Premed 101 Forums

*** Official 2009-10 Interview Invite Thread for US Schools ***

c17h

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you ever get asked at an interview, perhaps informally, if you are interviewing at other places?

Me! At my interview yesterday...

It was slightly awkward, because I wanted to be honest, but I also didn't know how to answer the question.... I don't think interviewers are allowed to ask that question, but I ended up telling him the truth (that I had other interviews), but I reiterated how much I wanted to go to their school and how their school was my top pick :D

Me! At my interview yesterday...

It was slightly awkward, because I wanted to be honest, but I also didn't know how to answer the question.... I don't think interviewers are allowed to ask that question, but I ended up telling him the truth (that I had other interviews), but I reiterated how much I wanted to go to their school and how their school was my top pick :D

Me too. I kind of blanked and was desperately trying to figure out what to say. hah

ETA: are you guys sending thank you cards/emails to your interviewers only? Or should I also be sending notes to the interview coordinators (or anyone in charge of interviewees on that day)?

Me too. I kind of blanked and was desperately trying to figure out what to say. hah

ETA: are you guys sending thank you cards/emails to your interviewers only? Or should I also be sending notes to the interview coordinators (or anyone in charge of interviewees on that day)?

I only sent thank you emails to my interviewers.

This issue has been addressed on SDN... if you send thank you emails to your interview coordinators, then are you also going to send thank you emails to the admissions coordinators, dean of admissions, financial aid guy, etc? It's sort of hard to draw the line, and it's probably a little bit excessive if you send too many emails... interview coordinators probably receive tons of emails each day, and would prefer not to receive thank yous from all the interviewees.

But, if you'll feel better doing so, then I don't think it would hurt your application either way.

But, if you'll feel better doing so, then I don't think it would hurt your application either way.

Well it actually wouldn't make me feel better, it would be a drag! :P

I was hoping not to have to bother with it so thanks for the feedback! Less items on my to-do list is a good thing. :D

Is a hold at Case a rejection or a probable interview? Or should I be writing some sort of update/letter to let them know I'm REALLY interested?

Mystery, I've been on hold at Case since early August. I sent them a letter of interest a month ago, but I haven't heard anything.

Case has been sending out rejections (according to SDN)...so if their hold was equivalent to a rejection, then they would have just sent you the rejection letter. However, I guess our applications weren't strong enough for an immediate interview invite either... I personally think they just want to compare us to the later applicant pool. The only thing we can do is wait :(

I am going to send a Thank-you letter to both my panel interviewers from EVMS. It was an awesome and engaging interview! Topped off an awesome trip. :)

Glad to hear your EVMS trip went well!! If you don't mind me asking, how many people were at your panel interview?

Glad to hear your EVMS trip went well!! If you don't mind me asking, how many people were at your panel interview?

I don't mind at all! They said beforehand that it was probably going to be 3 people, but there were only 2 at my interview. One student and one committee member. Both were really nice and the interview was very relaxed. :)

I am going to send a Thank-you letter to both my panel interviewers from EVMS. It was an awesome and engaging interview! Topped off an awesome trip. :)

I heard that it's common practice to send thank you letters to American med school interviewers. How would one go about obtaining their info (i.e. email) to send one? And just mention your interest in their school and your enjoyment of the interview, so they will remember you better?

I heard that it's common practice to send thank you letters to American med school interviewers. How would one go about obtaining their info (i.e. email) to send one? And just mention your interest in their school and your enjoyment of the interview, so they will remember you better?

The easiest way is probably to ask the staff in charge of your interview day to look up your interviewer's info. Otherwise you can probably find everything you need by searching for their names in the school's directory or googling them (that's what I did).

Sometimes your interviewer will give you their contact info. If not, I just asked my interviewer for their e-mail in case I had future questions regarding the school.

Actually this is my dilemma right now. I sent an thank-you letter to the student in my interview, but not the committee member yet. The reason being, she gave me her e-mail address, but I cannot remember her name for the life of me :P Should have wrote it down. So I'm not sure what path to take here. Do I send the letter without a proper salutation? Do I call the school on Monday and ask for her last name? Or do I not send the letter at all? I'm kind of leaning toward sending the letter starting with "I wanted to thank you...." with no "Dear so and so". I'd love to get some opinions on the matter.

Actually this is my dilemma right now. I sent an thank-you letter to the student in my interview, but not the committee member yet. The reason being, she gave me her e-mail address, but I cannot remember her name for the life of me :P Should have wrote it down. So I'm not sure what path to take here. Do I send the letter without a proper salutation? Do I call the school on Monday and ask for her last name? Or do I not send the letter at all? I'm kind of leaning toward sending the letter starting with "I wanted to thank you...." with no "Dear so and so". I'd love to get some opinions on the matter.

Have you tried doing a reverse search from her email addy? Or go to the school's website and search her first name with her specialty/course she teaches? I would try my best to get the info....

Yeah you definitely want to address it to her, I think the committee member won't be too pleased if you forgot her name. +1 to what Rach said.

Of course I've tried :P It's not listed. I might just forget about this letter, because I really think the interview went well.

Mystery, I've been on hold at Case since early August. I sent them a letter of interest a month ago, but I haven't heard anything.

Case has been sending out rejections (according to SDN)...so if their hold was equivalent to a rejection, then they would have just sent you the rejection letter. However, I guess our applications weren't strong enough for an immediate interview invite either... I personally think they just want to compare us to the later applicant pool. The only thing we can do is wait :(

Ah, thanks for the info! I did enjoy how they said that they would let me know no later than March 2010. haha. I guess you can't win them off. Good luck to both of us then! :)

Archived