Premed 101 Forums

Pathologist income

Please keep in mind that the Ontario Salary Disclosure list has plenty of pathologists making around 200K - some even making less than 150K. I am unsure if your salary in pathology depends on what hospital you work in, or if long experience is what helps you eventually work your way up to 300K.

Either way, pathology is not really considered a lucrative field (within medicine at least). You sign up because of how interesting and stimulating a career in pathology can be :-)

B

Please keep in mind that the Ontario Salary Disclosure list has plenty of pathologists making around 200K - some even making less than 150K. I am unsure if your salary in pathology depends on what hospital you work in, or if long experience is what helps you eventually work your way up to 300K.

Either way, pathology is not really considered a lucrative field (within medicine at least). You sign up because of how interesting and stimulating a career in pathology can be :-)

B

I was under the understanding that pathology can be quite lucrative.

No overhead..low insurance costs..good hours.

However this is heresy because numbers are hard to find since a lot are salaried.

Pathologists in Ontario have a standard salary. Everyone is making around $340k (whatever the number is). You may get more if you are a department head, etc. This was started ~3 years ago. Other provinces are different.

I was told exactly that by a staff at my interview last year at UofT, and a bit more in the sticks if I remember well?

noncestvrai

B

Pathologists making less than the standard ~$330,000 are working part time as pathologists. It's legislated (or otherwise regulated) in Ontario that they all make ~$330,000 if full time.

Hmmm, I am not sure. I thought there was a shortage of pathologists. The teaching hospital I worked at in Ontario was definitely always trying to recruit pathologists and I thought I had heard the same complaint from other centres - but could be wrong.

Ok, so they have standard salaries, but isn't it harder for pathologists to find jobs (compared to other specialties) in the first place?

I've heard that the job market is not good in the US, but it is pretty good in Canada.

Ok, so they have standard salaries, but isn't it harder for pathologists to find jobs (compared to other specialties) in the first place?

The salary and lifestyle sure makes pathology a pretty sweet specialty. Too bad I'm not interested in microscope work.

• 4 weeks later...

since pathology is a relatively small specialty in terms of total number of physicians, the job market will cycle more readily than others. by the time you graduate from your residency, it may have changed quite a bit anyway. and FYI, the public sector salary disclosure reports u find online do not disclose the full salaries of pathologists, only the part paid by the hospital itself. the rest of it is topped off by the government to 342k (in Ontario only). And this figure increases every year. it's true that previously pathologists were underpaid, but currently i wouldn't say they are, especially when u factor in the fact they get benefits and regular hours.

Archived