Premed 101 Forums

Which med schools to apply to in Fall 2009 for a New Brunswicker?

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice about which schools to apply to in Canada this fall based on my stats and my experiences applying to schools over the past year. I really have no preferences for places to live (I've never spent time outside of the maritimes to be honest), but I have to limit my applications to a reasonable number of schools because of financial reasons.

My cGPA is 3.98/4.0 and my MCAT score was 33-O (V-10, P-11, B-12). I'm a NB resident from a rural region and so I may have some advantage at schools with rural recruitment (like Manitoba, NOSM, Alberta).

I have a relatively good amount of EC, volunteering, and research experiences(3 summers & Honours degree & 1 upcoming publication) and will be continuing with these and adding to them over the next year.

This past year, I applied to the following schools: Dalhousie, MUN, Toronto, Queen's, UWO, and Ottawa. I interviewed at Dal, MUN, and Toronto. I was waitlisted at Dalhousie, but am not likely to get off the waitlist. I didn't like my interview experiences at MUN and Toronto and I'm unsure that I will reapply to those schools. I prefer the MMI format.

Here is a list of schools that I'm considering applying to this fall:

Dalhousie, Ottawa, Calgary, NOSM, McMaster, Manitoba, Alberta, MUN, and Toronto.

Any advice or pointers on choosing which schools to apply to would be appreciated!

Why not continue buying tickets at UWO and Queen's. And go for McGill as well.

:)

Thanks for the encouragement.

Well, my MCAT writing score will probably never meet Queen's and UWO's cutoff anymore. I realize that the cutoffs change based on the applicant pools but I'd rather spend my money wisely.

McGill has 8 OOP seats and I don't think that I'm top 8 material. But I guess I could try.

I just need to get a job so that I can afford all of the applications....

I don't see any glaring problems with the list you have chosen.

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice about which schools to apply to in Canada this fall based on my stats and my experiences applying to schools over the past year. I really have no preferences for places to live (I've never spent time outside of the maritimes to be honest), but I have to limit my applications to a reasonable number of schools because of financial reasons.

My cGPA is 3.98/4.0 and my MCAT score was 33-O (V-10, P-11, B-12). I'm a NB resident from a rural region and so I may have some advantage at schools with rural recruitment (like Manitoba, NOSM, Alberta).

I have a relatively good amount of EC, volunteering, and research experiences(3 summers & Honours degree & 1 upcoming publication) and will be continuing with these and adding to them over the next year.

This past year, I applied to the following schools: Dalhousie, MUN, Toronto, Queen's, UWO, and Ottawa. I interviewed at Dal, MUN, and Toronto. I was waitlisted at Dalhousie, but am not likely to get off the waitlist. I didn't like my interview experiences at MUN and Toronto and I'm unsure that I will reapply to those schools. I prefer the MMI format.

Here is a list of schools that I'm considering applying to this fall:

Dalhousie, Ottawa, Calgary, NOSM, McMaster, Manitoba, Alberta, MUN, and Toronto.

Any advice or pointers on choosing which schools to apply to would be appreciated!

Thanks for the encouragement.

Well, my MCAT writing score will probably never meet Queen's and UWO's cutoff anymore. I realize that the cutoffs change based on the applicant pools but I'd rather spend my money wisely.

McGill has 8 OOP seats and I don't think that I'm top 8 material. But I guess I could try.

I just need to get a job so that I can afford all of the applications....

yeah, thats why I didn't bring up those schools either. Didn't think you would want to rewrite your test.

If you think the applications are expensive, wait until the interviews :)

Archived