Premed 101 Forums

Another Police Record Check thread!

Hi everyone,

Im sorry for bringing this subject again, I did a search and found many threads about it, but It's still not clear to me if they look the entire record or only the criminal records.

Im not sure if this happened to anyone, but anyway here is my case (I live in Montreal btw, and will apply at Mcgill and UdM)... I was smoking a joint with a group of friends in a park, police came by, they searched me and I had nothing. They took my info anyway and said they will put a note on my file saying I was in small "possession" of marijuana because I was smoking on a joint... however no charges or criminal record of course.

I don't even smoke very much, and it's only with friends sometime (I dont buy), So I told myself I don't really care about their stupid note... until I remembered there is a police record check when you apply for Medecine. So now I am quite worried... Has anyone ever had some kind of notes like that? And does it show when you apply for medicine or do they only look real criminal record?

It doesn't seem like a big deal, but still, it never plays in your favor when your record isn't clean. Im wondering if anyone ever had any questions or anything related to a "note" in their police file.

Thanks a lot for your time and information

I think they're looking for charges instead, but even if the adcom would see the note, I don't think it would make any difference in your file.

Seriously doubt there will be an issue, but you yourself can always pay for and recieve your police check and see what it says. I strongly suspect without charges etc nothing will appear and you would be fine.

Hi everyone,

Im sorry for bringing this subject again, I did a search and found many threads about it, but It's still not clear to me if they look the entire record or only the criminal records.

Im not sure if this happened to anyone, but anyway here is my case (I live in Montreal btw, and will apply at Mcgill and UdM)... I was smoking a joint with a group of friends in a park, police came by, they searched me and I had nothing. They took my info anyway and said they will put a note on my file saying I was in small "possession" of marijuana because I was smoking on a joint... however no charges or criminal record of course.

I don't even smoke very much, and it's only with friends sometime (I dont buy), So I told myself I don't really care about their stupid note... until I remembered there is a police record check when you apply for Medecine. So now I am quite worried... Has anyone ever had some kind of notes like that? And does it show when you apply for medicine or do they only look real criminal record?

It doesn't seem like a big deal, but still, it never plays in your favor when your record isn't clean. Im wondering if anyone ever had any questions or anything related to a "note" in their police file.

Thanks a lot for your time and information

Alright thanks guys, I feel a little less worried now. I would have been extremely disapointed if all my hard work and goals were in danger because of such a stupid incident. However, you are completely right, we are responsible of our actions, and I have not always been hanging with the good crowd, I think I need to clean up my circle of friends in order to not get into that kind of trouble again.

I mean, it would just be unfair. They know you used to be in possession of a joint, but they don't know anything about their other applicants. And I'm about sure they're not all clean.

The only way to be fair is to use the same criteria for everybody : "GPA, interviews, MCAT, etc".

Alright thanks guys, I feel a little less worried now. I would have been extremely disapointed if all my hard work and goals were in danger because of such a stupid incident. However, you are completely right, we are responsible of our actions, and I have not always been hanging with the good crowd, I think I need to clean up my circle of friends in order to not get into that kind of trouble again.

(10 characters):o

whats wrong with smoking pot

To my knowledge, it's still against the law in Canada... whether officers are actually prosecuting for small possession, I doubt.

Anyway OP: I would not worry. A "note" on your file is nothing. That won't show up in a police records check, only convictions or charges would appear (to my knowledge). Rest easy.

I'm pretty sure that the police record check only includes convictions. For instance, I know that when you apply for a job where they ask you for one that you will still have a "clean" record even if you have been charged for a criminal offence. Unfortunately, I know this from experience. Therefore, I don't see how applying for medicine would be any different since they are asking you to provide the same check. Essentially, you could have 100 charges and as long as you were not convicted, the police record check will be fine for you.

Archived