Premed 101 Forums

Personal Sketch - Language Proficiency

Can you include languages that you are fluent in? If so would it be categorized as Others or Accomplishment? Thank you in advance

Did you somehow actively acquire these languages? To me it would be ineffective to mention languages you learned in early childhood - such things do not reveal anything really useful about your personality/character which is really what you are trying to get across in your sketch. You also wouldn't be able to promote yourself to an adcom with them either.

On the other hand if you somehow later in life decided to learn spanish, took a pile of courses, went on an exchange, etc.... Then that actually means something :)

Did you somehow actively acquire these languages? To me it would be ineffective to mention languages you learned in early childhood - such things do not reveal anything really useful about your personality/character which is really what you are trying to get across in your sketch. You also wouldn't be able to promote yourself to an adcom with them either.

On the other hand if you somehow later in life decided to learn spanish, took a pile of courses, went on an exchange, etc.... Then that actually means something :)

right on the dot.

Can you include languages that you are fluent in? If so would it be categorized as Others or Accomplishment? Thank you in advance

I'm bilingual (two languages fluently), plus I've got the basics in a few others. I did not put this in my 48-item list. The question of languages was asked in the NOSM questionnaire, so I addressed the question there.

As others have noted, if fluency in other languages is something you feel is an important part of your life (aka something you'd like to speak about if you get an interview), then it might be good to add it.

Good luck on your application!

:)

Archived