Premed 101 Forums

depressed, and need some advice from strangers

sad

here's my honest opinion:

1.) premed cookie-cutter gunners who think you need to have a provincial record in the 10 m sprint, play 12 instruments, and cured malaria while on a selfless volunteering expedition are total ****ing squares.

2.) you have a very interesting back story. One that reflects your struggle and determination to keep going. Med school is not the hardest thing to do in the world. You had a few bad GPA years to begin with, but you are clearly capable of doing well.

It sucks that for people like you, who have a very interesting backstory, your application is essentially shredded paper for hamster cages unless you have a competitive GPA/MCAT. Unfortunately, that is the only way to deal with the THOUSANDS of med applications out there. All you need is to pass the cutoffs that so that your story will be read/heard.

So keep going. Keep doing the undergraduate years and get those marks up for Queen's/Western. You're 22? Jesus the average age to get into meds in Canada is like 24. You are so young and have incredible potential. Just keep going for the gold, and **** the cookie-cutters

Wow, what a rough story! I hope things start turning around there, and I can sure see how getting hit with all that can bring you down.

You wouldn't have posted if you weren't serious about med school. There are some things you are going to need to do likely to get a good shot at it. NewfieMike is right, just due to the system you have to hit certain GPA/MCAT cutoffs. Still you don't seem to be that far off of what you need for some schools right now! Do well next year and you can apply to Queens and Western. Do a good "extra" year after and perhaps you can get in at Ottawa. I think you would have a lot to say at an interview, and that will go a long way for you!!

Best of luck!

rmorelan I knew you would reply. You drool at posts like this

You know I was going to comment that you were going to say something like that! We both are getting predictable :)

What can I say - I guess I feel that people with interesting back stories like this can ultimately make better doctors. I am glad some schools seem to be posed to pick them up.

What's worse than the cookie-cutter gunners are the ones who JUDGE other pre-meds. i.e. "Oh Tyro's not good enough to get in, is hopelessly banking on a couple of schools, screwed up 1st/2nd year, etc" Even worse, my very own conservative Chinese father(a medical doctor trained in China) told me I was "shaming the family with poor grades", and told me I'd never make it in the real world:( . My uncle told me to head out to the Caribbean because he thought I didn't have what it takes. All my so called friends told me to just "give up and get over it". Sadly, some of the only support and motivation I had was from THIS forum, which I'm so grateful for:). Well, persistence and life experiences pay off, because I got into Queen's last week.:D I'm so happy to start med school this fall, and further I'm glad I can finally escape my suffocating Asian father/other relatives.

Sad, I KNOW where you're coming from. I also suffered through depression after a string of terrible life experiences starting in grade 12. My life was complete hell and I should've withdrew but I didn't. I ended up failing a bunch of courses in first year, and my cGPA is still poor. But I am so thankful to schools that are willing to forgive and give second chances. I did very well on the MCAT and my two year GPA was sufficient, so I managed a few interviews, and got an offer from Queen's off the WL last week. Is it fair that I got in over the cookie cutter gunners who planned every moment of their life since high school in order to get a chance at med? They don't think so of course, but then the question becomes is it fair that I and others like yourself are thrown terrible life experiences that make it impossible for us to function optimally during such a crucial time?

Sad - I believe in you and I know you can do it. Just get the GPA next year, and kill the MCAT. You'll get interviews at least at Queen's and Western. And don't worry about age, esp. since you're still young, and med school is made up of a wide range of age groups. ECs are secondary to the MCAT and GPA, so don't stress too much about those, and you mentioned work experience in health care, so that will really help. Good luck, and don't ever give up.:)

here's my honest opinion:

1.) premed cookie-cutter gunners who think you need to have a provincial record in the 10 m sprint, play 12 instruments, and cured malaria while on a selfless volunteering expedition are total ****ing squares.

2.) you have a very interesting back story. One that reflects your struggle and determination to keep going. Med school is not the hardest thing to do in the world. You had a few bad GPA years to begin with, but you are clearly capable of doing well.

It sucks that for people like you, who have a very interesting backstory, your application is essentially shredded paper for hamster cages unless you have a competitive GPA/MCAT. Unfortunately, that is the only way to deal with the THOUSANDS of med applications out there. All you need is to pass the cutoffs that so that your story will be read/heard.

So keep going. Keep doing the undergraduate years and get those marks up for Queen's/Western. You're 22? Jesus the average age to get into meds in Canada is like 24. You are so young and have incredible potential. Just keep going for the gold, and **** the cookie-cutters

that is a very sad life story, and i hope it gets better for you...

i know what you are going through, though my life story is not as extreme as yours, i have also been depressed for other reasons.

you may want to apply to U.S. schools, since they tend to look at your application more holistically instead of just looking at the numbers first (though low numbers wont help you). you could explain your life story in the personal statement that is required for the application. since (im assuming) you arent a U.S. citizen/resident you will be competing with more people, for less seats.

but if you can pull off a decent gpa and mcat score, and explain your situation well in the personal statement, i would say you have a fairly good shot at some U.S. schools...

Just from a quick vector analysis, it looks like your decisions and marks are improving every year!

And yeah Mike is right the avg age is like 23-25 depending on the school (some even higher) so you aren't really that far behind. All you need is 1-2 more years of good undergrad exp. (+ a steady MCAT) and you're probably in.

See you in meds 2014-2015.

Continue with your undergrad at a "normal" pace and you still have a chance. Do an additional year if you have to and improve your GPA as much as you can. I wish you good luck. I sort of went down the same road (during 2nd year) when I had a death in my family and ended up getting straight Cs and Ds so I can empathize with you. I really hope that if something like this happens to anyone else they don't use school as a method to help with depression - that almost never works. I'm really sorry for your loss.

NewfieMike, rmorelan, tyro, tompi, AdamP and Waltz

you're all awesome, amazing people and thank you to all of you for replying. tyro, congrats on getting in, your story made me smile! it was sad yet encouraging to hear that i'm not the only person out there going through this, and believe it or not, you guys restored my hope and belief in myself. right now i am considering doing an extra (5th year) of my undergrad but will still apply to graduate school this september just in case i change my mind later on.

i did some calculations and if i work my butt off i can end up with a 3.5 cGPA next may when i'm supposed to graduate. if i do an extra 5th year it will only come up to 3.6 (this is OMSAS by the way) IF i get a 90+ in every course. as much as i'd like to show faith in myself i'm not going to say i'm superman and will be able to do it. considering this, do you guys still think it's a good idea to do an extra year? i've been thinking of grad school, mostly because of these reasons:

1) it will give me more knowledge!

2) i will be more mature when i apply

3) i will have an extra degree

4) if i apply during the first year of my grad school and i get rejected everywhere, i'll still have another year of grad school during which i can try again.

5) some med schools look fabourably upon grad school but i hear the ones i have the greatest chances at (queens and western) don't really care?

so like i said - do you guys think i should spend one more year doing undergrad courses with the hopes that my GPA would only go up by 0.1 or less? it's not like i will make the cutoffs with a 3.6 cGPA anyways, so isn't a grad degree better?

please enlighten me, wise ones :)

and you're all going to be great doctors one day if you care so much about a random stranger on the internet who is sad, because you all show compassion. thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Sad: I hope soon we'll see your username change to "Happy"

:D

If it's your GPA you want to raise, you may want to look into a 2nd undergrad. If you've already got one undergrad, it'll be about 2 more years of undergrad depending on the degree and transfer credits. There's quite a few threads/ posts on this on here, so do a "search" and have a look through them.

It sounds like you are in Ontario; so, where and when do you want to apply?

Getting into med school is a journey; enjoy the ride ;) You are young, so take your time in this process if it's something you have your heart set on.

Hope that helps :)

Although doing an extra year might only increase your GPA by 0.1, did you add in the fact that some schools will drop your previous years? For example, Ottawa only looks at your most recent 3 years (with emphasis on the recent ones), and Dal only looks at your most recent 2 years. Other schools will only look at your best 2 or best 3 years.

Doing a graduate degree can help in getting in because of the more advanced degree, but that only works at some schools. In the end, the best way to make yourself fit into that cookie cutter is to do a second undergrad (unfortunately, this takes the longest time).

Personally, I would take the extra year of undergrad.

i've been thinking of grad school, mostly because of these reasons:

1) it will give me more knowledge!

2) i will be more mature when i apply

3) i will have an extra degree

4) if i apply during the first year of my grad school and i get rejected everywhere, i'll still have another year of grad school during which i can try again.

5) some med schools look fabourably upon grad school but i hear the ones i have the greatest chances at (queens and western) don't really care?

so like i said - do you guys think i should spend one more year doing undergrad courses with the hopes that my GPA would only go up by 0.1 or less? it's not like i will make the cutoffs with a 3.6 cGPA anyways, so isn't a grad degree better?

I think you should really avoid doing a grad degree unless your real #1 reason is you think you would really enjoy it and you found a great idea and/or lab in which to work, and you thing you would have a good time for 2 years or more, depending on how long it takes you to complete it. Unless you really feel that way, I would just go with another undergrad degree or another undergrad year. I think it would be more helpful for getting into med, and you have less chance of not enjoying it. A grad degree is a big endeavor, it's a decision that should not be taken lightly. It takes 2 years in theory, but in practice it can take longer.

I know quite a few people where having a graduate degree hasn't really helped them in the admissions process. Often, it took a year off after their degree in order to be admitted (usually while they worked and volunteered in medicine-related areas).

But if you want to do a graduate degree and know the amount of work that all of the research will require, then go ahead, especially if you want to do research with your MD. (Have you had any research experience?)

Also, because of your personal circumstances that have affected your performance and extracurriculars etc, there is usually a place on the application forms to explain any reasons why your situation should be considered differently.

I would suggest applying this year and seeing where that gets you. Maybe apply to grad schools as well. I know of people with your cGPA who've gotten into schools such as Dalhousie.

I know quite a few people where having a graduate degree hasn't really helped them in the admissions process. Often, it took a year off after their degree in order to be admitted (usually while they worked and volunteered in medicine-related areas).

I'm sorry if I was a bit discouraging to those considering applying to grad school. It's a great option. I think that the issue is how you look at your experiences in grad school and learn from them. I don't think that it's good to just go through with it to add to your "premed resume". If you're going to do grad school, learn the most that you can and gain confidence, leadership skills, and enthusiasm for your research project(s). It will give you a lot of great things to speak about at your med school interviews. I'm considering going the grad school route now (I keep changing my mind)... and maybe doing a Master's of Applied Science.

I would suggest applying this year and seeing where that gets you. Maybe apply to grad schools as well. I know of people with your cGPA who've gotten into schools such as Dalhousie.

Probably not as a non-Maritime applicant, though, but a very solid last two years will do the trick.

hi

im a lurker on here and believe me when i say this i've spent more hours than you can imagine reading through threads trying to find someone who went through the same thing as me, and so far i have not. here is my story

i started undergrad and after a month, dropped all my courses because my mother was terminally ill (cancer). i had spent my entire last semester of high school taking care of her (did online courses) and the entire summer as well, but none of her treatments worked. although i did have older siblings and my dad, the responsibility just fell on my shoulders because my siblings were in their final years of med/undergrad. so i was my mom's primary caregiver and stayed with her all the time.

so i drop my courses cause there was no way i was managing school along with taking care of her, i was her power of attorney (at 18, yeah weird i know) and i needed to be there for her. and two weeks after i dropped them, my mom passed away. as hard as it was to deal with that, my family then started having financial issues and i had to basically find 3 part-time jobs and do my best. also had to look after dad cause he was devastated and became sick himself and couldn't work. siblings were in school and could only support themselves.

so my mom passed away in late nov. and in jan my siblings encouraged me to go back to school as it would "help with my depression" - i listened to them, and it was a big mistake, because i was working like 50 hours a week and ended up taking 0.5 of a credit (physical chem) and got a 54. that was my "first year"

summer after that i took a course and got an A

year after that which was my second year, i took 5.5 courses and had some 60s, some 70s, some 80s and a 90. i was still working, paying bills and dealing with my dad's health probs, as well as my OWN health problems and commuting. siblings had moved out.

summer after that year also took courses. then this past year my situation finally got better. it was cause i realized that i was basically sacrificing my entire life on my family, when my older siblings probably owed more and were doing nothing. so i put my foot down and started pushing myself harder, staying up till 4 everyday studying if that's what it took. got an annual GPA of 3.8 this year taking all medical science courses, mostly 3rd years.

i've been working in the healthcare field since i was 14, and i'm 22 now. i have some ECs but it's not like i play any instruments, or play any sports. i'm just an exec for a few clubs, that too i just started this past year.

i'm becoming more and more depressed as i read these forums and see my peers. i'm not jealous, i just wish i too had been able to follow a normal path. it hurts me to know i had the potential to do so much better and know that i couldn't because of what life has thrown my way. i'm growing a bit weary of being strong because i never seem to get a break from life's crap. i ask myself if med schools will even care if i was trying to help my mom stay alive and later paying the rent - because all that matters is a GPA and i don't have that from my second year, and i have a missing first year (unless you count the D in physical chem, woohoo). i'm completing my 4 year degree in 3 years this coming april and although i might be able to pull another good year, i don't know what to do next. i'm going to write the MCAT next summer and then apply in the cycle after that. but i don't know if i should do another year of undergrad or go to grad school - if i do go to grad school should i go for a 1 year program or 2 years?

all this stress is really bringing me down, i usually shut up and keep going, but i can't even study for my tests anymore and often find myself lonely and without help. i'm not saying i'm SUCH a victim, i mean i do have a great dad and some nice friends, but i never tell anyone how i feel because i don't want to depress other people. since this forum is quite anonymous, i'd like to know what people here think i should do.

i'm finishing a 4 year degree in 3 years - meaning where most people have 4 years of marks to pick from, i have three, plus three summers of marks which some schools won't even consider. i can't use the wGPA system at U of T or Ottawa because of the half credit i took in my "first year". my best chances would be at queens or western should i make the MCAT cutoffs, so should i do another undergrad year? or apply to a grad school, spend 2 years there and then apply?

i'm sorry for the long post but i guess sometimes we just need to let it all out.

You will be fine. You will have a wonderful biographical essay to write--your GPA is wonderful for someone who has been through so much. Your conviction and trials proves that you have maturity, strength, and compassion--something med schools are looking for.

Many admissions officers will tell you that they honestly don't care so much for the grades--just make the cutoff and the most important step is the interview and personal statements.

What's worse than the cookie-cutter gunners are the ones who JUDGE other pre-meds. i.e. "Oh Tyro's not good enough to get in, is hopelessly banking on a couple of schools, screwed up 1st/2nd year, etc" Even worse, my very own conservative Chinese father(a medical doctor trained in China) told me I was "shaming the family with poor grades", and told me I'd never make it in the real world:( . My uncle told me to head out to the Caribbean because he thought I didn't have what it takes. All my so called friends told me to just "give up and get over it". Sadly, some of the only support and motivation I had was from THIS forum, which I'm so grateful for:). Well, persistence and life experiences pay off, because I got into Queen's last week.:D I'm so happy to start med school this fall, and further I'm glad I can finally escape my suffocating Asian father/other relatives.

Sad, I KNOW where you're coming from. I also suffered through depression after a string of terrible life experiences starting in grade 12. My life was complete hell and I should've withdrew but I didn't. I ended up failing a bunch of courses in first year, and my cGPA is still poor. But I am so thankful to schools that are willing to forgive and give second chances. I did very well on the MCAT and my two year GPA was sufficient, so I managed a few interviews, and got an offer from Queen's off the WL last week. Is it fair that I got in over the cookie cutter gunners who planned every moment of their life since high school in order to get a chance at med? They don't think so of course, but then the question becomes is it fair that I and others like yourself are thrown terrible life experiences that make it impossible for us to function optimally during such a crucial time?

Sad - I believe in you and I know you can do it. Just get the GPA next year, and kill the MCAT. You'll get interviews at least at Queen's and Western. And don't worry about age, esp. since you're still young, and med school is made up of a wide range of age groups. ECs are secondary to the MCAT and GPA, so don't stress too much about those, and you mentioned work experience in health care, so that will really help. Good luck, and don't ever give up.:)

Congrats--I understand where you are coming from...I haven't even told my parents I'm applying to med schools (or even thinking about it). It's just not worth the complaints and opinions.

Archived