Premed 101 Forums

Med-P : What Electives would you recommend?

nork13

Hi,

I am thinking about my course choices and I am considering Art of Listening + Western Music 1. I know reviews are in the MedGuide but they aren't that specific. Are these courses as easy as declared in the MedGuide? Also,

a ) I have NOOO music talent + no ear skills. Is art of listening recommended?

b ) Is Western Music 1 more of a history course than a music course?

nork13: I haven't taken "The Art of Listening" myself, but from what I understand you don't need a good musical ear. The only "listening part" is that you are given pieces of music to listen to at home, and you need to be able to recognize portions of those pieces on the exam (and give information about the composer, period, etc.). If you think you'll have a hard time recognizing pieces even after listening to them at home, then maybe this isn't the course for you.

And no, Western Music I (MUAR 201) is not a history course. It is an introductory music theory course. The description in the MedGuide is accurate for both of these courses.

Typically, it is much, much easier to receive an A in a course marked "easy" than it would in a course marked "medium", "medium-hard" or even "hard". However, just because a course is marked as being "easy" does not mean that no work will be involved.

Boo: If you are a Med-P (or Dent-P) student from McGill, you can PM me if you want more information on how to buy a copy of the MedGuide. I can direct you to the right people.

The theory course (basic materials of western music) was a breeze but I also had a piano background...your mileage will vary.

Art of listening is meant for non-musicians and musicians alike. It is more of a music appreciation/basic history course but is also fun. Discerning the different types of music isn't that hard...there are a couple that are more challenging than others but most should be pretty clear--if you practised identifying them! Basically for this course you need to make the music for the class the 'soundtrack of the semester'...I think it is a pre-req for the Pop Music class that is offered in 2nd semester, which was wonderful when it was taught by Craig Morrison. No idea if he is still there.

Archived