Premed 101 Forums

Question: Omsas Gpa Conversion

Hello.

From what I have read, OMSAS requires that incompletes and withdrawals that appear on your transcripts are entered as a failed grade (0 GPA).

My overall GPA (according to my university) is a 3.88. I have two incompletes (8 credits) and 1 WF (4 credits). My university DOES NOT consider these in my weighted gpa. Without their inclusion, I am a very competitive candidate (and I have excelled in all of the other relevant areas). If I enter these 12 credits as F'S (0 GPA) I have a 3.45. Consequently, I am no longer a competitive candidate and will probably not even make it past the minimum cut off.

Has anyone else dealt with this? If so, what was your approach? Did you identify your incompletes or WFs as failed grades? Is there any way to appeal this or to get around it?

I am specifically interested in McMaster and Ottawa. Does anyone know how these schools will treat incompletes and WFs? Will they use OMSAS's calculation or will they perform their own calculation (will they consider my GPA as 3.88 or 3.45?)

Thanks for clarifying...!

From OMSAS

"3. When completing my academic record, how do I treat a course from which I withdrew?

If you withdrew without academic penalty (if, for example, you withdrew within the stated deadlines), you do not enter the course at all. If, however, you were assigned a penalty (i.e. the course shows on your transcript with a "fail" or "incomplete" notation), you should enter the course with a failing grade"

My understanding if you drop after the deadlines ontario meds will consider them as Fs

I would recommend you speak to the profs who facilitated the courses in which you earned the "incompletes" and see if you could hand in some extra work to get a better grade. However, before doing that check with your registrar's to see if their is a timeframe deadline that a prof can change your grade (i.e 2 yrs. from the start of the course)

good luck!

________

WEED VAPORIZER

Archived