Premed 101 Forums

screwed for Rads?

Make sure your elective time will allow you to spend enough time with one person if a LOR is your goal. Many electives have you rotating through different areas of the department every day.

Another option is to see if there is something relatively simple, like a case report, that you can write up.

You can try contacting schools again to see if there are any elective spots that have opened up due to cancellations - 2 weeks at any one location should be enough.

Your best bet is probably getting known by people on, or known to, the selection committees so that deficiencies on paper are outweighed. But like everyone else, do have a backup plan.

unfortunately it's going to be an uphill battle given you don't have much on your side in terms of showing commitment to the specialty & that other candidates may have been preparing from an earlier stage

however I do think that your pre-clinical grades will certainly help you standout

also keep in mind that there are others who made last minute decisions on rad and managed to match in the end - so the game is not over yet

I would focus on the following

(1) try to get LORs from radiologists on your electives - this can be hard but you'll need to play the game well

(2) try to get some away electives - even if they are not in radiology - to show that you are willing to travel away for residency

you really don't know how competitive you are until the interview stage - you can judge by the # of interviews you will receive; so I wouldn't give up at this stage; there are many pleasant and unpleasant surprises at carms, such that you just cannot predict

the worst is going unmatched; even then you can try again the next year with hopefully better CVs and even consider the US where there are more than 1000 positions available (vs 50-60 for English speaking spots in Canada)

I read Kirsteen's story, and how she met with some Program Directors and am considering doing that.

Thoughts on improving my chances?

Have you looked at some of Ian's old posts describing what he did between Meds 4 and his rads match? There's some good stuff there, if memory serves.

Archived