Premed 101 Forums

Name on a paper

How much work/effort do you have to put in someone elses research project to have your name included in a research paper? For example, if your supervisor is doing research and you are helping with the research can I ask to include my name in the research paper?

Normally, potential authorship should be discussed prior to beginning work on a project. If your supervisor didn't come right out and say "if you do this, this, this and this, your name will be on the paper, at this point in the author list", then I would say that your supervisor is not expecting you to be contributing enough for authorship. On the flip side, they may already be anticipating putting your name on the paper, but not mention it because they assumed it was automatic.

Based on that, I have always found it best to discuss my authorship on a study before it commences, that way I know what I'm getting out of it in terms of publication, and I apply my effort accordingly.

In general, data collection/data entry/running gels does not constitute authorship, though some PIs will put these people on papers as a goodwill gesture, recognizing the hard work that goes into doing these things.

It is absolutely PI-specific. In our lab, the general rule is that if you contribute a figure to the paper, then you go on the author list. The order of the author list usually corresponds to the significance of the figure, as well as other intangibles (how much you contributed to the writing of the paper and the design of the experiments).

That being said, our PI is fairly liberal in giving out authorships, and I have seen other labs where the same "rule" does not apply. I, for one, do not discuss authorships before undertaking a project. If my PI tells me to work on a particular project, I do it. If I get onto the paper or not is entirely up to him. That's his job.

It is absolutely PI-specific. In our lab, the general rule is that if you contribute a figure to the paper, then you go on the author list. The order of the author list usually corresponds to the significance of the figure, as well as other intangibles (how much you contributed to the writing of the paper and the design of the experiments).

That being said, our PI is fairly liberal in giving out authorships, and I have seen other labs where the same "rule" does not apply. I, for one, do not discuss authorships before undertaking a project. If my PI tells me to work on a particular project, I do it. If I get onto the paper or not is entirely up to him. That's his job.

I've had the same experience as Permanent Waves. I do not discuss whether or not I am getting credit for what I do for a particular study, I just do it, and knowing that my supervisor and I are on good terms, I recognize that I will be rewarded somewhere along the line. Perhaps not for this current project, but for another. There is definitely no 'rule' as to whether or not you are given authorship.

Talk to other students in the lab you are in/considering to find out what kind of authorship opportunities exist.

I agree, there is no rule, it is PI-specific, but I still suggest inquiring about the potential for authorship when interviewing with a PI for a job. It shows them you're serious, and that you want to make enough commitment to warrant having your name on a paper. Sure I've been rewarded down the line with authorship on things I never expected to be on, but when it came to my main project assignment, it was very clear between my PI and I before I started work, that if I did X, Y and Z, the first author spot was mine. You may not be asking for first authorship, but if you express a desire to be doing work that warrants authorship, I don't see it not going over well. It shows you want more responsibility than just running gels over and over.

How much work/effort do you have to put in someone elses research project to have your name included in a research paper? For example, if your supervisor is doing research and you are helping with the research can I ask to include my name in the research paper?

In my personal experience...it never hurts to ask if the opportunity arises. If you know that a project you are working on is getting published...ask your PI to be included! You should never hesitate to bring up the idea of being on a paper...this could mean plenty for your own personal academic career! Also, be ready to present a case for yourself - i.e., why you think your work warrants authorship.

From experience - this approach definitely payed off. I wasn't even considered for authorship until I asked my PI myself (she didn't even mention to me that she was publishing; I found out from a lab mate). I was just a volunteer at that lab but boy did it pay off :)

Good luck and I hope you get yourself on a paper :)

Archived