Premed 101 Forums

autobio

Is there a limit for the description of each of the 48 things on the autobio? How long/descriptive are they generally? Can someone give me an example of what a good one might sound like?

thanks

ps. do most people hit 48? what would you say the average is (just based on hearsay)... what do you think is decent? 30+?

Is there a limit for the description of each of the 48 things on the autobio? How long/descriptive are they generally? Can someone give me an example of what a good one might sound like?

thanks

ps. do most people hit 48? what would you say the average is (just based on hearsay)... what do you think is decent? 30+?

I can no longer find contact numbers for many of mine. I have 21 listed. 48 is not necessary. There's a character limit, so you won't be able to divulge too much information.

"My responsibilities included X, Y, Z..."

Another thing with regards to the autobio... for the timeline, even if you do something, say once a month for the summer... do you still put May to August... which may appear like you put in just as much time as a full-time position, 9-5, mon-fri for the summer? likewise, what about something you do say every may... do you put may 2005 to may 2009? (because you dont want to list the same thing multiple times for different years obviously)

Yeah i had something like that, that was yearly but i thought important.

I just put the total hours.....and did like you said like may 06 - may 09

For some things, I have done a lot within one organization, and have very different responsibilities at different times, so I made multiple entries.

You mean you put the total hours in the description? For example:

"Coached baseball anually in May/June"

then put May 2005 to May 2009

?

thanks

Also, wow I just tried putting an autobio entry in... 48 characters!?!?!:eek: That's barely a position title:p ... So is it pretty much put down your position, and very briefly what you did?

e.g. "Served food to homeless at downtown soup kitchen (#)"

What about stuff that you do once a week in the stipulated timeline... do you make a note of it or does it not matter to?

sorry for all the questions, but at least i'm finally getting started on this

thanks guys

and I assume you cut out pro-nouns other costly characters?:P

e.g. competitive beach volleyball on wed. nights

vs. I was member of Oasis Club Beach Volleyball competitive league and played every Wednesday night

or is it unprofessional not to use more appropriate grammar?

vs. I was member of Oasis Club Beach Volleyball competitive league and played every Wednesday night

I definately used abbreviations. I had 40 things in my sketch, but I had multiple listings if I had done the same 2 week activity in multiple years.

It was good enough to get me a couple of interviews.

Yes indeed!

Point form is good. Check make sure it sounds perfect and there's no spelling mistakes.

Good luck :D

Thanks guys:)

I'm still a little confused though (well, not confused, but...:confused: ) SO, if I'm doing research for the summer, Mon-Fri, 9-5, all I can say is for example:

"Facial Recognition research at Baycrest Hospital"

June 09 - Sept 09

Then say I am also doing research with a doctor once a week, I would say:

"X research at Sunnybrook Hospital with Dr. Y"

June 09 - Sept 09

... is there really NO way in distringuishing between the two, even though one has 10 times more time put into it?... is it just that the autobio isn't heavily scrutinized and used really just for a general picture?

Thanks guys:)

I'm still a little confused though (well, not confused, but...:confused: ) SO, if I'm doing research for the summer, Mon-Fri, 9-5, all I can say is for example:

"Facial Recognition research at Baycrest Hospital"

June 09 - Sept 09

Then say I am also doing research with a doctor once a week, I would say:

"X research at Sunnybrook Hospital with Dr. Y"

June 09 - Sept 09

... is there really NO way in distringuishing between the two, even though one has 10 times more time put into it?... is it just that the autobio isn't heavily scrutinized and used really just for a general picture?

I think there's a place where you say how many hours a week you spend.

The autobio is used differently at different schools. Some use it just to get a general idea of the applicant, but others look at every detail. Ottawa for example weigh the sketch heavily and even have a copy at your interview.

I think that its more important to emphasize that you are doing more activities, than enphasizing how much time you spend at 1 activity. They want to see that you are well rounded and areny just focused onto one thing.

Archived