Premed 101 Forums

*** Official 2009-10 Interview Invite Thread for US Schools ***

c17h

This is only partially related to interview invites but...

I made a horrible mistake about a week and a 1/2 ago. I forgot about the deadline to create an OMSAS account. It was a ridiculously dumb mistake to make, and I beat myself up over it for about a week. I was so stuck on a few secondaries I had been working on and I remembered that OMSAS was due Oct 1st, completely forgetting about the account creation deadline. What makes this worse is that I have interviewed at Queen's and Western before, and I was sure I'd make the cut-offs again and was hoping for a UT interview. Since I did my BC essay and basically the entire application in two days I figured I had plenty of time to do the Ontario essays, especially since I had my UT essay ready. So now it's either BC, or the US... So here's hoping I get some good news about interviews soon, and goodluck to you all!

Alright so it didn't really have much to do with actual interview invites, I just wanted to share my story.

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is only partially related to interview invites but...

I made a horrible mistake about a week and a 1/2 ago. I forgot about the deadline to create an OMSAS account. It was a ridiculously dumb mistake to make, and I beat myself up over it for about a week. I was so stuck on a few secondaries I had been working on and I remembered that OMSAS was due Oct 1st, completely forgetting about the account creation deadline. What makes this worse is that I have interviewed at Queen's and Western before, and I was sure I'd make the cut-offs again and was hoping for a UT interview. Since I did my BC essay and basically the entire application in two days I figured I had plenty of time to do the Ontario essays, especially since I had my UT essay ready. So now it's either BC, or the US... So here's hoping I get some good news about interviews soon, and goodluck to you all!

Alright so it didn't really have much to do with actual interview invites, I just wanted to share my story.

James, sorry to hear about this!

If you have MCAT and GPA cut-offs for Queen's and Western interview, then I'm sure there will be a school in the US that will consider you (not considering your ECs, personal statement, LORs and such). Don't worry too much. What's done is done and you just have to keep going!!

But I would call OMSAS just to triple check and see if there might be some backdoor way to create an account...it's not likely, but it doesn't hurt right?

Oh man, that's brutal. It's definitely easy to get overloaded with all of these US essays so I understand how you could have missed the deadline. :( Good luck with your US applications. :)

Yes totally. I actually did not start working on OMSAS until very very recently. One day I goto OMSAS and it says the deadline to create account has passed. If you don't have account, you can't apply. I skipped a heart beat, and then remembered I had created an account like a month ago.

Oh well, things happen. Maybe you are destined to be south of the border.

I called OUAC, OMSAS, Queen's and Western, on Sept 17th, and they said very simply and strictly that they could do nothing about it. No one even sounded like there was a remote possibility of being able to do anything about it, so I gave up. They were clear about the only option and that was to wait until next year to apply.

Thanks for the encouragement though! I actually added about 10 more schools onto my applications list for the US on Sept 18th because I wanted to make up for losing 2 interviews I could have counted on. Keeping my fingers crossed tho, in spite of the recent rejections by Vandy and Pritzker.

I called OUAC, OMSAS, Queen's and Western, on Sept 17th, and they said very simply and strictly that they could do nothing about it. No one even sounded like there was a remote possibility of being able to do anything about it, so I gave up. They were clear about the only option and that was to wait until next year to apply.

Thanks for the encouragement though! I actually added about 10 more schools onto my applications list for the US on Sept 18th because I wanted to make up for losing 2 interviews I could have counted on. Keeping my fingers crossed tho, in spite of the recent rejections by Vandy and Pritzker.

Wow sorry to hear about this. After going through both US and Canadian applications, I can't believe how silly some aspects of the Canadian application system are. Who knows, Maybe the whole OMSAS thing will end up being a blessing in a disguise and you will be saved from having to make a tough US vs Canada decision in May?

It sounds like you applied to plenty of US schools, so you should definitely see some interviews if you made the western/queens cutoffs last year. Don't worry about Pritzker - as far as I know, they don't interview ANY Canadians. Good luck!

Just wondering what your opinions were on this issue. I've interviewed at GWU and Georgetown so far, which by the way as people have said before were VERY laid back and conversational. (For Georgetown, know your AMCAS application very well) However, I have done some pretty interesting extra-curriculars since my primary AMCAS was sent in, so should I update these schools with what I've done before they make a final decision on my application post-interview, or should I wait until they've made their decision? (ie. waitlist, then sending in a letter of interest) I'm just not sure if any update letters are taken into consideration for the post-interview decision.

I appreciate your answer but obviously i know it won't hurt my application.

What i'm wondering is if anyone's had any experience with adcomms, etc., and if they do take update letters into consideration post-interview, or only post-decision (ie. when most people send in their letters of interest or intent)

I guess it's a hard question to answer :P

Hey Trickybox, I have the same dilemma. Did you or are you going to send a letter?

I have interviewed at Georgetown and I'm not sure if I should e-mail them with an update on my status. Can someone tell me if they think this is significant? I got a job as a kinesiologist doing ergonomic assessments for a variety of Canadian workers. I make sure that their workplace is a safe environment by assessing body movements throughout the job. There's also reports for the workplace safety and insurance board.

Do you think it's important to wait until after you've been put on the waitlist, or should I just send it right now?

Archived