Premed 101 Forums

UofA students: which courses fulfill the prereq requirements

Hi guys,

I searched the forums and couldn't find a recent answer to my question. How can I find out which courses taken at UofA will be accepted by the UofA med school as meeting prereq requirements ? Also, if there are courses which were not taken at UofA, how can I find it if they could also help in meeting the prereq requirements?

Thanks,

Hi guys,

I searched the forums and couldn't find a recent answer to my question. How can I find out which courses taken at UofA will be accepted by the UofA med school as meeting prereq requirements ? Also, if there are courses which were not taken at UofA, how can I find it if they could also help in meeting the prereq requirements?

Thanks,

Phone the registrar office, and tell them exactly what your concern is.

I'm a 4th year student at the UofA and a med hopeful. In my first year I came across an awesome sheet of paper from the Faculty of Science listing all the Med prereqs, and as far as I know they are accurate and up-to-date (As of March of this year they hadn't changed.. to my knowledge anyways):

ENGL 111, 112, 113, or 114

BIOL 107 & 108 (or 107 and 207... or 108 and 208... basically any 2 bio courses)

CHEM 161/261 & 263 (Ochem)

CHEM 101 & 102 (General Chem)

BIOCH 200 (Biochem 200)

PHYS 124/126 or 144/146 (basically either calculus physics or non calculus physics. 2 courses worth)

STAT 141/151 (one course of stats)

Those are all the required prereqs. As for courses taken at other universities, I'm not sure. I know the chemistries and bios need to have lab components with them, but other than that, I'm not sure.

If you haven't taken the MCAT (and are a UofA student, which I assume you are from what you said), I STRONGLY recommend taking Physiology 210 (or 211). It'll help tons with it, since Bio 107/108 don't cover the body systems at all.

Hope this helps! (Any other questions-I'm happy to help)

Guest rpuff

Just a couple side notes...

I think honors physl is now PHYSL 212/214.

U of A changed their Ochem system since I was in first year. Chem 261 (Ochem I) is only offered in winter, and you must take Chem 101 first. So if you want to complete prereqs in the most logical manner you have to take it in first year, so you can do Chem 263 (Ochem II) in the fall of your second year and get Biochem done since 263 is it's pre/co-req. This way you can be done all your Ochem by the end of second year. A lot of students I know got screwed by this system and had to wait till second year to start the first section.

Also, Chem 161 exists now as Chem 164 for fall semester only, and you must have a 90% average in Chemistry 30 to qualify. But who wants to take a curved class with the highest achievers in high school anyway :)

PHYS 124/126 are the easier set, and Stats 141 has no lab.

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys,

thank you all for your replies :) i have another question to add: i'm interested in taking the necessary courses however i am unable to see how many spots are still available in the class (i am not YET registered at UofA) so is there any other way for me to find out where spaces are still available ? I have to finish my prereqs this year (which include the ochem2, the gchems and the 2nd english).

Also, cnb88, do the chem courses you mentioned have a lab component ?

hey guys,

thank you all for your replies :) i have another question to add: i'm interested in taking the necessary courses however i am unable to see how many spots are still available in the class (i am not YET registered at UofA) so is there any other way for me to find out where spaces are still available ? I have to finish my prereqs this year (which include the ochem2, the gchems and the 2nd english).

Also, cnb88, do the chem courses you mentioned have a lab component ?

What are the courses you're interested in? Post and I'll look them up for you in Beartracks (whatever it takes for me to have a reason not to unpack...lol).

Like Wut? said, all the chem courses have lab components with them. (Have fun in ochem 2... most of the experiments reek. I don't know if they still do the one experiment, but when I took it a couple years ago, one of the experiments gave off SO2 gas, which is poisonous. I was in a lab with a complete moron who didn't turn the vacuum pump on at their workstation, so we were almost gassed to death. ok, that might be a bit of an exaggeration, but it was bad.)

Chem 101 and 102's labs are fairly simple. In 102 you're normally done in like 1.5hours at most. So if you screw up you still have time to start over. (Not so in Ochem2... that's usually down to the wire... I lucked out and got a rockin' awesome TA, there were a couple times I stayed a half hour over time, and I was nowhere near the last one out)

As for spaces being available... I'm almost positive there still would be, especially in 101/102, the classes have normally at least 300 people. I'm not sure with Ochem because they changed the rules right after I took it. But it's still a popular course because it's a prereq for a lot of programs. The hardest part for you will be getting into lab space when you want. You might have to do 8am labs. If you can at all avoid it, don't take an ochem lab at 8am Monday morning (very stupid... take it from me) and don't do an ochem lab at 2pm on a Friday (again, very stupid- take it from me)

Have you already taken an English class btw? As long as you have 6 credits and the UofA recognizes it, you should be ok.

PS... if possible, take Ochem from Dr. Cairo. He's really good, exams are ridiculously hard (but all ochem profs' exams are) but it's curved. I also liked Dr. Bergens for 102, but I know most of my friends did not. Also, if you need to take a bio course- take from Dr. Moses. Best prof ever. Hard exams, but class is curved, and once you understand how he asks his questions you're good to go.

If you have any other questions about courses/profs/TAs or whatever, you can reply to me here or send me a PM

Archived