Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites...

Guest Biochem10

Has anyone received a rejection letter from Toronto? Do they send these out in batches as well? I am hoping that no news is good news. Also, has anyone received an interview for the weekend of March 29th? Just wondering when the next batch comes out :)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just got my U of T interview invite today for Feb 28th! (I guess they're still on batch 1, or just slightly delayed)

either way, good luck to everyone, and see some of you in two weeks! :D

Guest tappety tap

congrats Batman. Do you live near TO? They didn't give you much notice at all! I'm trying to plan a trip for the last week of Feb but it's not refundable so I have to make sure that I'm not in the first batch before I book!

Guest Namgalsip

Congrats Batman,

Wow, it seems like they're even dividing their batches into batches :lol . I got my invite for the 28th 2 weeks ago.

I guess I'll see you there!

Nams

I would think that it's likely that as people reject interviews, or are unavailable for the first weekend, or whatever, they move people from the second batch to the first batch?

My friend received a call from the U of T meds office yesterday, and it turned out to be an interview invite. I'm not sure why they're bothering to call so early (isn't the first interview date over 2 weeks away?) but just to let you guys know they're still sending invites out for the first round of interviews...

I don't think that two weeks is all that long away, personally. :) Seriously, though, since many schools have reading week between now and then lots of students may be planning to be traveling, so it's important to find out asap about interviews on the March 1/2 weekend.

I'm in Toronto, so two weeks notice isn't bad (hell, i'm not complaining!) I'm sure they take that into account for OOP applicants.

I got reading week Feb 17-22, and I'm heading off to the rockies to ski. Hitting up Lake Louise and Sunshine for some pre-interview mogul bashing, powder heaven....

Guest Kirsteen

Geez,

Maybe I'm a little weary after my flight back to Toronto today, but on first read of the above post, I was a little shocked and bewildered. Thankfully, upon second read I'm now simply amused! :D

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Hi there,

First of all, thx to all the people who post and share their rich source of knowledge :D . I just found out about this site tonight, and I've read through a lot of the postings and have learned so much.

Just a couple of questions though: If we're selecting in batches, then are there a set # of seats reserved for each batch? Or is everyone equally competitive for each seat available? Also, is that rumour about all the rejecting letters being sent already, true?? I haven't heard from UT yet, so I just assumed no news is good news.

Thx!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi Bleepo,

I think I preface most responses like this with the same warning: medical school admissions policies and practices can (and often do) evolve from year to year, but in previous years, UofT has sent out the rejections in batches too. There typically is a very early batch of rejections sent to those undergraduate applicants who failed to meet the basic standards (by a fair bit, i.e., not simply one point from an MCAT cut-off). Thereafter, rejections seem to be sent out as the batches are reviewed; therefore, when the batch is reviewed for the February invitations, a batch of corresponding rejections will be sent, and so on.

Good luck!

Kirsteen

Guest Shahenshah

I agree with Kirsteen as that makes the most sense..I can't see them rejecting people without even opening up a batch (except for those who didn't make the mcats cuttoff etc..this year the adcom were pretty firm on the requirements, so I am sure only a few optimistic people sent their applications in without the requirements)..I think the bulk of the rejections (as is with the interviews) will come batch by batch..I know its such an agonizing wait, but its much closer now than it was in october:) ...aaaaah who am I kidding, 'GO FASTER UofT FASTER!!!!!!)8o

Guest Biochem10

I've already heard of one person getting an interview with one MCAT score below the so-called cut offs, so I think U of T is sticking to a flexible process.

Oh ok... so I guess the wait continues ..haha

In terms of MCAT cut-offs, I also know of a person that got an interview w/o meeting the cut-offs. So how do they carry out the final assessment? Is there a set # of seats per batch?

Guest laccase

Hi Peachy,

I'm wondering if you know Leslie Taylor? or did she give people who ask questions for updates?

I'm wondering for people invited for MD/PhD on Feb 28, what time are your interviews? are your MD interviews on the next day? thanks!

Hi Laccase,

I don't know her personally, but she came and gave a talk at my school about U of T admissions and someone asked about the one-point-below issue. She answered that yes, there is leeway for being one point below the cutoff in any one section.

My MD/PhD interview is on Friday, and my MD interview is the next day. Are you another MD/PhD'er, Laccase? If so, when's your interview?

peachy

Guest Biochem10

Hey laccase, are you going to the MD/PhD reception on the 28th? I don't know if I will be able to make because they rescheduled my interview time to 11:45, well, if the interview only lasts 1/2 hr I will attend. See you & peachy then.

Archived