Premed 101 Forums

Emerg study books

I had bought An Introduction to Clinical Emergency Medicine: Guide for practicioners in the emergency department by SV Mahadevan and Gus m Garmel.

I like the book. Chapters are short and tell you the basics of what you need. Chapters are arranged by complaint eg Chest pain, fever in adults, fever in children which I think is good. There are good pictures and good use of colour.

I haven`t read it front to back. But I do like it. You can then go to Tintinalli or Rosens if you want more detail.

It is not a pocket book though. If you are looking for something small to carry around with you, this wouldn`t be it. And I have no recommendations either. I had bought the emerg pocket book (black little binder, same series as the red one people use for internal) but so far I haven`t liked it a whole lot.

I bought that little black book and I loved it. However, you need to have an actual understanding of EM before you can use it, because it assumes you know the details - it just fills in the minutae that may not cross your mind in the heat of the moment.

For actual reading, its good to start with something fairly simple like EM for Clerkship. It's written in prose, which I prefer. Furthermore, you could also try the mini-Tintinalli.

EM is hard to prepare for because it requires knowledge from every field.

Archived