Premed 101 Forums

U Ottawa Financial aid/Bursaries

Hey everyone, I was wondering if you could help me out with some of my questions...

1. what sort of financial aid does UO offer to students?

2. what sort of bursaries/scholarships are available to students? (please add value if known)

3. what sort of monthly budget should a student expect to have if he wants to live in university residencies?

4. what sort of monthly budget should a student expect to have if he wants to live on his own/roomate outside of university property?

I really appreciate your help! These are the few questions that I've been having for the longest time. They are the ones keeping me from accepting an offer at UO or staying in montreal where life cost would be 1/5 of the amount! However UO is my first choice! (I just don't want to have an a hundred thousand dollar dept after 4 years...)

THANK YOU!

P.S. if you know any sites that I could look at and be informed on these topics please let me know!

im not sure about exact numbers or what they offer but from what I've read online and on the forum isn't very promising in regards to debt. unless you have lots of money going into it you are most likely going to accrue debt... scholarships or not. they can't help THAT much... and moving out is never as cheap as staying home. if you think about it... tuition alone is roughly 20k a year x 4 = 80k. so unless you can find a way to live for only 5k a year for four years than debt should be higher than the 100k limit you set yourself. my understanding is that you cannot expect to pull in large incomes while in med school so living is mostly done with one's LOC.

of course this is just my opinion and view. I realize its quite pessimistic. No pain no gain with medicine! But you gotta love it! if anyone can correct me feel free to lighten my day too!

I don't know anything about bursaries and scholarships but I live on my own in the Ottawa region and i can tell you its about 700$ for rent (thats pretty decent by the way comparing to other places) but another maybe 150$ for hydro, etc. And then there's the other expenses like groceries, bus pass if you want to get around, etc. So honestly just living expenses you're looking at at least 1500$ if not more per month.

Good luck!

thanks for the replies people

1500$ per month sounds about right when your living alone mediterranean13...the monthly expenses probably average around 1000-1700$ a month

how about university residencies? anyone have any experience with that? can someone give me an approximate monthly budget?

thanks a lot for the help everyone!

• 3 weeks later...

lol, there actually is a Jim Marshall and he was really helpful!

Does anyone out there know about getting the bank to give you a rewards credit card as the main card for your line of credit?Is it possible if you bargain with them enough or do they only throw the reward credit cards in as a side thing?

I have no doubt that there is a Jim Marshall and he likes to troll on this site to drum up business.

hehe hey Hopeful Med, were you once named Med Hopeful, there was someone on here a year or two ago who had a similar name?

You mentioned that you had two great experiences with some banks, would you mind sharing what banks and the perks they offered you, im still bank shopping and cant decide which one I like best and if I am getting all the information...

thanks!

Hi FABS, if you are still shopping and you are in the Ottawa area, try Scotia on Sparks st. I went with them after looking into TD, RBC and BMO. James Marshall at Scotia was the reason I went with them: he knows the product and goes beyond to help.

The rep at RBC was on vacation, TD and BMO reps did not know their product...

Good luck shopping, as somebody said it is the matter of speaking to the right person...

Archived