Premed 101 Forums

Will be a lawyer, should I be a doc?

Finished 4 yrs of biochem (Hons. B.Sc.): cGPA of 3.59.

Finished 3 yrs of law (LL.B.): cGPA of 3.03 (yes, law school is not easy)

I am about to get called to the bar and I actually enjoy the legal profession. The problem is, I always had a personal thing about going to med school. Law can be mindnumbingly lucrative, as I have started to find out since I joined a commercial litigation firm. The way I see it, if I don't make up my mind now about getting a MD, I never will.

So, should I take one or two more years of UG to get my gpa up? My problem is the law school grades, it was tough. I know Mac for example adds both degrees up, meaning my gpa from their point of view would be around a 3.3. So I'm not competitive at all. What would you guys suggest?

Oh and regarding the awesome chart about one chances of getting into medschool, the best legal protection would probably be copyright law. It requires no registration, all the author has to do is add the phrase "© Year, Name, All rights reserved" If the author decides to remain anonymous, then the copyright is good for 50 years from the date it was first published. If the author makes his name known, then its the life of the author plus 50 years.

Reference: http://www.cb-cda.gc.ca/info/act-e.html

Note: I provided the above information for general legal information only and should not be considered, construed, used, misused, analyzed, interpreted, misinterpreted and/or relied upon as sound legal advice. Seek proper legal advice for consideration for actual/all legal rights associated with the subject noted above. Author takes no responsibility for liabilities/damages associated with anyone using the information in any form.

Finished 4 yrs of biochem (Hons. B.Sc.): cGPA of 3.59.

Finished 3 yrs of law (LL.B.): cGPA of 3.03 (yes, law school is not easy)

I am about to get called to the bar and I actually enjoy the legal profession. The problem is, I always had a personal thing about going to med school..... The way I see it, if I don't make up my mind now about getting a MD, I never will.

So, should I take one or two more years of UG to get my gpa up? My problem is the law school grades, it was tough. I know Mac for example adds both degrees up, meaning my gpa from their point of view would be around a 3.3. So I'm not competitive at all. What would you guys suggest?

Hedge your bets. Get a year under your belt as a practcing lawyer first. This will give you a better springboard to return to law if you must, with the additional experience.

Cointact Mac to find out if in your circumstances you would be a competitive candidate with your present GPA, other things being equal, good V score in MCAT, volunteering, etc.

You may not ye be ready to do the MCAT and may need sciences. It is likely you will need a couple of years in UG. Why not consider xompressed 3 yr nursing degree, with electives or summer courses to cover the prereuisites that some schoolos may require.

I know someone applying for an articling position, with the economy as is, it is a lottery as there are so many applicants for one position. Too many. So, another year at law school for another degree starting in Sept. This person already passed the Bar Exams (brutal process) in Quebec. Will become member of Bar of Que., France (new entente between Que. and France), New York State and Mass and possibly Ontario. This person would make a far better physician but is interested in children's rights globally.

Other than being involved in legal work that helps people or society, law is soul-less, money is great and for most, it is a wasted life about making money change hands. It is a game called "win" where he/she who does the best job in the guerilla warfare wins.

I admire you. Best of luck ahead. You are definitely making the right decision, but consider an extra year in law.

Note: I provided the above information for general information only and should not be considered, construed, used, misused, analyzed, interpreted, misinterpreted and/or relied upon as sound advice. Seek proper advice for consideration for actual/all rights associated with the subject noted above. Author takes no responsibility for liabilities/damages associated with anyone using the information in any form.:P

Hedge your bets. Get a year under your belt as a practcing lawyer first. This will give you a better springboard to return to law if you must, with the additional experience.

Cointact Mac to find out if in your circumstances you would be a competitive candidate with your present GPA, other things being equal, good V score in MCAT, volunteering, etc.

You may not ye be ready to do the MCAT and may need sciences. It is likely you will need a couple of years in UG. Why not consider xompressed 3 yr nursing degree, with electives or summer courses to cover the prereuisites that some schoolos may require.

I know someone applying for an articling position, with the economy as is, it is a lottery as there are so many applicants for one position. Too many. So, another year at law school for another degree starting in Sept. This person already passed the Bar Exams (brutal process) in Quebec. Will become member of Bar of Que., France (new entente between Que. and France), New York State and Mass and possibly Ontario. This person would make a far better physician but is interested in children's rights globally.

Other than being involved in legal work that helps people or society, law is soul-less, money is great and for most, it is a wasted life about making money change hands. It is a game called "win" where he/she who does the best job in the guerilla warfare wins.

I admire you. Best of luck ahead. You are definitely making the right decision, but consider an extra year in law.

Thank you for your kind words. The legal profession can be somewhat of a paradox. While getting an articling spot is tricky, and often low paid, once you become a lawyer, it actually starts to become very lucrative. That's the issue that I potentially have. Law is one of those professions where if you're in the right field and do a decent job (not great), you can easily make a very good figure within one-two years. It's hard to turn down $100+ a year for med school, on top having to get two-three years of UG to get my grades up. So, that's my dilemma.

P.S. the worst part? The economy has not really affected the majority of the legal profession that much: considering bankruptcies, divorces, stealing of assets (see criminal law) in this economy -- it's frightening but whether the economy is good or bad, there's always a lawyer making a killing off it.

Thank you for your kind words. The legal profession can be somewhat of a paradox. While getting an articling spot is tricky, and often low paid, once you become a lawyer, it actually starts to become very lucrative. That's the issue that I potentially have. Law is one of those professions where if you're in the right field and do a decent job (not great), you can easily make a very good figure within one-two years. It's hard to turn down $100+ a year for med school, on top having to get two-three years of UG to get my grades up. So, that's my dilemma.

P.S. the worst part? The economy has not really affected the majority of the legal profession that much: considering bankruptcies, divorces, stealing of assets (see criminal law) in this economy -- it's frightening but whether the economy is good or bad, there's always a lawyer making a killing off it.

It comes down to a balancing act, perhaps give it a shot in law, for 3 years, pack away the money, and then leap with a cushion. It comes down to a matter of priorities. Yes, it is hard to leave good money, but here is where values come into play and what do you do for the rest of your life. You don't want to mortgage your life for short term gain, but definitely, there will be a gap in terms of giving up life style for many years to get to the equivalent position in medicine many years from now. So, essentially, the issue is what do you do with the rest of your life? What do you really want to do witht he rest of your life? Only you can answer that to yourself. No question about it, gthere will be considerable self-sacrifice across the board to go for med at this stage.

By the way, my friend the lawyer to be, if she cannot get a good position in children's right (Iand she is not interested in the corporate/commercial/litigation field, she intends to become a professional trapaze artist (very talented). For her, it is not about the money, it is about the journey of life and having fulfillment. Nothing is ever simple (except complex matters:p )

You only live one life, you are at a stage where you have flexibility, probably more so than you will ever have again, so think carefully, do what you do, just be happy and don't have any regrets later.

There is another lawyer from Quebec, age 28, who wants to go into med. I think the name is d square, unsure, if you check back in my old posts several weeks ago, you see my commuincations or the site where he is to be found. Then, you can PM him, also at least oneother lawyer studying med also chimed in, so you can chat with others in your precise situation for feedback and mutual support.

Hey OP, I don't know where you graduated from, but can you convert the LLB into a JD? If you do that then perhaps you can get out of your law school marks. I thought queen's was one school that gave that option.

I went to Ottawa, not sure if I would want my LL.B. converted to a Jurius Doctorate. However, that is something to look into. Thank you for your insight.

I know U of T, in a 4-year degree, allows you to pull out your lowest 8 grades. That would get my B.Sc. degree to a 3.75, so unless I have a killer MCAT score, I don't feel too confident. I'm not sure what U of T would say about my LL.B. degree -- would they count it as part of the gpa? Does anyone know?

I know I'm asking a mouthful here, but have any of you tried to contact admissions for Mac, UofT or Northern Ontario for questions via email? They don't seem to care to respond to some questions where you can't find the answer on their website.

Sort of skimmed through, but if your ug gpa was 3.59 were one of those years above 3.75? if so you could get an interview just from that at western (provided you write a good enough mcat)

than you could, during the application cycle do another undergrad 'special' year, if that one is 3.75+ as well you might be good.

Archived