Premed 101 Forums

How essential is a Car in med school?

Hey everyone..Just wondering if some of the current med students could provide an insight into how essential is having a car when starting med school?..I dont have a car right now and have been using the transit throughout my undergrad..Will I be lagging behind on get-together events just because transit may not be accessible at a certain hour in my area ,..or are carpools amongst meds common? I know that 1st year probably is just like undergrad...fixed hours for stuff...but later on during on-call shifts, a car may be essential..So do you think I could delay buyin one until like 2nd or 3rd year or should I buy a cheap one now? With tuition and other costs,,the only thing that stops me from buying one is insurance and gas costs...any ideas please??

Needs vary depending on living arrangements. If you live within walking distance to school, no big deal. Buses are a pain, but doable in pre-clerkship. I wouldn't want to do clerkship without a car, though. You could be in any of the four hospitals in Calgary depending on the rotation, and I wouldn't want to deal with the added stress of that on top of the workload. Car pools and C-train take care of all the get-together needs.

I live within walking distance, and the only time I really need to use my car right now is for grocery shopping.

Needs vary depending on living arrangements. If you live within walking distance to school, no big deal. Buses are a pain, but doable in pre-clerkship. I wouldn't want to do clerkship without a car, though. You could be in any of the four hospitals in Calgary depending on the rotation, and I wouldn't want to deal with the added stress of that on top of the workload. Car pools and C-train take care of all the get-together needs.

I live within walking distance, and the only time I really need to use my car right now is for grocery shopping.

Thanks someguy! Much Appreciated!

I don't know if this is the same during the school year, but I work at foothills during the summer, and was given an option - $32.00 a month to shuttle in, or $92.00 to park on site.

Depends what is affordable to you. The shuttle really isn't that bad, though I imagine its likely worse in winter.

do u know how we can arrange to get parking at the health sciences centre? i don't want to have to park at alberta childrens and then take the shuttle

get your name on a waiting list for parking and hope that it works.

or eat the $10/day cost. or park on the streets and hope you don't get a ticket.

not a lot of options for parking on-site

get your name on a waiting list for parking and hope that it works.

or eat the $10/day cost. or park on the streets and hope you don't get a ticket.

not a lot of options for parking on-site

Foothills stadium shopping plaza, (where the Keg/Wendy's is) across the street has all day parking for $5.00 now.

that's reasonable - who do you pay? i think it's $120/month for the official on-site parking pass

It's at a machine - I think there are 4 posted in the corners of the parking lot.

Mind you; it is free if you are under 2 hours (you get a free 2 hour ticket; but I don't know what stops you from changing that ticket every 2 hours, if you were inclined ... ).

Also tickets are from inpark; so they have no authority to make you pay ...

$120 a month is steep. You could become a hospital volunteer and get a free one .. hah.

Just a question. I realize that in year 1 students get exposure to working in a hospital with patients but would we have to go to different hospitals in the city for this? If so, then having a car would make things a lot easier. Or is it that in the pre-clerkship years we only have to go to Foothills hospital?

Thanks

Archived