Premed 101 Forums

Lost, Confused, In need of any help.

Hey guys,

Im about to enter my first year life sciences at UTM and after the orientation i am now scared ****less. In highschool i managed MOSTLY mid 80's (except math was the worst with 60's) and I know i have the personality and love for science to pursue a career in medecine.

Problem is, my social life (i.e. friends, girlfriend, family) makes me and has always made me. Is undergrad actually as bad as people say...will i have a day off to see my girl or my parents. Will i have weekdays where homework wont be assigned?

Another question is that I read about being a doctor and i simply want the family life as well. Which career in medecine offers much more flexible hours, maybe even less school. I was considering pediatrics (alot of school but i hear hours are good), part time physican/pediatric (lower pay but great social standing), dentistry, and i WISH optometry but my math is horrible.

Anyhow, ever sine that orientation i've been scared that i would be overwhelmed, overworked, my GPA will NEVER fulfill what a medschool wants, my application will be thrown out, and that i will lose everything. Im seriously going through some form of anxiety and in need of some reality-check and even optimism.

I DO love science. I DO want medecine. I DO want social life OUTSIDE of the students with me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH if youve read this, ive been surfing the site for a couple days now actually and am planning to be very active.

Relax, but understand in the transition form high school to UG, it is normal for there to be a drop in grades. We all mess up somewhere along the road, it will happen to you too, you just correct the problem and move forward.

The key is time management, to maintain focus and to study well. This does not mean put in the hours of study, the key is how you use your time to maximize learning and retention of knowledge. Stay on top of everything from the first day.

As regards to social life, you will see a range of views replying to you. I am unable to maintain a 'normal' social life and yet maintain all my ECs, volunteering, do my assignments and study. In choosing priorities, my social life is not even on the list, it resumes only during breaks, which is fine. As I cannot balance it all, I don't even try, so social life does not count.

As to which specialty to choose, the question is premature. Good luck.

Alright very true it is a premature choice.

For me my social life is what makes me get up in the morning, to go out and enjoy life, enjoy my girlfriend etc.

I know for a fact that school is going to be a tough road, especially in courses such as calc and physics which I have always been horrible in. I just really need insight on going out with friends on the weekend at least..not every week will be the same ofcourse but I dunno how my body will respond to waking up every morning knowing all thats ahead of me is studying.

Alright very true it is a premature choice.

For me my social life is what makes me get up in the morning, to go out and enjoy life, enjoy my girlfriend etc.

I know for a fact that school is going to be a tough road, especially in courses such as calc and physics which I have always been horrible in. I just really need insight on going out with friends on the weekend at least..not every week will be the same ofcourse but I dunno how my body will respond to waking up every morning knowing all thats ahead of me is studying.

For me it is simple. I do not go out with friends on the weekend. I am in a longterm relationship and we see each other 3/4 hours a week only. It is my choice b/c I am unable to have a great social life, great grades and fit in all my activities. So, do what you do with your eyes wide open, and if you suffer the consequences, you will have no regrets. I am an A to A+ student and am advancing my interests to carve out my future. If you are able to maintain an active and healthy social life in UG, as many students who have entered med school has, this is great. I am not able to do so and don't try. We are each different.

Are you in premed or medschool btw?

I see what you mean, and should I be doing extra curriculars during my first year?

I completed Cegep, college in Quebec, and will be obtaining my B. Sc. in May '10.

UG is a very difficult transition entering first year university, and you don't want to take on more than you can handle. I suggest that first you get your feet wet with academics, then in the 2nd semester, consider ECs. At university, there is nobody to spoonfeed you, tell you what is important and what is not, you make these decisions for yourself. In any given course, do you primarily depend upon the prof and your notes, or is this a backup to the texts, etc.? Each course, each prof is different. If I read every text I was yold to or that was suggested, I would still be reading texts from my first year courses. You need to figure out what you7 need to know, what you want to know for yourself and for exams and assignments. You could spend 8 hours reading, taking notes and filling your head full of useless academic garbage, while another student will zoom in on the key material in 30 minutes.

I have broken the code for myself and am able to take any random course or elective and ace the assignments and exams, multiple choice or essay. I could not do this at first. I spend at least 10 hours/wk in ECs, over 20 hours/week in volunteering, 15 hours in classes, then there are assignments and studying. All these are my priorities. It all comes down to priorities and making good choices along the way.

f_d, your life sounds ****ing terrible.

I work/volunteer 20 hours/week, study mon-thurs 6-11, and take 5 courses (most often with labs).

but friday at 5pm til sunday at 6pm is social life time.

Hey NewfieMike,

Truth be told, I love it, I love my life and ain't complainin' ..... bring it on. Also, I work hard and I play hard, so at break time, I make up for it all. It's entirely worth it. Friday nights, I am doing an EC about which I am passionate, same Sat. morning, Sunday afternoon another EC I thoroughly enjoy, and there is also studying on w/e. So, my life is packed and what with this forum:p , I cannot handle any more.:o:) I also do overnights as EMS volunteer (luckily Jochi gets paid for it).

sheesh!!! I can remember in undergrad wanting to have more fun but realizing what hinged on taking the time off to do so. I think the main reason I am accepted to med now has been my ability to force myself to do things through hard times. Yeah, school was tough (and getting good grades consumes time), and yeah maintaining ECs was tough (particularly the demanding ones), but it was also tough working part time jobs to help sustain the situation I was in (death in the family scewed things up).

I know you want to have fun Ramster, but also consider how much you really want medicine. Its sort of cool how things work themselves out. I feel like the harder things get, the better one is able to gauge if they are going for something they really, really, really want or if it is just a fleeting passion. Best of luck to you --- and remember Shakespear's quote "this above all - to thine own self be true."

sheesh!!! I can remember in undergrad wanting to have more fun but realizing what hinged on taking the time off to do so. I think the main reason I am accepted to med now has been my ability to force myself to do things through hard times. Yeah, school was tough (and getting good grades consumes time), and yeah maintaining ECs was tough (particularly the demanding ones), but it was also tough working part time jobs to help sustain the situation I was in (death in the family scewed things up).

I know you want to have fun Ramster, but also consider how much you really want medicine. Its sort of cool how things work themselves out. I feel like the harder things get, the better one is able to gauge if they are going for something they really, really, really want or if it is just a fleeting passion. Best of luck to you --- and remember Shakespear's quote "this above all - to thine own self be true."

See I know that I must work hard and study, but how is it humanly possible to do only that. to wake up in the morning and know its only studies. At the end of the week I just need some sort of social contact outside kids also as stressed as me etc. It obviously varies with everyone though --- i may be stuck stressed and not have time. As much as I want medecine, I also need my life, If i shut one of them out its not worth it.

what scares me is alot of those who worked like 24/7, gave up their social life, and continuously worked for the community and stuff.

They want medecine at such a different level then me. I love science and medecine would make the best use of that passion. For me, im family oriented, im hoping that my career as a doctor will secure my family, offer me a job that is flexible and wont die out.

Yeah, I guess everyone wants things in different ways. I think its great that you recognize that you are family-oriented / need social life still and are being realistic about it. I think it will make your life easier in the long run because you are planning accordingly. Best of luck to you!!!

Archived