Premed 101 Forums

New School...new degree

Hi there,

I am starting a new degree in the fall. I completed my first degree but feel as if my marks arent high enough for any Canadian medical school.

I just want to know the difference between doing a full course load but as a non degree student versus doing a full second degree. I know for western I cant apply until my last year of study, but what if I just do courses to "stay busy"? Can I still apply with my first degree marks? And how do other schools looks at just taking courses?

Any help would be great!

Hi there,

I am starting a new degree in the fall. I completed my first degree but feel as if my marks arent high enough for any Canadian medical school.

I just want to know the difference between doing a full course load but as a non degree student versus doing a full second degree. I know for western I cant apply until my last year of study, but what if I just do courses to "stay busy"? Can I still apply with my first degree marks? And how do other schools looks at just taking courses?

Any help would be great!

hi there!

western is a little particular about your beyond the first degree studying. If you start a new degree they will make you finish it (as you mentioned). You are allowed to do one special year (5th) year to try and apply to western, so before you start anything you need to ask yourself whether one year that follows their particular rules would be good enough to make a run at western. If it is then there is a potential short cut right there for you :)

I am not completely sure how western will handling doing a stream of non degree status years (at the full time level). If you want to use more than that one 'special year' then you do have to declare and finish a new degree, as they won't take more than one post graduating UG year. Likely better just to start a new degree at that point, as

Many of the other schools would consider them "just courses" but you would still need to be careful. Schools expect you to take year appropriate courses, so doing a string of first year courses in year 5,6,7.... to boost a GPA probably won't go over very well. You mention your GPA right now is pretty low - so likely a second UG still won't make you competitive at Toronto(?).

My understanding is that Queen will take your last two years, but I don't believe has specifics about post degree status, Mac just takes everything, NOSM will only consider courses from your second degree (which can be a big plus), and Ottawa also doesn't have a specific concern (on paper at least) about post degree courses (although they do review the application in more detail than just cut off yes/no to get to the interview).

Hi there,

Any help would be great!

What province are you in? Ontario?

Archived