Premed 101 Forums

Hi all!

Once you accept admission for a medical school can you change your decision later on?

My friend got accepted to a WESTERN and he was on the waitlist for others so he accepted it!

But now after the deadline he got accepted to UofT....can he choose UofT or is it too late?

Thanks

Hi all!

Once you accept admission for a medical school can you change your decision later on?

My friend got accepted to a Calgary and he was on the waitlist for others so he accepted it!

But now after the deadline he got accepted to UofT....can he choose UofT or is it too late?

Thanks

This is my understanding :):

The admissions systems in Ontario are not connected to rest of the country, so as far as Toronto knows he hasn't been accepted elsewhere, which is why they extended him the offer. He can take it - accepting Calgary previously is not legally binding, although any deposit he made will be forfeit.

This sort of thing does happen quite a bit. I know the admissions people at U of S said they often get people canceling later on for OOP people getting later acceptance - up to the end of the summer. He should be kind though and notify Calgary of the changes once he is completely sure he is in at Toronto so someone else can take his spot.

I am sorry I made a mistake its Western!

its in ontario....wouldn't omsas know it!

I guess I am confused now :) Which are the two schools? If they are both in Ontario accepting at one school removes you automatically from the waitlists at other schools in Ontario - particularly by this point in the cycle, ie post june 12.

There is a delay of a few days between the moment you firmly accept on OMSAS and when you actually are removed from all other wait lists. I firmly accepted Toronto on a Monday, received an offer from McMaster on Wednesday afternoon. On Thursday morning, Wendy from McMaster emailed me to say that she just got the message that I had firmly accepted Toronto. If your friend really wants to attend U of T, he should call Toronto immediately, before they realize that he has accepted Western and give his seat to somebody else on the list.

There is a delay of a few days between the moment you firmly accept on OMSAS and when you actually are removed from all other wait lists. I firmly accepted Toronto on a Monday, received an offer from McMaster on Wednesday afternoon. On Thursday morning, Wendy from McMaster emailed me to say that she just got the message that I had firmly accepted Toronto. If your friend really wants to attend U of T, he should call Toronto immediately, before they realize that he has accepted Western and give his seat to somebody else on the list.

sneaky, very sneaky :) Hope it works!

Archived