Premed 101 Forums

Tips for first year undergrads

There are other recent thread dealing with this precise topic that cover such items as how to study. The transition to UG is perhaps more difficult than you imagine. Your first priority is to make a smooth transition or adjustment and to focus on your studies, not E.C.s especially during the fisrt semester. Obtaining and maintaining the highest GPA of which you are capable is essential. Having said that, there has been discussion about chasing 'bird course', i.e., "easy" courses. The purpose of UG is to widen your horizons, obtain an education, explore the universe and have fun while doing this. Generally speaking, you will be more motivated and do better taking course that are of interest to you. Also, you need to have a Plan B, should you change your mind about medicine or not make it in the end. So, get an education that you enjoy while planning for your future.

It is essential in the application to med school, to show your non-academic side, that you are compassionate, have leadership qualities, initiaive, are reliable, prepared for self-sacrifice, a team worker and ideally, you have done selfless volunteering, be it at a food bank, woman's shelter, hospital, helping the disabled, etc. So, build up over time volunteer work meaningful to you.

Good luck and enjoy the journey. There is much to read and absorb in this forum.

See thread “For those with an 85%+ average in university, what were your study habits like?” started June 8th by savica.

The quality of potential mates is much greater than HS. Look sharp. ;)

Other than that relax a bit, find your groove, and don't be so neurotic or you'll burn out by the end of second year. Oh, and don't kill your electives early. Sooner or later you're going to burn out anyways, and thats when its nice to have electives to take.

What are the tips you would give to a first year premed student? How do you think?

Thanks for any comments in advance.

Don't get caught up in the silly bar scene, unless you can still party all the time and get a 4.0 GPA. I see loads of first years at school go full out with their social life and neglect their studies, b/c it's their first time away from home.

Don't be that kid.

1) Pot is overrated

2) Don't ever study Friday nights

3) lots of wine + lots of cheesecake = recipe for a disaster

4) always use a condom, even if s/he claims you are his/her first

5) try and have a weekly interaction with a human who is not between the ages of 17 and 23

There are other recent thread dealing with this precise topic that cover such items as how to study. The transition to UG is perhaps more difficult than you imagine. Your first priority is to make a smooth transition or adjustment and to focus on your studies, not E.C.s especially during the fisrt semester. Obtaining and maintaining the highest GPA of which you are capable is essential. Having said that, there has been discussion about chasing 'bird course', i.e., "easy" courses. The purpose of UG is to widen your horizons, obtain an education, explore the universe and have fun while doing this. Generally speaking, you will be more motivated and do better taking course that are of interest to you. Also, you need to have a Plan B, should you change your mind about medicine or not make it in the end. So, get an education that you enjoy while planning for your future.

It is essential in the application to med school, to show your non-academic side, that you are compassionate, have leadership qualities, initiaive, are reliable, prepared for self-sacrifice, a team worker and ideally, you have done selfless volunteering, be it at a food bank, woman's shelter, hospital, helping the disabled, etc. So, build up over time volunteer work meaningful to you.

Good luck and enjoy the journey. There is much to read and absorb in this forum.

See thread “For those with an 85%+ average in university, what were your study habits like?” started June 8th by savica.

The thread started by Savica isn't working. Showing a 404 Internal Error or something.

Get wasted, lose your virginity, try new drugs, get into a real fight, have a baby, go on probation, OD one day, die.. but along with this join alot of schools clubs and become extremely involved and know everyone on campus. You're gonna have the best time of your life in undergrad and you'll have the best resume outta all the nerd applicants.

Yup. The thread shows 404 error.

I found and got into it by looking for my past posts, I clicked into my post and voila, I was there. So, if you cannot bring it up by clicking on the OP's name for all his threads, you can get in there by finding my post way back in that time zone and you then should have no problem. Hit my name, find my old posts, go directly to page 20, you will find the thread by clicking on my old post. Let me know how it goes.

I will let the women on this forum destroy you, dissect your intestines, put your severed head on a stake so it can decompose in hot weather with flies laying maggots in your dead eyes, as your battered skull gradually appears as your flesh rots away, and your skull fractures become visible. Good luck.

LMAO .

You've been posting here for months, you don't need this thread.

Get your 3.8+, get involved in some meaningful activities you enjoy, and have as much fun as possible, whatever that means to you. Get drunk, do drugs, have sex with 6 hookers at once, etc. Just don't sit in your room all day and study

Archived