Premed 101 Forums

Part-time job ideas

ysk1

I've been working at Tim Hortons for 2 years but I think it's more fitting for high school students. (When my university friends or profs ask if I work at a part-time job, I'm somewhat embarrassed or ashamed to tell them that I work at Tim Hortons, though I love the job.) So I should stop working there and take on another job more suitable for university students. Any ideas?

Apple Store...u get great discounts..probably hiring now

Bartender.in highend lounge....lots of $ on tips

Whole Foods...u get discount on groceries

Hospitals...WARD CLERK..pay super super well

Nursing Homes...cashier..pays super

Medical Walk in Clinics....receptionist.....seem to always be advertising

Club Monoco...fab clothes great discount

Tutor for highschool or elementary kids..or univ

Good Life Fitness or Health Club...reception..usually u get free membership too

just my thoughts..

If they have it in your city, club promoter...a friend does it, and she gets $5 for each person that goes to the club...if they mention her name...she just advertises on her facebook...not alot of work....just need alot of friends who go to clubs

totally unrelated to medicine though..hmm

Good Life Fitness or Health Club...reception..usually u get free membership too

just my thoughts..

Goodlife blows. I was a trainer there for a while last year, and I made peanuts. I was a varsity athlete for 2 years, and I have a kinesiology degree, so I knew my stuff. Also, I was always in the top 3 for sales out of the trainers at my club. Sessions are 42 bucks an hour, and you only make 13 an hour. Don't bother with goodlife.

Good to know about Good Life...I was thinking of getting a membership there...wow...what they pay trainers and what you pay for one..who knew..lesson learned from premed...

Independent trainers are ususally $50 up per hour...and at some gyms you can bring your own...

yski, if you enjoy the work and the pay is decent, why move elsewhere?
One thing I forgot to mention is that I'm not doing part-time job for money. I only treat it as just another extracurricular which helps me do other things beside school.

To answer your question, the pay isn't decent. I started at $8/hr and now it's $9.60/hr. (At Tim Hortons, it increases by about $0.35 every 6 months.)

lifeguard

personal trainer

first aid instructor

Don't they all require certain experiences? I'd like to try being a lifeguard but I have no related experiences or qualifications. I don't even have a proper swimming certificate, though I know how to swim (I learned it from my mom). Also, in my area (Vancouver), it looks hard to find an opening for lifeguard position anyway.. I've never come across a part-time ad seeking lifeguard.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I'm not doing part-time job for money. I only treat it as just another extracurricular which helps me do other things beside school.

Why not then devote this time to volunteering where you are able to be of service to others and show your compassionate side?

To answer your question, the pay isn't decent. I started at $8/hr and now it's $9.60/hr. (At Tim Hortons, it increases by about $0.35 every 6 months.)

Don't they all require certain experiences? I'd like to try being a lifeguard but I have no related experiences or qualifications. I don't even have a proper swimming certificate, though I know how to swim (I learned it from my mom). Also, in my area (Vancouver), it looks hard to find an opening for lifeguard position anyway.. I've never come across a part-time ad seeking lifeguard.

If you don't have a certificate or cannot "on demand" demonstrate that you are perfectly able to complete certain types of swim-styles, then you won't be permitted to be a lifeguard. They usually have grants to hire students, and these students typically have lifeguarding levels completed. But you are always welcome to apply: never any harm in applying.

What about a university job? TA? Lab work? Correcting papers? Correcting papers in a science department (or calculus department) pays A LOT of money (perhaps, it depends on your uni) and all you do is follow the profs solution sheet ;)

Working at a children's camp is always fun and respectable.

Why not then devote this time to volunteering where you are able to be of service to others and show your compassionate side?

Thanks, but I'm already doing that. I'm asking for suggestions on part-time jobs, not on extracurriculars as a whole.

i used to work in the provincial mental hospital... fat fat cash (on a double shift id make 500 bucks and id spend half of it watching tv and another 1/4 on constant with an autistic dude, while i read for school)
How did they pay you that much when your work was that easy? Where and how did you get such a job? Was it competitive to get it in the first place? I guess so, because the pay is great and the work is relatively easy compared to less-paying jobs which are harder.

@muse87 - kaplan offered me a job teaching their mcat course (i refused because it would be a 3 hour drive from where i'm living this summer to the nearest city center, and i found a decent job in town). you don't need a super high mcat - i only had 11/10/10 P. then again, i live in an area where i think i may have been one of only a couple applicants to the position. if you're in a bigger area (ontario, alberta, etc) you may need higher scores due to increased competition. the pay's pretty sweet though - just not enough to make me want to drive that far 2-3 times a week.

hope that's helpful :)

Work for the City, you make serious cash and can get a position in some good areas related to healthcare. You can also apply to work at a Blood Lab or Lab clinic innoculating plates.

Or join your city council and receive honorarium (unless, of course, your city has employed members). Of course...you'll need to have people put forth your name on Sept 1st (I think nomination day is the same everywhere?). But the campaigning is fun!

Of course, depends on the size of you city/town.

Work for the City, you make serious cash and can get a position in some good areas related to healthcare. You can also apply to work at a Blood Lab or Lab clinic innoculating plates.

Or join your city council and receive honorarium (unless, of course, your city has employed members). Of course...you'll need to have people put forth your name on Sept 1st (I think nomination day is the same everywhere?). But the campaigning is fun!

Of course, depends on the size of you city/town.

Where do you guys live? In my area (Vancouver), it's rare to find such positions open to people like me with no relevant qualifications.

Where do you guys live? In my area (Vancouver), it's rare to find such positions open to people like me with no relevant qualifications.

Some places are really happy to permit students on their councils. I live in a small rural town and sit on the local council.

Even running will be good for your application (if that's what you're looking for). A warning though...there is a lot of legal responsibility and issues that you will need to deal with. It can be a very maturing experience, and it will open many doors for you. I find it a lot of fun.

Some places are really happy to permit students on their councils. I live in a small rural town and sit on the local council.

Even running will be good for your application (if that's what you're looking for). A warning though...there is a lot of legal responsibility and issues that you will need to deal with. It can be a very maturing experience, and it will open many doors for you. I find it a lot of fun.

I'm in Ottawa, and you can apply for lots of jobs with the city with no experience required. These jobs obviously aren't the most interesting, but they pay minimum $15 an hour. You'd be doing general city maintenance and sign repair, but its cool because you get your own truck and coworkers to help.

And yeah if you can get on city council that'd be amazing, but yeah some cities won't let you, or if they do it will be a huge responsibility and eat away at your time during school

Not sure about elsewhere, but in B.C. you need all your swimming levels in order to do the following classes: bronze medallion, bronze cross, NLS, and most pools won't hire you unless you can also teach and have the course WSI and its prereq classes. Even then, sometimes you need to volunteer at a pool for awhile before they hire you, especially in today's job market. However, the above courses also count as EC, and I think played a large part in my getting into med school. Plus in terms of job, lifeguard has good qualities such as dedication, coping under stress, teaching skills, leadership, and responsibility-basically a good job for med application!

Plus in terms of job, lifeguard has good qualities such as dedication, coping under stress, teaching skills, leadership, and responsibility-basically a good job for med application!

Lets be honest here. Lifeguarding is a pretty slack job, and I think most people realize that (including ADCOM members). I have my NLS and I guarded for a few years, so I have some valid input. I'm not trying to rag on the job or anything, and I think it'd be great for what you're looking for! It's not going to make you look like a god when it comes to med apps though. If you're looking for a job that will set you apart, I'd pursue city councilor or the mental health ones listed above.

I'm in Ottawa, and you can apply for lots of jobs with the city with no experience required. These jobs obviously aren't the most interesting, but they pay minimum $15 an hour. You'd be doing general city maintenance and sign repair, but its cool because you get your own truck and coworkers to help.

And yeah if you can get on city council that'd be amazing, but yeah some cities won't let you, or if they do it will be a huge responsibility and eat away at your time during school

I wish I lived in Ottawa. Vancouver sucks in terms of those kinds of things.

Archived