whether or not I could infer properties from the chemical structures, not if I had memorized what they were. The MCAT tests understanding and comprehension, not memorization skills (which is what is tested in undergrad classes)

If law of attraction holds in this context, wouldn't being positive attract negative results? ;)

I would say that memorizing all the amino acids would get you a single point question at most. If there are any other topics you still have trouble understanding, I would focus on those before blowing a couple hours on rote memorization of amino acid structures. It's not going to be what makes or breaks your score, that's for sure; a "low yield" topic if there ever was one.

Speed of light is the only constant they say you need to know, and they'd probably give you that one too.

Good luck! And don't write it until your practice tests are around 30 or above - they are valid indicators (the AAMC ones anyways).

Well I'm hoping the law of the attraction that applies in this case is this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_Attraction

Guess I've seen one too many of Oprah's episodes. :P

Thanks for the info on the AAs and constants. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can get a few practice tests around 30 before my test date!

I had a question about AA structures on my MCAT, but there was a passage with all the structures listed as a figure. The question tested whether or not I could infer properties from the chemical structures, not if I had memorized what they were. The MCAT tests understanding and comprehension, not memorization skills (which is what is tested in undergrad classes)

Exactly, it always helped me to remember the spirit of the test was to make you think, not to make you memorize.

You should know the properties of any common chemical group presented to you I think - that really helped me on the test.

My Kaplan books do not cover the essential amino acids at all, but I have heard people say that it's important to know the structure of those AAs, know which ones are polar, which ones have basic or acidic side chains, etc. I haven't taken biochem so that stuff would be completely new to me. Should I just go by the material in Kaplan, or is it worth finding a book (or website) that would teach me these things?

I highly doubt that you need to memorize the amino acids and their structures/properties. But I would suggest that you be familiar with it since a passage could come up with those things on it. You should know things like, polar AA's are usually on the exterior of proteins while nonpolar ones are in the interior, etc.

To add to great plethora of comments above:

MCAT is a time-management skill test: you have too much information to master and not enough time. Thus, you choose what to study. I see this as a prime example of such dilemmas: to study bond structure of every amino acid or to find the pattern (acidity/basicity/hydrophobicity) that you could identify without even knowing what amino acid is it. It's your call.

Archived