Premed 101 Forums

Omitting "small" EC things from ABS

Do you guys think it is disadvantageous to include a lot of the smaller EC things we did in our apps? Say, if we volunteered for just half a year, or a week or a weekend for a certain program... Are we better off only listing our major commitments so as not to appear to be the type of person that merely does things for the hell of writing a line on their app?

If you have more than 48 things that you could put in your sketch, put the ones that showed the longest commitment and/or that you think taught you something relevent to medicine. If you have less, I think you should put everything.

I put everything I could think of in my sketch, ended up with about 40 things. I know others with about 20 things.

As long as you can explain what you learned from your experiences and how you can apply these skills to your life, I don't think any length of experience is too short.

-Jaclyn

Yeah, I agree with JeraJaclyn. If you have more than 48 ABS entries then I would select the longer and most relevant commitments. If you have less then the 48 entries then use everything you have. This wont count against you, it just wont be as strong as the longer commitments. There are many very positive events (ie walk for breast cancer) that require only brief volunteering (ie 12 hours over a weekend). These events can make a huge difference and relay heavy on volunteers. You should be proud of attending and volunteering!

Archived