Premed 101 Forums

3rd year deferrals

Guest ssup

The following quote is from the U of T website:

"An applicant who has been accepted into the M.D. program who has not completed his/her undergraduate degree will be encouraged to request deferred admission in order to complete such a degree."

I'm just wondering how strong this "encuoragement" is...are there many 3rd years students in the class or do most of them choose to complete their undergrad as the university suggests?

Any thoughts?

Guest bluesky125

Hi ssup,

Hi, there are about 1/4 to 1/3 of the first year med class that have completed a three year degree. I am actually one of them and I do not feel I am disadvantaged at any way.

Though taking a year off or completing a honors degree can be quite fun and rewarding. Once you get into medicine, it is harder to find time for a long trip :)

bluesky,

thanks for the response...i'm just wondering whether upon being accepted, you were given the choice to defer admission by a year? The way they make it sound on their website is that eventhough they accept 3rd year students, they would RATHER you finish your undergrad degree. So I'm wondering how, if at all, you were approached to make this decision.

Ssup

Guest bluesky125

Hi ssup,

Sorry I took so long to reply. Currently cramming for the upcoming final coming this Monday. I was never approached to make a decision about deferral. Basically, when you get your acceptance, you get a choice to apply for a deferral.

I am not too sure if this is what you mean. Hope this is helpful.

Guest kellyl20

So about 1/3 -1/2 of your class is made up of people who have their first degree only or do you mean that is the amount of people who were still undergradutes when they start med school ie with no degree at all?

Guest cheech10

Roughly 1/4 of the class has completed 3 years, either as a 3-year degree or an incomplete degree.

1/2 of the class has completed a 4-year degree.

1/4 of the class has completed some form of graduate work.

Archived