Premed 101 Forums

May 10-12 Weekend

Guest hmsdread

Guest hulahulahula

I hear you!!! Is it over at this point, or is there still a chance that they are STILL sending out invites? How frustrating!!!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest The Fox Rox

Hey guys,

This is a very interesting forum. Most people writing here have not gotten an interview yet, and may not get one at all. Is it just a coincidence that this is the meanest and most bitter forum I have come across. May be not.

Disgruntled and Shleko, you might be very nice people in real life, but don't come across as being such in your posts in this forum. Maybe, just maybe, the U of T people reading your essay got a similar impression of you from your essay, as I did from your posts.

Please don't whine about how much your essay is worth, and how unfair that is. All of us knew that the essay was really important before we applied (if you did not, you know now, you are prepared for next year). You do not need to be an English pundit to do well on the essay, you just need to be able to communicate well. If you cant communicate your ideas to the adcoms, you are probably a very poor writer. If that is the case then you will not be able to communicate well in writing with other doctors, if you become one, and this can lead to serious complications for your patients. The essay is an excellent opportunity for us all to sell ourselves to the admissions committee. They don't really have the time or resources (unless you are willing to spend 10000 dollars per application) to send out a person to scout you, to see what a great person you are in your natural settings. If you are not adaptable enough to write a good essay, you are digging your own hole.

Morevoer, I think it is just the bitterness that is causing most people to call U of T's admissions process a farce. U of T has quite a fair way of giving interview. You should check our U of C's admission process, where they follow the 'wholistic' method of giving interviews and admission. Or Queens where if you do not have a 10 on VR, then tough luck buddy. I myself did not have a stellar GPA, had ok MCAT scores, and have never actually volunteered in a hospital. However I did get an interview, probably because I was modest and sincere in my essay. My chances of actually getting an offer are not that great, yet I will not whine about how unfair the process was, if I do get a rejection.

Wake up people, life is unfair. Do you think the deer thinks it fair that it is a lions food, of course not. All of us here are really lucky to begin with, in that we have an opportunity to attend medical school. There are a lot of unfortunate people out there who don't even have the opportunity get an elementary education, let alone medical school. I think all of us make our own luck. If you are a good candidate, you will come across as being one, at least at one of the many universities that you have applied to. Getting interviews at one university does not automatically mean you are a strong enough candidate to get interviews at all universities you have applied for. They all have different standards and different criteria. So just chill, and try harder next time.

Now you migth think why I spend all this time writing this message. It is because I believe most of the people on this forum are future doctors (or at least hope to be future doctors). However, this blaming factors of out ones control, and whining about them is not becoming of a doctor. Good doctors try to change things they have control over not whine about the rest. (Quoting Sean Connery from THE ROCK 'losers whine about their best, winners f**k the prom queen)

So in conclusion, chill out man. Obviously medical school is important for us, but don't get so obsessed about it. That is why every one should have a back up plan, things don't always go the way we want them to. If they did, what fun would there be in this life.

May the mud slinging continue,

The Fox That really Rox

(I did not proof read this message, so don't even try to point out mistakes)

Sorry for butting in again..but I noticed that some of you were already accepted to a med school (Alberta) recently, which something the vast majority of us can't say at this point. Congratulations. Hopefully if you're still waiting for Toronto you end up getting an interview there, but if not then you should still be excited that you'll be attending med school this fall, and then go and start enjoying your summer.

Guest hulahulahula

I think it's great that you received an interview "Fox that Rox", but the fact that you're preaching to us all about bitterness stems only from the fact that you actually received an interview. Sure, you may have had a stellar essay and proven that you can communicate well, but the fact that you are minimizing your peers' concerns regarding something that everyone here has been preparing for their entire lives, just goes to show that you will not be a very empathetic doctor --even when you've probably had the same feelings yourself until you received your interview.

Anyway, I've received my PFO in the mail from U of T, but I'm fine with it, and I have nothing negative to say about the school or its admissions process. Yes, I have questions, but I accept that life is unfair and that luck is a huge factor, but the last thing anyone wants to hear is some condescending person brag about how they're better than everyone else because they haven't expressed any bitterness.

Rejections teach you a lot about yourself. Let's see if your comments change if you don't receive an acceptance. At least Shkelo and co. are being honest about how they feel. Maybe life is about being consistent...

Guest bitter123456

i dont know what is wrong with ontario schools. i had a 3.94, and decent mcat scores, research, volunteer experience and i did not even receive a interview from UofT! and the funny thing is i am not the only one in the same boat! i know tons of others in the same situation. i am also a third year student, do u think they discriminate?

i know of people with 3.7's and had no other experience and got interviews and they were third eyars too!

could someone tell me what is going on here?

Guest browsing

bitter123456, frankly I don't believe it. There are plenty of people who just come in here to fan the flames, and from your post I don't know if you are one of them or not. Do you think anyone can actually answer your question "what's going on here"?? Nobody here will know why you were not given an interview. Maybe you should have called the admissions office at UofT to see. Surely they will have a good reason to deny your interview if you had a 3.94. why don't you call and then tell us, that will help everyone.

There's nothing that can be done about the luck element of getting in. The province has a shortage of doctors, there are many qualified, but not enough spots. As a student you can only hope they will make more spots, and to increase your chances in the lucky draw by applying to multiple places, preferably 2 times (after 3rd and 4th years).

Guest YongQ

Hey everybody,

I'll be frank with you all, this thread has degenerated significantly over the past couple weeks, and it's at the point where its content is probably more <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--> destructive<!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> than it is productive. If you have any concerns, please don't hesitate to start a fresh thread with an appropriate, focused topic.

Best wishes,

YONGQ

Archived