Premed 101 Forums

In need of some advice

Ikky43

Don't worry, a 3.61 is a solid first year set of grades particularly from U of T. If you pulled that off with everything that went on in your life, I'm sure that with equal hard work and no/less distractions your grades will increase. Every school has different requirements, read up on all of them and maximize your GPA to make you competitive for as many as possible.

Re: extracurricular portfolio--the best and only advice you need is to spend your free time doing things that you enjoy doing, which reflect the kind of person you are, and which can provide some opportunity for personal growth.

Perhaps you were a star in sports in high school...maybe you'd like to assistant coach a team (whatever level interests you) in the community. Played hockey? Maybe you want to learn to officiate games and contribute to the sport in another way. If you enjoy reading and spending time with others one on one, volunteer at a literacy/numeracy program. Do you like walking? Join the campus walkhome service.

Seriously...the possibilities are endless. There is no formula for success. Pick some things you like and follow through on your commitment to them. Med schools like to see commitment.

Good luck!

Hey guys,

I am a first time poster here and was in need of some advice.

I just completed the first year of my Bsc at U of T this May. I found that my cGPA was not that hot. I ended up with a 3.61. But I know that this is nowhere close to my potential. However, this is kind of going to mess up my undergrad cGPA.

Anyway; what I wanted advice on was whether or not an upward trend (a 4.0) for the duration of my undergrad degree resulting in a 3.9 cGPA would be better looked upon then say: a constant 3.9 cGPA. My reason for not doing so well is due to some family related issues. My brother actually had some mental health issues this past year resulting in jail time; court and government documented. My brother's issues were a huge deal in the family. It was really a heart-breaking year plagued with personal problems (a sports injury which I mention and a bad breakup) I also had knee surgery this December for a torn meniscus (obviously documented, I HOPE!!!). And now my mom and brother went off to a different country for on-going rehab purposes this February. I was wondering if any of this would be taken into account when my application is viewed.

Also I was wondering what type of E.C.'s you experienced future-doctors would recommend! :P

Thanks so much for reading and providing your input. I REALLY appreciate it. And good luck to everyone who's expecting a med school invite anytime soon!

lambie has given you solid advice. You attained an amzing achievement considering and yes, you are in a special cirxumstances category too. Your gardes are very decent asnd remember the U/t weighting formula in due course. An upward trend is great, so is a consistent 3.9, it is all part of the overall pavkage in this lottery. Your cGPA is not messed up, just carry on being the capable, well rounded individual whom you are and then, let life play its cards over which none of us have any control. You have gone thru tremendous growth and development, were able to maintain your focus at a high level n/w/s these issues and you are a better and more mature person as a result. As for ECs, I recommend any worthwhile activities that you would enjoy and that would contribute to your overall growth.

Archived