Premed 101 Forums

High School Graduate Staying Back

C2U2

Don't register formally, just audit (attend) the course. Once you register in any higher education course, whether long distance ed or not, you must disclose it. It is part of your record. Worse, you register and don't write the exam, it will follow you forever. Be careful what you do and how you go about it.

I graduated from high school this year and plan to go back to high school in Semester 1 to retake a few courses for upgrading my previous marks.

That means, I will have the whole Semester 2 off and Summer off as well. I will have nothing to do during the months of Feb-August. (7 months)

I plan on taking some first year science courses at a nearby University (UofT or York or Ryerson) in Semester 2 for preparing myself when I officially go to University in Sept 2010. I want to pay the tuition for the courses and go there to learn while I am in no way affiliated with the University. At the end of the semester, I don't want the marks or credit, as it can potentially affect my future GPA. I just want to pay and learn there, that's it.

How do I go about doing this? And I'm not sure, but is this called distance education?

Please advise. Has anyone done this before?

Paying for and taking a course but not getting marks/credit is called "auditing" the course.

You could talk to the university registrar's office about doing that. The thing is, if you audit a course it will show up on your transcript and the university very likely won't allow you to take it for credit later (check with the registrar's office about this). Given that you're finishing highschool and planning on entering university, they might not even let you audit courses and tell you just to register like a normal student in Sept 2010.

First-year university science courses are known for their huge enrollments. You could just kinda show up to the lectures if you're looking to get an idea of the pace, content, etc. Nobody would likely notice an extra person sitting in on the lectures. The downside of this is that you won't be able to hand in assignments and get marks (to gauge how well you're learning). I suppose one could also make an argument that this is ethically sketchy because you're gaining the benefit of the course without paying for it (though you wouldn't be the first person in history to sit in on a course that you didn't actually register for).

G'luck

First-year university science courses are known for their huge enrollments. You could just kinda show up to the lectures if you're looking to get an idea of the pace, content, etc. Nobody would likely notice an extra person sitting in on the lectures. The downside of this is that you won't be able to hand in assignments and get marks (to gauge how well you're learning)

This is probably the best method, despite not paying for the course. First year science courses like Biology and Chemistry have huge enrollments. Here at Carleton 1st year Chem and Bio had about 300 students, so you will have no problem hiding because the prof will never know. The good part is that after the first 2 weeks, the number of people in class significantly drops, so you won't have to worry about taking the spot of someone who actually paid. I guess the only thing is finding out where and when the courses are.

Archived