Premed 101 Forums

*** Official 2009-10 Interview Invite Thread for US Schools ***

c17h

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i'm interviewing oct 13. are you going to be doing the student host program? they're taking forever to get back to me lol

Oh damn I'll be missing you by a day. I haven't gotten around to contacting the student host people, will do it today. ETA: just noticed they want $25/night to be sent 2 weeks in advance.... I don't think my letter will get there in time and I'm wondering if it's really worth it to stay on someone's futon if I can probably get a nice room for $40 on priceline... hmm.

Congrats on Rosalind guys.... I haven't written the essay for them yet, and by the looks of things I'll never get around to it! :(

Baylor: Rach (c: 8/04, ii: 9/10)

Boston U: c17h (c: 7/16, ii: 9/3, i: 10/26); rmitch8 (c: 7/27, ii: 9/15)

Case Western: MSB (c: 7/21, ii: 7/27); rmitch8 (c: 7/23, ii: 8/10, i:10/5); deeman101 (c: 7/30, ii: 8/20)

CMS (Rosalind Franklin): Illuminis (c: 8/10, ii: 9/22, i: 11/3), trickybox (c: 8/28, ii: 9/23)

EVMS: wrighm6 (c: 7/20, ii: 8/31, i: 10/2)

FIU: musicaldna (c:8/18, ii:9/17, i: 10/26); trickybox (c:9/15, ii:9/17, i:10/26)

Georgetown: c17h (c: 7/21, ii: 8/3); wrighm6 (c: 7/15, ii: 8/3, i: 9/1); trickybox (c: 7/30, ii: 8/28, i: 9/28)

GWU: trickybox (c: 7/26; ii:7/29)

Indiana University: Rach (c:8/3; ii: 8:26)

Jefferson: c17h (c: 7/4, ii: 7/31, i: 9/30); Rach (c:8/4, ii: 8/13); rmitch8 (c: 7/20, ii: 8/13, i: 10/21)

Mount Sinai: rmitch8 (c: 8/10, ii: 9/9, i:10/12)

NYMC: wrighm6 (c: 7/29, ii: 9/8, i: 10/8), c17h (c: 7/29, ii: 9/8, i: 10/22), rmitch8 (c: 8/13, ii: 9/17)

Ohio State : ChicoMaki (c: 8/25, ii: 9/4, i: 11/9 [will probably request earlier])

St. Louis: trickybox (c: 8/3, ii: 9/9), Rach (c:mid aug, ii: 9/22)

SUNY Upstate : rmitch8 (c: 7/31, ii: 9/4), Rach (c: 8/11, ii: 9/15), JC5 (c: 8/13, ii: 9/15)

Vanderbilt: rmitch8 (c: 7/14, ii: 8/6, i: 9/11); deeman101 (c: 7/3, ii: 8/18); emcd (c: 7/30, ii: 9/2, i: 11/12); JC5 (c:7/30, ii:9/2); maelstrom (c:8/4, ii: 9/2), mystery_chick (c: 8/25, II 9/14)

Virginia Commonwealth: rmitch8 (c: 8/19, ii: 8/27, i: 11/2)

Wayne State: c17h (c: 8/3, ii: ??, i: 9/21); VTeight7 (c: 8/4, ii: 9/17, i: 10/9); wrighm6 (c: 7/22, ii: 9/17, i: 10/20)

I am OVER the moon! The mail went home to my parents so I didn't know when I got the rejection from Boston but when I called them... SIGH :) First interview of the year! yay!

Congrats everyone!

Trickybox, I chose November 3rd. My research project will be intense during October. I'm sure you can get an earlier date. I figure I won't be ready for the interview that soon hehe, this is my first interview ever.

Also, I got the confirmation email from CMS on August 25th.

Congrats everyone!

Trickybox, I chose November 3rd. My research project will be intense during October. I'm sure you can get an earlier date. I figure I won't be ready for the interview that soon hehe, this is my first interview ever.

Also, I got the confirmation email from CMS on August 25th.

Oh ok thanks. I shall give them a call tomorrow.

Baylor: Rach (c: 8/04, ii: 9/10)

Boston U: c17h (c: 7/16, ii: 9/3, i: 10/26); rmitch8 (c: 7/27, ii: 9/15)

Case Western: MSB (c: 7/21, ii: 7/27); rmitch8 (c: 7/23, ii: 8/10, i:10/5); deeman101 (c: 7/30, ii: 8/20)

CMS (Rosalind Franklin): Illuminis (c: 8/10, ii: 9/22, i: 11/3), trickybox (c: 8/28, ii: 9/23)

EVMS: wrighm6 (c: 7/20, ii: 8/31, i: 10/2)

FIU: musicaldna (c:8/18, ii:9/17, i: 10/26); trickybox (c:9/15, ii:9/17, i:10/26)

Georgetown: c17h (c: 7/21, ii: 8/3); wrighm6 (c: 7/15, ii: 8/3, i: 9/1); trickybox (c: 7/30, ii: 8/28, i: 9/28)

GWU: trickybox (c: 7/26; ii:7/29)

Indiana University: Rach (c:8/3; ii: 8:26)

Jefferson: c17h (c: 7/4, ii: 7/31, i: 9/30); Rach (c:8/4, ii: 8/13); rmitch8 (c: 7/20, ii: 8/13, i: 10/21)

Mount Sinai: rmitch8 (c: 8/10, ii: 9/9, i:10/12)

NYMC: wrighm6 (c: 7/29, ii: 9/8, i: 10/8), c17h (c: 7/29, ii: 9/8, i: 10/22), rmitch8 (c: 8/13, ii: 9/17)

Ohio State : ChicoMaki (c: 8/25, ii: 9/4, i: 11/9 [will probably request earlier])

St. Louis: trickybox (c: 8/3, ii: 9/9), Rach (c:mid aug, ii: 9/22)

SUNY Upstate : rmitch8 (c: 7/31, ii: 9/4), Rach (c: 8/11, ii: 9/15), JC5 (c: 8/13, ii: 9/15)

U Kentucky: Rach (c: 9/6, ii: 9/24)

Vanderbilt: rmitch8 (c: 7/14, ii: 8/6, i: 9/11); deeman101 (c: 7/3, ii: 8/18); emcd (c: 7/30, ii: 9/2, i: 11/12); JC5 (c:7/30, ii:9/2); maelstrom (c:8/4, ii: 9/2), mystery_chick (c: 8/25, II 9/14)

Virginia Commonwealth: rmitch8 (c: 8/19, ii: 8/27, i: 11/2)

Wayne State: c17h (c: 8/3, ii: ??, i: 9/21); VTeight7 (c: 8/4, ii: 9/17, i: 10/9); wrighm6 (c: 7/22, ii: 9/17, i: 10/20)

3 of my interviews are about a 2 hour drive from where I went to college.... Probably a huge reason for the invites.

6 interviews??? Insane, Rach. Good luck and congrats.

Thanks VTeight, I'm really happy with how things are going so far. Though I guess the interviews will be the true test!

btw, definitely send out "in the area" emails if you guys are flying somewhere. I'm sure that schools won't give you an interview just b/c you'll be around, but I was competitive for both St. Louis and UK so I emailed them saying I'd be around (though I didn't mention it was for my IU interview). The following day I had my invites. At the very least it made them hurry up a little with my file review. Not sure if this would work for random schools since both of those are so close to my undergrad school, but it's probably worth a try.

So in that case can't people just lie and say hey i'm going to city X when they are not really going? it's not like they will ask us for a photocopy of the airline ticket.. technically it won't be a lie if they actually DO interview us later :P

lol yeah I guess people can lie but unless you tell them you're there to interview they might wonder what business you have in the area. Like I said, if this works it's probably because you were getting an interview in the first place, but the email might get them to notify you of it instead of waiting the usual time. So unless I was really trying to save on flight cost, I wouldn't bother with it. :P

Yeah Rach, congrats. 6 interviews is crazy. I'm so stoked that I've gotten at least 1 interview, let alone 4. I'm kinda surprised that I'm the only one so far interviewing at EVMS given my mediocre mcat and average gpa. I hope everyone here going through this craziness will have a happy ending. All the schools are great in there own way, and I know that if I get accepted to any of them, it'll be like a huge weight lifting off my shoulders. :D

Yeah Rach, congrats. 6 interviews is crazy. I'm so stoked that I've gotten at least 1 interview, let alone 4. I'm kinda surprised that I'm the only one so far interviewing at EVMS given my mediocre mcat and average gpa. I hope everyone here going through this craziness will have a happy ending. All the schools are great in there own way, and I know that if I get accepted to any of them, it'll be like a huge weight lifting off my shoulders. :D

Thanks viscous and wrighm6. US applications are such a pain in the *ss that it's only fair for all of us to get some good news. :o

Well don't be too surprised about your success thus far. US schools seem to do a good job of looking at applications as more than numbers so I'm sure you have some great essays or ECs. :D

Wow Rach, congrats! You're gonna be busy in the next little while flying from here to there ;)

Out of curiosity here, is anyone here who's applying as an international student attended university outside of the US (i.e. Canada)? I'm starting to get really paranoid that it's going to be a severe disadvantage....

I'm pretty sure that most people on that interview list studied in Canada. It definitely helps to have studied in the US, but studying in Canada won't sink your app. Also, some schools consider Canadians as "out-of-state" applicants so for those schools it's not much of an issue.

Out of curiosity here, is anyone here who's applying as an international student attended university outside of the US (i.e. Canada)? I'm starting to get really paranoid that it's going to be a severe disadvantage....

I agree that probably most people on this board studied in Canada. If you look at the requirements for most schools, they want you to have completed school in the US or Canada which shouldn't put anybody at a disadvantage considering the similarity in level/toughness of post-secondary studies.

When I did a short stint at McGill I found there to be a lot of Americans at the university. I think the US realizes that it isn't a foreign concept for US citizens to study in Canada. At least at McGill, US students paid less in tuition to go there than in the US.

I'm just curious for those of you who are applying to both the US and Canada where you would go if you got into schools in both countries. I ask this cause I was faced with this choice last year and chose to go to a Canadian school but it was definitely a tough decision for me.

It depends on the school options you are presented with. If you get into a US school which offers what you want, it may be worth going there although the cost is high.

Canada is simply the easier route in terms of cost, no visa issues (for you and potential partner/spouse), potentially Cdn residency matching if you are already worried about that.

If I got into only US schools that I wasn't too keen on yet got into Canada I would choose Canada.

It depends on the school options you are presented with. If you get into a US school which offers what you want, it may be worth going there although the cost is high.

Canada is simply the easier route in terms of cost, no visa issues (for you and potential partner/spouse), potentially Cdn residency matching if you are already worried about that.

If I got into only US schools that I wasn't too keen on yet got into Canada I would choose Canada.

Ya, that's why it was such a tough choice for me. I got into a really great school in the US that I really liked a lot in a location that I liked a lot. In the end though it came down to costs vs. benefits (it would have cost me around 200K extra to attend the US school) as well as a some concern about visa issues so I ultimately decided to stay in Canada.

I agree. I always thought that I would go to Canada regardless of how good the American school is but now that the possibility of getting into a good school in the US is real I might actually wait and make a decision at the last possible moment.

Archived