Premed 101 Forums

Please help me, do I have a chance?

Hello everyone.

I am applying this summer to Medical schools and I was wondering about my chances.

I am from UofT.

My cGPA is 3.55 (I completed my third year):

3.38 first year

3.51 second year

3.97 third year

However I have taken 1.5 credits in my second year summer (physics and a writing course) which really dropped my marks...(60's and 70's).

I haven't done the MCAT yet (will take in Aug) but averaging 30 in my practice tests.

Do I have a chance? I think without my summer courses I would have a 3.6 cGPA.

If I do...which universities should I definitely apply to?

Hi there, you probably ran into this already with some of the links provided, but your overall GPA (even without summers) is too low to be competitive, but I would say not competitive yet! Obviously something happened in year 3 there (nice recovery). Now you are going into fourth year. Currently in Ontario there is only one school you can probably realistically apply to, and that is western. To get in however you MUST get over 3.75 (based on last years stats) in your 4th year - western has a best of two years policy. Assuming you get the mcat cut offs you are actually quite competitive at western.

As you know you are struggling to recover from those bad couple of years. There was another somewhat similar case to yours recently. Check out this thread, it might help!

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34518&page=2

Hello everyone.

I am applying this summer to Medical schools and I was wondering about my chances.

I am from UofT.

My cGPA is 3.55 (I completed my third year):

3.38 first year

3.51 second year

3.97 third year

However I have taken 1.5 credits in my second year summer (physics and a writing course) which really dropped my marks...(60's and 70's).

I haven't done the MCAT yet (will take in Aug) but averaging 30 in my practice tests.

Do I have a chance? I think without my summer courses I would have a 3.6 cGPA.

If I do...which universities should I definitely apply to?

Hi there, you probably ran into this already with some of the links provided, but your overall GPA (even without summers) is too low to be competitive, but I would say not competitive yet! Obviously something happened in year 3 there (nice recovery). Now you are going into fourth year. Currently in Ontario there is only one school you can probably realistically apply to, and that is western. To get in however you MUST get over 3.75 (based on last years stats) in your 4th year - western has a best of two years policy. Assuming you get the mcat cut offs you are actually quite competitive at western.

As you know you are struggling to recover from those bad couple of years. There was another somewhat similar case to yours recently. Check out this thread, it might help!

ha rm, I think you could do some interesting research on what percentage of the queens/uwo class is there because of your recommendation :P

as for the OP, solid 3rd year boiiiiii

ha rm, I think you could do some interesting research on what percentage of the queens/uwo class is there because of your recommendation :P

Totally! rmorelan should run a study over the next couple years, while in med school, to figure that out!

Awesome suggestion, AdamP :)

hehehe, people are going to start thinking I am biased now that I got into western. Still I love the way queens/western/U of S/Dalhousie give you a second chance GPA wise. All great schools, picking up great people - some of which the other schools just pass by :)

To the OP: your cGPA is low, but if you have lots of ECs and get a good MCAT (>32), you have a resonably good chance at getting into Dal as well. If not, do another year of undergrad, and if your 4th year turns out like your third, you'd be competitive for Ottawa too.

Yes I was also thinking that western was my only chance. BUT, it required 3/5 credits to be third year or above (for my third year to be considered). And I only have 2.5 credits so I do not meet their criteria. Does that mean it is over for me?

wait why isn't queens considered??

overall GPA is likely a little low for both overall and last two years - but that is why I said they are not competitive at places "yet". OP just pulled off a 3.97 for year three which puts them back in the game in a sense. Maybe he/she needs to complete 4th (then queens) or even a 5 year (then ottawa as well) for instance, but things are moving forward it seems :)

Hey, my gpa is quite low as well 3.52 so i was looking into each school' s website to see how they do their breakdown when my mate from volley ball felt bad for me and got me three books:

1 -MSAR

2-MSAG

3- So, you want to be a doctor, eh?

I stop waisting time and actually got the right answers.

I d recommend MSAR to anyone, it 25 dollars that s going to save you loads as you wont apply to medical schools where you wont' get in anyway. You cann all the stats for most school right away.

I have the best of three is MSAG (http://www.themsag.com). It basically give a clear breakdown for each school on what counts and how they select for interview and admission after interview as well as stats. It is so different for each school .I discovered that u of Toronto would drop some of my lowest grades when calculating my GPA which might increase my chances

So MSAR ( from AAMC) and MSAG will answer your questions

the third book has a lot of things about is medicine the right career for you thing. so wasnt useful to me but might be to you ..dunno..

hope that helps,

Archived