Premed 101 Forums

Course selections: bird vs. useful courses

dreamer

Hello,

Just wondering what some of your thoughts were on this... I currently switched out of the BMSc program at UWO and I'm doing a normal BSc degree. As such, I have less use for doing biochemistry and orgo (2nd half) as I don't really need them for the BSc degree. So I'm thinking about loading a couple more birds instead to replace them... But I'm afraid my course-load will look too jam packed with birds, a full 2.0 credits worth of them...

Since my best shots are at the top 2 / best 2 year schools that basically don't require pre-reqs, should I switch to some lighter subjects? Or would it be good to have those pre-reqs around for MCAT purposes or to please Ad-coms? I wrote the MCAT a few weeks ago and haven't gotten my results yet. I may or may not need to write again, so they may help in case I do. Also, my chances at schools which require these pre-reqs (in the US, Ottawa etc.) aren't that hot.

Thanks!

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

I'm curious to know if some schools will care if you load up on "easier courses". I know Queens / Western absolutely does not care so long as you fulfill their course-year requirements. But what about Dal, USask, or Calgary -- the other top 2 / best 2 year schools?

Well...

You should consider taking courses that match your year/level of study. A number of schools seem to look at that (UWO, U of T, etc). For example, if you are a 4th-year student, it doesn't matter the courses you take are 400-level easy courses (assuming they fulfill your degree requirements).

You may also want to set up a meeting with your advisor to help you sort out the details of switching programs and/or read your undergrad calendar.

Good luck!

I'm already taking about 60% at the 3rd or 4th year level. But I was just wondering if specific schools I mentioned would have a problem with loading a full 2 credits of Psych or "Basketweaving" 101 type courses. I would be taking biochem or orgo instead, which are more challenging for sure, but may also be more "useful" to me, even though the schools which I apply to may not require it.

Given that though, some cutoffs for GPA are notoriously high (namely USask), and if you're gunning for some of these schools, something is pushing me to take the birds...

Thanks for the thoughts Halcyon... Anyone else have something to add?

I'm already taking about 60% at the 3rd or 4th year level. But I was just wondering if specific schools I mentioned would have a problem with loading a full 2 credits of Psych or "Basketweaving" 101 type courses. I would be taking biochem or orgo instead, which are more challenging for sure, but may also be more "useful" to me, even though the schools which I apply to may not require it.

Given that though, some cutoffs for GPA are notoriously high (namely USask), and if you're gunning for some of these schools, something is pushing me to take the birds...

Thanks for the thoughts Halcyon... Anyone else have something to add?

Sounds like you are in a GPA bind, where currently you don't have high enough grades. Since most schools just use GPA as a blind cut off or component of the total score given to an applicant, as long as you hit the number 3rd or 4th years courses you are supposed to get each year it would seem logical to do what you can to get that GPA up.

U of S won't care - I got accepted at that school this year and about half of the courses were pysch in my best years they used (one of my degrees was in psych).

• 2 weeks later...

Yea, I'm still really stuck in a dilemma now it seems as I am totally ambivalent on this issue and don't know what to do. Add/ Drop period ends in a couple of days and I will really have to decide!

My cGPA is quite low (<3.0) and so realistically, I don't have much chances in the states or any of the canadian schools that look at these cumulative grades. I'm therefore primarily going for the top 3 year / top 2 year schools. Based on further calculations, I don't have a strong chance at Ottawa (even with a 4.0 this year, my 3 year average would be about 3.80).

So, I'm really shooting for USask, Dal, Calgary, Queens and Western. As far as I know, these schools don't require any hard-pre reqs? Can someone verify this? Calgary recommends certain courses, but do they really care if you've taken biochem or a full year of orgo (i've taken a half already)?

I really feel like I need to do everything I can to shoot for that crazy high admission cutoff for U of Sask. Is forgoing these pre-reqs a good idea? It just feels crazy weird to be going for med and not doing these pre-reqs, especially as a second degree student...

Archived