Premed 101 Forums

As a med student did you apply to dental school as well?

Erm, I applied to med alone because I was only interested in med... Applying to dent would mean writing the DAT as well as the MCAT, and although some people may choose to do this, I found I had enough on my plate just worrying about the one exam. Moreover, I just wasn't interested in dent -- personally, it wasn't for me so I didn't really think to apply. Good luck with the waitlist!

how many of you med students applied to dental schools? wondering what the waitlist movement will look like. Do a lot of you guys cover your bases or what?? :)

Hmm.....I am not sure why you would want to apply to both unless you would really enjoy either of these careers.

Disclaimer: I'm not a med student, but I did apply, I got rejected this 'round, and I do intend on trying again. I am always amazed by the students that just apply to meds, law, or dents b/c of the prestige and/or money. While I suppose people hold those things in high regard and define themselves by it, I don't. There's more to life and a career, than these things.

Good luck with your applications :)

you guys are have good intentions and have done the right thing - but you are all the bearer of bad news.

really? some people do apply for both, the fields are not totally unrelated after all and there is a lot of common ground. Have a couple of friends who were deciding between both fields as they were accepted into medicine and dentistry this time around. Went for dentistry in the end.

Dentistry is a great field. Didn't apply, but I know it's a great career. I don't know if students don't give it enough thought.

Great money, great lifestyle, still get the "Dr" (if that really matters to you), run the practice like its a business so all the decisions go through you, very little politics and red tape (opposed to medicine and hospitals where the government is watching over everything).

Dents is much easier to get into, because in Ontario you're just a DAT score and GPA (ECs mean squat), learning curriculum is focused and relevant right from the start, and you can start practicing right after school and make big money (bigger than what most FPs would make).

The thing is, you need to know if Dents is 100% for you. However in med, you can get enrolled, try every flavour, and then pick something for you. In Dents, you're going to be dealing with teeth all day, and your path is pretty much set.

Dentistry is a great field. Didn't apply, but I know it's a great career. I don't know if students don't give it enough thought.

Great money, great lifestyle, still get the "Dr" (if that really matters to you), run the practice like its a business so all the decisions go through you, very little politics and red tape (opposed to medicine and hospitals where the government is watching over everything).

Dents is much easier to get into, because in Ontario you're just a DAT score and GPA (ECs mean squat), learning curriculum is focused and relevant right from the start, and you can start practicing right after school and make big money (bigger than what most FPs would make).

The thing is, you need to know if Dents is 100% for you. However in med, you can get enrolled, try every flavour, and then pick something for you. In Dents, you're going to be dealing with teeth all day, and your path is pretty much set.

Now that's a bold statement!

I didn't apply to dentistry because I'm hopeless with soaps and those logic puzzle things... I could probably train myself to do soaps, but probably I'd pull all my hair out before I could do a logic puzzle.

Also, I wasn't interested in Dentistry. :) Follow your heart!

I actually applied to both this year and I've heard of a small handful of other cases of that happening as well. So it definitely does happen.

Medicine is what I had wanted from the get go (7-8 years now) but seeing as how competitive it was, and being waitlisted and failing to get in twice before, I figured that this year I had to get into something. So I went all out and applied to more schools than ever before, thought about another career backup and found dentistry highly appealing as another option.

Dentistry has its advantages for sure as listed above. If you like the patient contact thing, and working with your hands, dentistry might work for you. It has a great lifestyle, you can be out and working in four years, and if you have some sort of business savy, highly lucrative.

The one downfall is that going into dentistry you become highly focused in your training right from the start. Unlike medicine where you have time to explore various fields a bit more broadly at the start and then eventually specialize in an area of interest, in dentistry you start with the mouth and then get more detailed from there. This can be a bit of a turn off for some. Especially if a year or two down the road you realized you don't want to deal with just the mouth for the rest of your career.

As for which one is being easier to get into? Hard to say. Dentistry is definitely more marks oriented. This is readily apparent from the application where all you have to do is submit your transcripts and an application fee to apply to dental schools whereas it's much more labour intensive for med (personal sketch, autobiography, references, etc). I found the DAT to pale in comparison to the MCAT in terms of material you needed to learn, but the other components (carving, spatial-perceptual) to be more a measure of inherent qualities you either possess or don't. I guess for me the DAT took a few weeks of intense studying and I was pretty much good to go. Mind you, studying for the MCAT the year before really helped matters for the science section. However, having extracurriculars to talk about during the interview really makes you stand out and it's probably what got me in at the end of the day.

I also found med hopefuls to be much more rounded in terms of extracurriculars and life experience than those who apply to dentistry (I make this statement on the basis of conversing with other interviewees at the four medical schools and three dental schools I interviewed at - so take that for what it's worth). I also thought the dentistry kids were a bit more younger (lots of third year/4th year applicants) while the med interviewees were more masters, taking a year off school/5th year kids. Not really sure if that can be generalized any farther than the sample size I encountered.

In the end, I was fortunate enough to accepted to both professions at the same school (which also happened to be my top choice school for both). So with little influence to school, location, city, etc., I ended up going with medicine. It was what I wanted from the very beginning and despite the agonizing decision, I feel that it's the right choice for me. Only time will tell if I end up regretting it.

Heh it was already hard enough deciding between a few medical schools, I couldn't imagine throwing dental schools into the mix.

I think I might have applied to dental (not a bad career choice either... for me at least... but like Wein said, you dont have much options open when you start dent) after two or three years of trying to get into med... otherwise, it was always med from the start

I didn't apply to dentistry because I'm hopeless with soaps and those logic puzzle things... I could probably train myself to do soaps, but probably I'd pull all my hair out before I could do a logic puzzle.

Also, I wasn't interested in Dentistry. :) Follow your heart!

logic puzzles?

im not too good with my hands and mechanical type things, i prefer abstraction and thought problems, so i dont think dentistry (or half of medicine for that matter) is for me... plus writing two tests instead of one sounds like a real *****

i would think it would be more than 20 spots for med, esp in ontario, dont you?

Thanks for the replies...

what's waitlist movement like for medschools?

I've heard that at U of T and UWO.. dentistry waitlists move at least 20 spots sometimes more... is this similar for medschool?

Archived