Premed 101 Forums

pathology vs radiology

• 3 weeks later...

radiology offers better pay and greater security/autonomy, because pathologists are totally at the mercy of the hospital. Radiologists can always work for a private imaging center if the hospital starts abusing them. in addition to that radiology is more challenging and stimulating field.

You think rad is more challenging? What's nice with path is that it is the gold standard of diagnostics. You dont say it's cancer til the path has said so, no matter how many spikes or onion skinlike structures are on the xray. Also, path is very biologically oriented. It requires a lot of knowledge in histology, anatomy (rad does as well), embryo and pathophysiology/pathobiology. Also you get to apply lots of techniques (IF, EM, special stains etc), some pple do research, autopsies etc. Personally i think i would go for path because I'm more biologically oriented.

Peace

There's no overhead in pathology. (To the best of my knowledge, there is NO billing schedule for pathology)*. The staff are hired by the hospital (this is a plus and a minus). Similarly, if something breaks, it's up to the hospital to fix it (again, a plus and a minus because if you were paying out of pocket you'd get it done right away, and sometimes waiting for the hospital to do stuff can be interminable).

If your salary is $330K, that's what you take home (less taxes).

The research guys don't get paid a lower salary (in general) for being part-time research/part-time service work, but they do have to bring in their own research funds (e.g. the hospital doesn't fund them to carry out their research, they have to get CIHR and Heart & Stroke and whatever it is that those research guys get).

* To the best of my knowledge, there are currently no private path labs, but these have existed in the past (CLS for example). I'm a tech, and our lab often does testing for other labs, and we just charge them whatever is appropriate (you can charge pretty much whatever you want, within reason). But I honestly am unaware of the existance of any established fee schedule that you could use, as a pathologist, to bill (shadow-bill).

I think it is not fair :( to compare different specialties. All specialties have good and bad sides.. it is all depends how it would match your life style and your personality. I strongly believe people should stop this as for respect for people are studying in both fields ..

Sarkj 2010

I think it is not fair :( to compare different specialties. All specialties have good and bad sides.. it is all depends how it would match your life style and your personality. I strongly believe people should stop this as for respect for people are studying in both fields ..

Sarkj 2010

What your saying doesnt make sense to me. There is no specialty bashing here (pm101 is way softer than sdn). It's all about talking about the pros and cons of each specialty.

Peace.

Archived