Premed 101 Forums

Part-time job ideas

ysk1

Lets be honest here. Lifeguarding is a pretty slack job, and I think most people realize that (including ADCOM members). I have my NLS and I guarded for a few years, so I have some valid input. I'm not trying to rag on the job or anything, and I think it'd be great for what you're looking for! It's not going to make you look like a god when it comes to med apps though. If you're looking for a job that will set you apart, I'd pursue city councilor or the mental health ones listed above.

Hmm I would agree that it doesn't make you the 'perfect candidate' or anything, but I think in terms of jobs to choose its a good one for an application...it paid off for me! For UBC especially they seem to like these kind of activities. And lets be honest, a huge part of a successful application is being able to spin your experiences to sound unique. Obviously the way I was talking about the job was more how you would describe it on your application. Also, to another previous poster, I can't speak for all lifeguards, but I know that from my experience the job is serious and believing the worst can happen (it has to a few of my friends) is what makes a safe, reliable guard. Also, finding a job as a lab assistant/research assistant is very useful when applying to UBC. Another idea...if you really love your job at tim hortons, how likely is it to work your way up to manager or to gain more responsibility. Being passionate about what is on your application is more important than being impressive in my opinion. Good luck!

Check your local hospital. I worked research jobs at a couple of hospitals just through keeping an eye out for positions, no networking or additional skills required and it paid decent enough. Check out your university job listings too, I worked at the library and though it paid exactly the same as yours 9.60 approx. it was really easy, I just shelved books and helped people out with faqs. Good Luck.

I worked for Superstore (or Loblaws for you Ontario folk, and Provigo for Quebec) since I was in grade 11, and I only quit a few weeks ago. I find that many students have part-time jobs in the retail or food industry, and it shouldnt be something to be embarassed about.

Also, if you stick with a job long enough, you get promotions and get oppourtunities to get into management roles, which is definitely helpful for your application. A significant portion of my essay was about working at the grocery store, and I think it helped a lot.

listen to this guy bout hospital jobs... theyre all awesome!

Check your local hospital. I worked research jobs at a couple of hospitals just through keeping an eye out for positions, no networking or additional skills required and it paid decent enough. Check out your university job listings too, I worked at the library and though it paid exactly the same as yours 9.60 approx. it was really easy, I just shelved books and helped people out with faqs. Good Luck.

It's also important to note that you should do what you like, whether or not it makes you $9 an hour or $18 an hour. It's important to show dedication and value. Yes med schools do like students who have some degree of health care related work experience such as lab work, a clinic desk job and research work, but they also understand that not everybody is going to get these jobs as space is limited. That's why if you volunteer for those kinds of positions it shows you still care and still have that drive to know what working in the health care field is all about, even if you aren't getting paid. Any job is an excellent job for a med school application as long as it allows you to learn from it, grow from it and as long as you are dedicated to it.

Alot of my part-time jobs (and summer jobs) have been self-created. I think it helped on my application, particularly because UBC looks favourably upon self-reliance. Some examples include I have had a cleaning business since I was pretty young (about 13). I guess its something some would look down on, "a low down job" , but dont let this discourage you. I was able to manage my own customers, get more by good word of mouth, and make decent money over many years (usually on top of working extra full-time jobs in the summers for examples). Its also hard work. But just by the sheer value of hard work and determination I was able to show on my application I am able to create, envision, expand and manage a business. It was also sort of fun! And I liked keeping my customers happy and getting to know them over the years....It also showed that I was able to set high standards for the quality of work I did while cleaning for my customers.

So just keep your options open. Really, I think my cleaning business was a huge plus on my application. Good luck!

Archived