Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites...

Guest Biochem10

Guest Biochem10

Just writing to tell everyone that the interview invites are coming out for the MD/PhD program. I received mine by e-mail today and the date of the first Med school interviews is February 28. I`m so excited and freaked out.... Well, I guess I have a month or so to calm myself down. :\

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Kirsteen

Congratulations Biochem10!

Can I ask, are you an undergrad applicant or graduate applicant to UofT, i.e., have you completed or are you in the process of completing a graduate degree?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

don't stress too much peachy. I got a U of T invite last year in late april, and i know people who got theirs in may, just a few days before the last interview weekend.

yeah, I know that MD interviews can come at any time - it's the PhD part I'm worried about :) --- thanks meds2006mcgill - that eases my mind a little.

Does anyone know anything about how many MD/PhD applicants they interview and then accept relative to the size of the applicant pool?

Biochem.....congratulations! I have heard that some of the schools interview alphabetically. What letter does your last name start with?

Good luck with your interview

Congratulations on the interview Biochem10.

When I called, I was told that interview invites for MD will be sent within the next 3-6 week period. Refusal letters should also be sent around the same time.

Interviews are scheduled for:

Feb 28

March 1, 2, 29, 30, 31

April 11, 12, 13

Congrats, peachy!!

Does this imply that the U of T med students have finished reading all the essays? Or do they read those who applied to the MD/PhD program first? It would be great if U of T moderators can comment on this.

The waiting continues.....

Krish

Guest Biochem10

Congrats Peachy and yes, I will see you at the lunch on the 28th. Looks like we're the only ones on this board interested in this program. It's no surprise to me, most of my classmates hate research. Now, all we have to do is get mentally prepared! See you later.

Guest cheech10

I wish I could comment definitively, but the 2nd years are the ones that read the essays. IIRC, the essays are read in batches (corresponding to the interview dates), so not all the essays have been read/files have been looked at. Also, I think there are slightly separate rules for the MD/PhD group, but I think they might be read at the same time as the first group, with a second batch later on.

The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards essays being read in batches, with your file being totally ignored (except for ensuring completeness) until its batch comes up.

Guest Biochem10

hi SoHo, I just wanted to clear up something about the application process to MD/PhD program that I learned from some previous applicants. Yes, I think they do read our essays first, but we also compete with the general MD pool. Therefore, if our essay is not up to the standard for the MD program, we will not be granted an interview. In terms of the final decision, the MD admissions office has the last word, no matter how much the MD/PhD committee likes us, we will not get in without approval from the MD committee. Anyway, I knew a guy who was a great researcher, he also had a 4.0 and great MCAT scores, but he just didn't have the personality for medicine. He got rejected on his first time applying to MD/PhD at U of T after the interviews. He ended up in doing an MD/PhD in the states. So, I think the process is fair, I think they try to get the MD/PhD applicants out of the way first because they only accept around 5 and if you don't get accepted into the combined program it's still possible to be accepted into the MD only stream.

Guest cheech10

No, you actually compete with the entire batch. They do have a general idea of how strong your application needs to be to be granted an interview, and a few extra or fewer interviews isn't going to be a big deal (to them).

If they reviewed the entire group of files at once, they could send out interview notices all at once, but last year those in later batches were not notified until 2-3 weeks before their interview (and some were notified 2-3 *days* before their interviews).

Archived