Premed 101 Forums

Prerequisites and course load

Femto

Over the past couple of years I have been reading countless amounts of information pertaining to med-school admissions. There are, however, a couple of pieces of information I seem to be missing.

I plan on applying to most Canadian schools next year, during my 3rd year of undergrad. There are some schools who require certain prepreq's that I will be taking during 3rd year. Is this a problem considering the fact that the admissions staff will not see the marks for those classes until after the offers have been sent out?

Also, I have been involved in sport at a very high domestic level since the beginning of high-school, and since HS graduation, I competed for 2 years on the National Development Team. Before my athletics career "officially" ended, I began my undergrad on a part-time basis, majoring in Physical Sciences. So, at the time of application, I will be considered a full-time student during 3rd year, and have only completed one year of full-time studies - 2nd year.

I should also add that there was a very quick transition from competition to coaching, and I am now coaching a top team in the country on a full-time basis, in addition to full-time school.

Any thoughts?

Femto

Over the past couple of years I have been reading countless amounts of information pertaining to med-school admissions. There are, however, a couple of pieces of information I seem to be missing.

I plan on applying to most Canadian schools next year, during my 3rd year of undergrad. There are some schools who require certain prepreq's that I will be taking during 3rd year. Is this a problem considering the fact that the admissions staff will not see the marks for those classes until after the offers have been sent out?

Also, I have been involved in sport at a very high domestic level since the beginning of high-school, and since HS graduation, I competed for 2 years on the National Development Team. Before my athletics career "officially" ended, I began my undergrad on a part-time basis, majoring in Physical Sciences. So, at the time of application, I will be considered a full-time student during 3rd year, and have only completed one year of full-time studies - 2nd year.

I should also add that there was a very quick transition from competition to coaching, and I am now coaching a top team in the country on a full-time basis, in addition to full-time school.

Any thoughts?

Femto

Sounds like you are very active and busy person :) My I ask how close you are to completing your degree?

Many schools require full time years and/or only consider courses you took full time. Definitely going to have to tease out those schools and target them specifically. I believe Ottawa wants 3 full time years to apply and you only have one so far, MAC/Queens doesn't care as long as you have 15 full courses done (equivalent of 3 full time years) by the May just before you would be starting med school, Toronto does not consider the coming year for an app from this cycle, NOSM will require you to complete your degree in the coming year to apply (which doesn't sound likely with only one full time year?) and assuming your one full time year is higher than cut off you can apply to Western conditionally.

The pre req thing is a of a bit mess too. As far as I understanding things Ottawa will let you take them in the current year as long as they are done by the June just prior to the year you want to start med school, MAC has no prereqs, I am a little fuzzy on Queens but the general application system suggests you could complete them in the coming year (check with them of course!), Toronto prefers you to have already completed the prereqs but at the very least you must be shown to be currently enrolled in them when your transcripts arrive in the fall, and Western has no prereqs to worry about.

You may be able to get some special consideration considering things as well during the application process as you have a somewhat unusual situation

Best of luck!

Any thoughts?

Femto

Just ensure that you include unique situation in your answers and biographies--you'll be fine.

Thanks for the responses!

I have completed first year in two years as part time, and so I will be beginning second year this fall. I will apply for the next October (2010) admission deadline (2011 start), and I will be in third year then, which is when I will also be completing some prereq's for various schools (organ chem, stats.). Both second and third year will be full-time.

I will recieve a three year Bachelors degree, but, as I understand, I will likely have to do an Honours to be more competetive. It would be nice to be starting meds sooner rather than later (I feel like I am getting old really quickly:), but I want to study medecine so badly that I will do whatever it takes (MSc., PhD...whatever) lol.

Thanks for the help!!!

Archived