Premed 101 Forums

May 10-12 Weekend

Guest hmsdread

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ziggurat

Maybe your "tons of extracurriculars" are garbage filler that are obviously transparent attempts to seem "active" and "interested"... How about doing a few things really well? Volunteering in the hospital or old folks home is quite unimpressive unless you actually put your heart into it and made a difference there. Perhaps the readers of your essay were not impressed by your vast list of student government positions which are "elected" due to apathy (ie. you got all 3 votes cast) or popularity?

Maybe they weren't impressed by your inability to follow instructions and answer the required questions... do you think you are special or something and can write whatever you deem important? Perhaps your "ethical" issue was so fricking obvious that it actually wasn't an issue... or perhaps you never really gave an answer to what you would do.

Maybe they were so confused by your pseudo-intellectual verbose prose they just got fed up and turfed you to the end of the pile... just because that garbage confuses poor,over-worked arts TAs and get you "A"s at your little coconut college doesn't mean it will impress actual people in the real world.

Hopefully your "shining" personality will have been apparent to wherever else you got interviews but I doubt it... your arrogant ass will probably be granted admission somewhere. Please do us and your future patients a favour and try to mature a bit in the next little while? You are not god just because you did well in undergrad...

Guest utapp

I had the opposite experience of disgruntled...my gpa is preety low (3.72, btw I'm not a grad student)...mcats were the bare minimum...not a heck of alot of extracurrics (I don't want to waste my time on stuff I hate, eg student government, theatre, etc...)...some volunteer experience (not medically related)...and I thought my essay sucked because my previous boss (PhD something) basically said it sucked...I applied to all ontarioo schools and only applied to ut as an after thought...yet the only interview I got was ut...and obviously my grammar sucks since I use "..." in the place of real sentence infrastructure elements...

Guest disgruntled

Sorry buddy but it seems that you have an inferiority complex. You don't know me OR my credentials so it seems unfair to make general statements about where I would fall in the applicant pool. I hope IF you get into medical school, you would not hold preconceived notions about people based on your past experiences with other people.

Guest Zoolander

What are you talking about he doesn't know you or your credentials? You frigging posted them! You then proceeded to say how you have TONS of EC's and how you are an excellent writter, whatever the hell that is.

Man, you were looking to get ripped apart just by saying that a particular schools med admssions process is messed simply because YOU didn't get in.

You should try to get into garbageman school instead so you can learn about trash like yourself.

I don't know why you would get so worked up about a an obviously faked post. The incorrect spelling--there is even a spell check when making a post--and deliberately improper grammar (i.e. double negative) show this to be the sarcastic message it was probably meant to be.

Guest ziggurat

I don't have an inferiority complex, just a strong dislike for arrogance in potential doctors. This is one career where false bravado can get you into a lot of trouble. Humility, compassion, altruism, dedication and, above all, integrity are the qualities I think are important in a healthcare provider.

Incidentally, I am already in medical school at UofT (perhaps I read Disruntled's essay?)...

Good luck to all of you. I know how hard it can be and how much luck is a factor. Just don't give up, keep a good attitude and never stop trying to improve yourselves. If you want it bad enough (and for the right reasons) you will get in!

Guest Akane200

Please be polite everyone.

So you didn't get an invite to TO for interviews. You may have excellent stats, but there are other reasons why you may have been rejected. Most namely, for people with excellent stats and essays, it could be that someone wrote you a very bad reference letter. Bad reference letter may equal no interview! (even if everything else is excellent)

Please don't go claiming that U of T admissions is a farce just because they rejected YOU (and that's exactly what you are doing in this thread). They rejected many others as well. There's 10 X the number of applicants than there are places in the class. And you know what? They weed people out. The hardest part of the whole process is choosing. Like others have said before, <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--> sometimes<!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> the process is about finding reasons not to admit people because they do have to screen so many applicants out.

That being said, there are also people with really high marks who have deplorable writing skills. I reviewed essays, and I've seen some pretty terrible stuff and some amazing essays. I don't understand why people don't answer the questions asked. They should, because that's where the marks are. I also feel that some people assumed that we, the reviewers, are stupid so they could just pull a fast one thinking we don't know the schools or activities done. I didn't like that. Some essays had an arrogant tone, while others were so modest yet was able to convey how great the applicants were. The better essays do deserve better marks.

Guest shkelo

Who knew that the person who writes the best makes the best doctor? News to me. Why don't they just have a spelling bee. Line 'em all up. Johnny, spell interac. Um, I-N-T-E-R-A-C....T! Oh sorry, you gotta go! Next!! Pulease...I remember to ask my surgeon what his English mark was. Medicine is about doing, not writing. If it was about writing, then why is there no elective on developing Rx handwriting skills?!?

Guest YongQ

If your essay is good, then admissions can at least tell you are able to communicate who you are effectively. I think it also correlates strongly with your profile - if you have activities that are meaningful to you, this will be obvious in the essay - and if you didn't learn from any of your activities (e.g. didn't participate with enthusiasm and effort) this will be painfully obvious. Communication is important in medicine. If your essay is poor, then in a way you still COULD be a great applicant but how the heck can we tell? Do you want adcoms to give out 2000 interviews every year - obviously this is impossible. I think in summary, I think a good essay is important because, "good essay = likely a good applicant, but bad essay = could be a good applicant." And in the admissions game, appearing only as one of those "could-be-good" applicants will get you more rejections than interviews.

Guest shkelo

You know what I don't understand. Where's English in the pre-reqs? The only school that I know that includes it as a requirement for medicine is Alberta. Go figure. If meds can have organic chemistry, why not English? Hmmph, I betcha there's a course that will bring out the weed-wacker to Med school applicants. Oh yeah, baby...verbal reasoning meet English; English meet verbal reasoning - typically, the 2 worst performers (and headaches) for applicants.

It's either that or med schools have to change their essay scoring scheme - reminds me of the judging fiacso at the Olympics. Who's for a blind scoring system to allieve some of the "luck" factor in the application process? I don't like the "block judging" of one person reading my essay.

Guest 6ajb3

Is Jerry Springer listening? This is good fodder. Before anyone responds...I'm juhust johoking...kidding hahaahehee ahem.

Guest governorgeneral

uh... don't mean to interrupt, but maybe this could go into a new thread? here i am checking back regularly for something about the "May 10-12 Weekend" and all i get is this essays debate. not that it isn't fascinating - it concerns me too - but anyway, just a thought.

Guest cheech10

I think english is left off since most Ontario schools require OAC english, and very few university programs require an english course (in Ontario at least).

Guest ziggurat

shkelo,

We didn't "block judge" your essay... I read it independantly, as did some faculty member and some member of the community at large... I guess we just all reached the same conclusion that it sucked and sent you a PFO letter... sorry.

Hey not true, nice to see that you're capable of criticizing other people's grammar. That's the first step in making it to the top of your medical school class. :rolleyes

Ziggurat, what's with the response to shkelo's message? Dismissing his essay by saying it just "sucked" (when you haven't even read it) since it doesn't appear he got an interview seems pretty arrogant to me. I know it probably does not represent the real you (as evidenced from your earlier reply to disgruntled), but remarks like these tend to perpetuate the stereotype of medical students having a "God complex." I would hope that being accepted into medical school does not change people for the worse.

Guest shkelo

It appears you need some spelling lessons as well, Mr. "independantly". Your assessment skills apparently need some work. BTW, what are your credentials? "I'm in med school." Ha, Ha, what a joke! And what are you talkin' about, fool? I didn't receive a PFO letter. Just waiting like the rest of the applicants on the board. Hmmm, you never know, maybe I'll see you next year.

Guest disgruntled

Ahem.....let me clarify what my point was. I wasn't asking "why oh why didn't I get an interview", my post was to merely demonstrate that there is ALOT of luck to the medical admissions procedures. The evidence for the luck in the procedures is that some of the questions answered in the queens and mac profiles are asked to be addressed in the u of t essay. As such, if my answers to these questions were deemed successful to those ad-coms then why not to the u of t ad-com (perhaps luck...). So my post was not one of arrogance but rather of a confrontation of the luck behind the admissions process.

Guest persistenc3

hi all,

just wanted to get some feedback from the applicants who have recently heard from TO about the interview invites for the may weekend.

does anyone know if they are still sending invites this late in the application stage ? I am getting restless day by day, as the interview weekend draws near, with no response from the school yet.

Honestly speaking, I have actually lost all hope for any good news now. :::::::::(

it would be of great help if anyone can offer any input in this regard. thanks.

Archived