Premed 101 Forums

Thoughts on the Equality of University Education

Guest Champ

Guest Champ

Dear Beaver/Habraz,

Like yourselves, I graduated from UT undegrad in 1996 (Hum Bio). I also did my M.Sc in UT Physiology. Finished Phd a year ago in England.

Good Luck to you folks!!

Guest Hey champ

Hey champ we talked a little bit before on another forum. How did your interview go. Well I hope. I also had mine in ottawa. They rushed me a bit but I did not make major mistakes and know for sure that I did not give them an excuse to not let me in. There were a few ethical questions. I guess we will know in a months time. I still have not heard anything from UofT no rejection and no interview invite for the weekend of may 10 to 13. They are ridicilous. anyway, I guess all I could do is to wait and see. Maybe I will call him and demand my rejection!

Guest Habraz

Hey champ we talked a little bit before on another forum. How did your interview go. Well I hope. I also had mine in ottawa. They rushed me a bit but I did not make major mistakes and know for sure that I did not give them an excuse to not let me in. There were a few ethical questions. I guess we will know in a months time. I still have not heard anything from UofT no rejection and no interview invite for the weekend of may 10 to 13. They are ridicilous. anyway, I guess all I could do is to wait and see. Maybe I will call him and demand my rejection!

Guest Champ

Hi there,

Interview at UT went OK. It was at 9am on a Sunday morning..so not the best time. They only asked me 2 or so questions about myself. One was the ...Why Medicine? and the other few were regarding my research and an extra-curric. Apart from that, I was disappointed that questions did not really arise for me to sell myself. They asked me alot about the healthcare systems in the UK (where I am now), the US and Canada. They asked me to solve the poverty problem in Toronto and a few other ethical questions. One the whole it was a non-event and while I know that post-interview impressions are not very good prognostic indicators, I am skeptical that they were able to tease out enough valuable information at the interview. In any case, we shall wait and see....

Myself and wife would be so anxious to come back to Toronto...Living in England is hard on the wallet!

With respect to UT and your interview notification...it seems a little odd that you have not been contacted either way...I would give it till mid- next week before really putting some pressure on them.

Good luck and keep me up to date.

champ

Guest Habraz

Hi champ, I would not be too hard on myself. I know a few people that thought they did not do stellar in the interview and got in anyway. a 9 oclock sunday morning interview does not help though (howcome they scheduled it so early). Perhaps they asked you all the questions that they needed to ask and if you answered them right then you have nothing to worry about. They asked me tough ethical questions. One was about abortion for a 12 year old girl where I am the physician and they kept making it harder (the father made her pregnant). But I worked my way through it. becuase of nerves and the fact that they were rushing me sometimes I babbled. I was so mad at them for this but kept my composure. I think overall they have a general good impression of PHD applicants becuase applying after all these years of schooling shows dedication and conviction. It says that I have looked at other options and still this is what I want to do. So I think as long as you have not made a huge mistake then you should be fine and you dont really need to "sell" yourself. You are already an exceptional candidate (top 5%) and they probably just want to see that you are not terrible for the medical profession. BTW this is a somewhat qualified opinion as I am mostly reflecting my freinds thoughts who is finishing meds at UofT this year and who interviewed people in 2000. Anyway good luck and post their response in a month.

Archived