Premed 101 Forums

May 10-12 Weekend

Guest hmsdread

Guest YongQ

Hi everybody,

Remember, at these forums, anything goes as long as it stays civil. Mark makes a point in that <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--> logically<!--EZCODE ITALIC END-->, it doesn't really help to post your stats here and ask your peers what they think of them... however, I remember back in the days of premed (it wasn't that long ago!), and being in the admissions process. It can be pretty stressful and demoralizing, having your fate entirely out of your hands. The best advice right now I can give to you guys is hang in there - just because you haven't been interviewed yet doesn't mean you have a higher probability of being rejected, nor does it mean that there's anything wrong with you, your GPA, your MCAT, or the rest of your app. I remember last year when I received 4 straight rejections (some with and some without interviews) before my 1 acceptance. So until the fat lady sings, put your worries behind you!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest From Ottawa

I have to say that the posting of stats has really helped me, before I knew average of the last class I though I had a good chance. But now after actually knowing the numbers I am much more relaxed. I probably won't get an interview and so can sleep a lot better.

Guest From Ottawa

BTW if I were to get an interview I would be gladly surprised and would definitely post my stats to give others with not such a great GPA some hope.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi guys,

I was just chatting with my pal who's currently in UT meds and she mentioned that the final batch of applications have just been picked up to be reviewed by the students in her class. She mentioned that she thought that the students have about one week to review the applications, so that would mean that there will be at least another week plus a few days where scores will be compiled and interview invitations sent.

She also mentioned that, apparently there was a bit of a problem initially, trying to recruit enough students to review the applications.

So good luck, and hang in there,

Kirsteen

Unfortunately judging from this forum there are so many of us that haven't heard anything for the vast majority it can't be good.....despite what they say there must be a batch of rejections that is gonna be sent out.

Guest Carla

I am prepared for anything at this point. You're right, some of us will get rejected. It is possible that the majority of us might actually get offered an interview - maybe we're all at this site because we have a tendency to be overachievers (in a good way) and generally concerned and focussed people. Not necessarily a bad thing, and might actually mean that most of us will get an interview. Oh well, I guess we'll soon find out. Good luck :)

Guest aneliz

Hey guys, just to let you know that it ain't over yet! :)

I got my UofT invite by e-mail this morning (April 23)!!! I had given up all hope and was waiting for my PFO. So, don't give up hope - invitations are still coming.

Good luck to everybody. I know how much it sucks. Keep checking your e-mail and maybe you will find one with the subject INTERVIEW INVITATION.

:):):)

Guest ALSOwaiting

I talked to the admissions office, they said "the last interview invitations will be sent out a FEW days before the May 10th weekend". So, I guess there's still a chance, even if it is small.

Guest bc guy

since any notice for interview will not make the before 15 days booking rule for Air Canada to get the best price, airfare will be at a premium eg $1,245 instead of the usual $600

I don't understand. Sounds like you all have great stats. How can someone like me, with a 3.65 cGPA and 7/10/10/S MCAT (and OOP!!) get an interview before you guys!?! I applied to U of T as a lark because I thought I wouldn't even qualify with the 7 on my MCAT scores. U of T sure has a weird way of doing things...maybe I slipped though the cracks..hee,hee.

U of T doesn't favour Ontario students (unfortunately for us). Is your GPA 3.65 after applying the weighting formula that U of T uses? Their admissions people have said several times that usually it's not even worth applying as an undergrad student unless you have a 3.7 or better. You must have had something on your essay that really impressed them. Anyway congrats on the invitation, since you've made it to the interview stage you definitely have a chance.

Guest disgruntled

Uof T is a farce. I have a 3.8X and tons of extracurriculars. I was interviewed everywhere else except here. There is no way someone could say my essay wasnt written properly since I am a fantastic writter.(S on MCAT, A+ on arts courses) and published poetry in high school. The medical school addmisions processes is a farce. Obviously the guy/girl who read my essay saw that it was far beyond his/her comprehention. Furthermore, it is insane that they consider wheather or not you can be a good doctor by how you answered questions in the essay........crazy. It is totally all about luck. Whatever....................

p.s good luck to all who got an interview....take that 4 leaf clover with you to the interview.

Guest Argyle

Not to be pretentious, but in your post, "writter", "addmisions", "wheather" and "comprehention" were spelled incorrectly. Since t is not even close to s on the keyboard, this cannot be considered a typo IMO. Maybe the reviewer was someone like myself who cannot tolerate poor spelling and grammar. Sorry about the PFO, though.

Guest YongQ

Hey Disgruntled,

<!--EZCODE ITALIC START--> "Furthermore, it is insane that they consider wheather or not you can be a good doctor by how you answered questions in the essay........crazy.<!--EZCODE ITALIC END-->

I can understand this is a trying time for you as it is hard to receive rejection, but what's so crazy about asking applicants questions and judging them on the quality of their responses? As applicants, it is easy to comment on all the flaws of the admissions process - there are LOTS... but the thing is, it's pretty hard to improve on the admissions systems as they are. The people who judge your application are only human.

<!--EZCODE ITALIC START--> It is totally all about luck."<!--EZCODE ITALIC END-->

Amen to that, luck is a huge factor. Sorry for the PFO letter.

Guest Sorry

hey, i am sorry to hear that you received a rejection letter. keep your head up though, you'll get there. don't let the luck aspect get you down, there is nothing you can do about it.

Guest Akane200

They are adding more days to the upcoming interview weekend. They're scrambling for interviewers and volunteers because of it. Things are running late this year. Some essays weren't finished being reviewed until last week. So, don't give up yet. :)

Guest Kirsteen

Hi Akane200,

Thanks for that info. A similar approach was taken two years ago when UT added another, whole interview weekend after the last one in May.

One thing I'm wondering: how many applicants are interviewed at UT per interview day? Do you have any idea?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest curious

Hi Kirsteen,

When I interviewed at UT, there were approximately 25-30 people there (morning + afternoon). Hope this helps!

Are you still waiting to hear from UT?

Archived