Premed 101 Forums

May 10-12 Weekend

Guest hmsdread

Guest hmsdread

Hi all,

Just to let everyone know, the invites for the May 10-12 weekend have started to come out. Received mine bright and early this morning (7:45 am!) by email... keep your eyes open.

Good luck

hmsdread

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest hmsdread

Hi Sz,

I don't mind posting my stats, but it's been shown time and again on this board that the best stats don't necessarily equate to an interview offer. I've seen posts of high 3.9 gpa's and 35+ mcats not getting interviews, and here I am with one. The deciding factor must be the essay; I worked hard on my essay and had a lot of extracurriculars to draw on for specific examples. Anyways, here are the stats:

Gpa: Around 3.9

MCAT: 9V, 11P, 12B, Q

good luck

hmsdread

Guest 39 Shabby

3.9 is definitely not shabby! I think anywhere with 3.8 you have a decent shot at an interview. Jeez, I only wished I worked as hard in undergrad. :(

Guest hmsdread

Hey all,

Yeah, I'm happy with my stats...all I was saying was that I've seen people who have been rejected with clearly better stats - high 3.9's and upper 30 MCATs. Then there are the people who have all 8's on the MCAT, or even a 7, who get interviewed. Thus, the decisive factor must be something other than gpa and mcat. The most logical explanation is the essay.

hmsdread

hi everyone --

1. does everybody with an interview get emailed, i.e., if I haven't gotten an email yet should I assume that I didn't get an invite to the may 13th weekend?

2. is there a second interview weekend in may, or is this it?

getting a little panicky here...

thanks!

Guest JSS02

There's one interview "weekend" in May - on the 10th and 13th. Considering how behind they were with sending out invites for the other weekends, I seriously doubt they're done with the May weekend already... so don't worry.

Guest hmsdread

Hi all,

Anyone else get an interview on May 12? The student website lists only the 10th and 13th as interview dates, what JSS02 has said.

hmsdread

the recored message at the admissions office and the weblink they sent with the invite both state that they will be interviewing only on the 10th and the 13th (icarus.med.utoronto.ca/0t...ssions)..i have been invited for an interview on the 11th....could that be a mistake...should i call the admission office to find out? or will that seem stupid?

I e-mailed the addmissions office today and they said that they have are holding interviews on May 11th and 12th in addition to the planned may 10th and 13th dates.

All of us with interviews on those days don't have to be confused anymore. see you there...

Okay, I have a 3.94 gpa, good extracurric's

BUT I HAVENT HEARD ANYTHING YET!!!!

I thought my essay was good, but now im second guessing.

ANYONE WANT TO HELP ME OUT and TELL ME THEIR OPINION!!!!

What are your stats (who got interviews) and what did you think of your essay. I wrote 1 paragraph /question asked, while integrating the two paragraphs with 1-2 sentances of "linkers".

HELP!!!!

Guest George

I know exactly how you feel. I am in a very similar situation. Did you interview anywhere else? I interviewed at McMaster and McGill. From Ottawa they told me that I made the 650 people marks-based cut-off but after reading my bio I did not make the interview. Anyway, just wanted to express some sympathy. Good luck still.

Guest aneliz

I am in exactly the same boat with you! Similar GPA, good MCAT and extracurriculars and same essay strategy. I thought that my essay was good, so did the people that I had proof-read it. And yet, still nothing from TO - although I am not hopeful at this point. I guess that there are at least two of us in this situation.

Very good point. Maybe in one of the reference letters somebody wrote:

"He/She is a good person and really wants to do medicine, but is too competitive and obsessed with getting in (e.g., posting his/her GPA and MCAT on an internet forum and complaining about every admissions process) that I fear that he/she has lost track about what life is about."

Think about it people.

Mark

Lost track of what life is really about? I would say that most people here have a very clear idea about life and the direction they want theirs to go in. Here are a bunch of people who are hoping to enter a profession that is rigours and demanding, in the hope they can be of service to others. May I ask what YOU are doing on this forum if you are not interested/hoping of one day becoming a doctor?

Posting stats on this forum is something that has no clear benefit from my point of view - but no real harm either. I don't see anyone evidence of people being obsessed and competitive on this thread, either. And if you notice, the one post of stats was done at the request of someone else trying to guage their chances of receiving an interview - and complaining about admissions processes is a way of releasing stress and anxiety about whether or not one will be receiving an interview.

I suggest that if you have nothing constructive to say, stay away from this forum. Most people here are very friendly and are doing all they can to support each other until May 31 arrives. Comments like yours drag everyone's spirit down.

Guest Puleaze

You think there's something wrong with wondering how you compare to applicants who still haven't heard yet (or whom have been accepted rejected)?! Or with wondering what's up, having heard not a word through mid-April? Yes, surely that indicates having lost track of what life is about; the latter obviously being the thrill that comes from taking potshots at people you don't know. Think about that.

Archived