Premed 101 Forums

1st Major Milestone Achieved (intro post)

Hi,

I have soaked in so much useful information from everyone's posts during the past year that it is about time that I return some of the favour. But first, a short intro:

I'm definitely a non-trad. I'm a 34 yo dad with past careers in the military and engineering. Back in 2007, my wife and I decided to give my "doctor dreams" as she called it, a try. I quickly found out that my partying days during the mid 1990s produced a university cGPA that just wasn't going to cut it. (it was a painful-to-calculate 1.8ish)

Meetings with a couple academics advisors had me further discouraged. The path to becoming a doctor was going to take me well into my forties. Oh well , no Freedom-55 for me...

With great family support I chose to begin a second undergrad degree at UW. The plan was that If my grades were up to par after the first year then my wife would continue supporting me. I gave it all I had, obtained a nice integer GPA and today I showed my wife the tuition fees for my second year :)

These days I'm focused on preparing for the MCAT in September and trying to stay sane while my kids are at home full time.

I wish everyone here the best of luck and I look forward to posting in the med school acceptance threads in a couple years...

-Marty

Hi,

I have soaked in so much useful information from everyone's posts during the past year that it is about time that I return some of the favour. But first, a short intro:

I'm definitely a non-trad. I'm a 34 yo dad with past careers in the military and engineering. Back in 2007, my wife and I decided to give my "doctor dreams" as she called it, a try. I quickly found out that my partying days during the mid 1990s produced a university cGPA that just wasn't going to cut it. (it was a painful-to-calculate 1.8ish)

Meetings with a couple academics advisors had me further discouraged. The path to becoming a doctor was going to take me well into my forties. Oh well , no Freedom-55 for me...

With great family support I chose to begin a second undergrad degree at UW. The plan was that If my grades were up to par after the first year then my wife would continue supporting me. I gave it all I had, obtained a nice integer GPA and today I showed my wife the tuition fees for my second year :)

These days I'm focused on preparing for the MCAT in September and trying to stay sane while my kids are at home full time.

I wish everyone here the best of luck and I look forward to posting in the med school acceptance threads in a couple years...

-Marty

Great work! Hope everything works out for the best.

I am not sure about this (although I am sure someone around here is) but I think you could fulfill the requirements for Western by next year. If your GPA was 3.75 or higher this year and you do well enough on the MCAT, I think all you'd need is another 3.75 or better GPA in the upcoming year because you already have a degree.

You might want to look into that if you haven't already.

I am not sure about this (although I am sure someone around here is) but I think you could fulfill the requirements for Western by next year. If your GPA was 3.75 or higher this year and you do well enough on the MCAT, I think all you'd need is another 3.75 or better GPA in the upcoming year because you already have a degree.

You might want to look into that if you haven't already.

Yes I plan on applying to UWO, NOSM, & Queens in 2010 for entry in 2011. I'll also apply to Ottawa the year after that since I'll have 3 fresh years to use for their GPA calculation. Toronto & Mcmaster aren't on my list since they would include my first degree in the cGPA calculation. I haven't looked into out of province schools much but I do seem to remember UBC has a 10 year rule that I could apply nicely in my case. It's a long journey that's for sure.

Hi,

-Marty

Thanks for sharing your story, Marty.

Always happy to hear about another non-trad, pre-med ;)

Good to hear your family is on-board with your ambitions. Without that, the journey to med school is even more difficult!

Good luck! Keep us posted on your progress!

Very nice, I expect continued updates along way until you get in to med school :)

As you know there are a lot of us waterloo students on the boards (surprisingly large number actually). You need anything or just what to review something, let us know.

Continued success to you!

Hi Marty,

I know exactly where you're coming from; I'm a 32 year old dad with experience in the military and engineering and I also went back to school for bring up my GPA.

I've been keeping unofficial stats on non-trads who post here and roughly 60% of people who have written a "hello world" post (as opposed to a "what are my chances" post) have been accepted within a few years. (OK, I admit that this number is based on a small sample size and wouldn't survive peer review, but hey, it cheered me up)

It's quite the challenge balancing studies and family life, but it seems like you have a very good support net. Best of luck to you!

Hi Marty! Best of luck - I think it's wonderful that you've decided to go for it, and congrats on having a supportive wife and family... I honestly believe that having a solid support is what gives non-trads with not so hot GPA's a shot at this whole 'being a doctor' thing.

I have to say, on a "bringing it back to me" note, that reading your post cheered me up. i was going through a woe-is-my-ugpa phase this week, and reading your intro reminded me that i've decided this is what i'm going to do, so it's time to just do it and focus on the positives! congrats on a well-deserved and hard-fought good first year - hope i can say the same next year! keep us all posted :)

Guest BluePin

Well done.

You may consider adding Dal and UofC to your list. Dal looks at your two most recent years and UofC screens on your two best years. UofC does take your overall GPA into account, so you (and I!) might get eliminated there, but you will make the cut-offs... and therefore have at least a chance of admission.

It is also a 3 year program, which may or may not appeal.

Best-

BP

I was just about to say that Dalhousie is something you could consider too. I think all the "special consideration" schools for those of us with bad pasts are:

UWO (best 2 years)

Queen's (last 2 years)

Ottawa (last 3 years weighted)

Dalhousie (last 2 years)

NOSM (most recent degree... i think)

Good Luck Marty! I too am pursuing my "Doctor Dreams". My husband and 2 boys have been incredibly supportive and without there support, I couldn't do this. I will be writing my MCAT next spring, and applying in 2010 for admission for 2011.

I'd love for you to keep posting and letting us know how things go, and where you decide to apply!

Best of luck to you.

Claudia

Good Luck Marty! I too am pursuing my "Doctor Dreams". My husband and 2 boys have been incredibly supportive and without there support, I couldn't do this. I will be writing my MCAT next spring, and applying in 2010 for admission for 2011.

I'd love for you to keep posting and letting us know how things go, and where you decide to apply!

Best of luck to you.

Claudia

Best wishes, Claudia!

Do keep us posted on your progress as well.

Haly

Hi Marty, I am 41 and after my fourth try to UBC am on the waitlist for the summer. I went back to school at 35 after a disastrous experience in my early 20's (academic probation-dropped out). UBC and the 10 yr exclusion rule was pivotal in my being on the waitlist. I am not able to apply out of province due to overall GPA. I can relate to the tough road ahead, I don't have children but I worked f/t shift work while attending f/t classes. Missed alot of classes but managed an ok gpa, and managed to stay married. Keep the focus, it will happen. You are only as old as you feel!

Hi Marty, I am 41 and after my fourth try to UBC am on the waitlist for the summer. I went back to school at 35 after a disastrous experience in my early 20's (academic probation-dropped out). UBC and the 10 yr exclusion rule was pivotal in my being on the waitlist. I am not able to apply out of province due to overall GPA. I can relate to the tough road ahead, I don't have children but I worked f/t shift work while attending f/t classes. Missed alot of classes but managed an ok gpa, and managed to stay married. Keep the focus, it will happen. You are only as old as you feel!

Wow, thanks for sharing your story.

Any chance you'll get off the wait-list? If not, I hope you apply again :)

May all your dreams come true!

Haly

• 2 months later...
Hi Marty,

I've been keeping unofficial stats on non-trads who post here and roughly 60% of people who have written a "hello world" post (as opposed to a "what are my chances" post) have been accepted within a few years. (OK, I admit that this number is based on a small sample size and wouldn't survive peer review, but hey, it cheered me up)

I don't care how unscientific your numbers are - but I like it! :)

While there's little doubt that one's brain isn't as sharp when you get older, a positive mental attitude more than compensates.

I'm 38 years old and doing much better academically now than compared to 15 years ago. Hopefully I will add to your 60% group.

Archived