Premed 101 Forums

mcat repeating

I did my MCATs in July and got a score of 36R which I was satisfied with - but I was freaking out just after writing, so I registered for another date. It's too late for me to get a refund if I cancel this date now, so I was just going to go ahead and write it - but I haven't really been preparing for this one, so I'm probably going to do worse than the first one.

Someone told me that repeating MCATs and doing bad the second time looks bad when applying to Ontario medical schools - is that true? Or do they just look at your best score and ignore your other ones?

I did my MCATs in July and got a score of 36R which I was satisfied with - but I was freaking out just after writing, so I registered for another date. It's too late for me to get a refund if I cancel this date now, so I was just going to go ahead and write it - but I haven't really been preparing for this one, so I'm probably going to do worse than the first one.

Someone told me that repeating MCATs and doing bad the second time looks bad when applying to Ontario medical schools - is that true? Or do they just look at your best score and ignore your other ones?

Schools vary but a lot look at your most recent score. Unless that is a very unusually unbalanced score you are really risking things to rewrite. What is your break down by category (PS, BS etc) ?

I did the same thing last year; i.e., applied for a 2nd test date prior to getting my score for the first test (to cover my bases). However, I ended up doing well on the MCAT, and just didn't show up for the 2nd test I registered for. I did not get my $$ back, but at least I did not risk ruining my score. Most schools will look at your most recent score. As long as your score is well-balanced, I would not re-write at all; you gain no benefit by doing so.

I would avoid doing the MCAT again, especially with a score of 36R (assuming you have an even breakdown)...

It sucks to lose $200, but it's better than a) risking your score (especially when you haven't really been preparing) and B) subjecting yourself to the pain of writing the test again

Darn..no, I was looking last Mon...crazy looking on the aamc site for a spot for the 10th or 12th...but wrote on the 3rd......and I await the verdict..if I get a 36...it will be a miracle...36 is amazing amazing

You are too funny...and intuitive...but I am sure that others are still desparately looking...and so much time is wasted clicking those buttons and seeing NO SEATS..

My breakdown was 11 VR, 12 BS, 13 PS.

And I would cancel if I could give someone else the spot, but the AAMC website isn't letting me cancel any more...as in, there isn't even a link to cancel with. Sorry =(

Yeah that is a nice well rounded score that is at least one point higher than any cut off for any school I can think of. You are definitely good there :)

I heard there was a way of calling them directly to cancel? Not sure on that though.

My breakdown was 11 VR, 12 BS, 13 PS.

And I would cancel if I could give someone else the spot, but the AAMC website isn't letting me cancel any more...as in, there isn't even a link to cancel with. Sorry =(

I think you can contact AAMC (via phone) to cancel. You just probably won't get any money back, unfortunately. :(

Archived