Premed 101 Forums

Research Sketch

Prion

the NSERC should be an award I believe

the project could be research

Agreed.

Also, there's no rule of how to divide things. If they sound like two different things, you can separate them. If they will sound the same, you might want to keep them together. If you somehow run out of space it will also be advantageous to group similar things.

Agreed.

Also, there's no rule of how to divide things. If they sound like two different things, you can separate them. If they will sound the same, you might want to keep them together. If you somehow run out of space it will also be advantageous to group similar things.

Wow :eek: , that actually happens to people?!!

Agreed.

the NSERC should be an award I believe

the project could be research

Well I was going to have a separate entry for NSERC as an award. For the research part, since I'm in the same lab under the same supervisor, I could divide it up into summer research student and 4th year project student, or have them all together. The only difference is that I worked on different projects. And had a poster presentation for the latter one.

to be honest, divvy it up how you feel makes the most impact

wont matter much in the long run imo

Its more what you make of these experiences. I only had 19 this past year. The year before, I had 32.

Thanks for the replies. I realize the number itself doesn't matter but mine is still pretty low, also aside from research I have probably only 2 relatively long term commitments. So it's only natural that I'm a little worried about the size of my sketch.

One more question, one of my research project caught some media attention and I was interviewed by several well-known newspapers. Would it be a good idea to create a separate entry on the sketch? It was quite a unique experience for me, and I guess I could put it under the "Other" category. But again I could just briefly mentioned it under the research description, I do'nt want to come across as pretentious or anything like that.

Well I was going to have a separate entry for NSERC as an award. For the research part, since I'm in the same lab under the same supervisor, I could divide it up into summer research student and 4th year project student, or have them all together. The only difference is that I worked on different projects. And had a poster presentation for the latter one.

Oh this is news for me. I've been putting an NSERC summer student gig as one thing only - an award. I didn't know I could put it both under awards and research. Good stuff :D.

Strange people that put everything under the sun on there their apps :) I never thought it was that good of an idea though, better to focus on the highlights IMHO

Yes, that's what I thought last year, but seeing as how I'm still here this year, I'm starting to rethink my strategy. I still definitely don't have 48 items, but I'm trying to include everything I can think of so that at least I can show that I've kept myself very busy. So now, I'm even including my Driving School that I did one summer under Formal Education.

how are you guys putting publications in the sketch? There's not much space to put the title of the paper...are you just putting down the citation (Journal, year, Volume, Page #s)?

k I'm a dummy, and didn't realize you are allowed to put in details.

Does this mean every research project, abstract, and publication should be a separate entry on the sketch?

I keep seeing people put down their 4th year reserach project under the research section of the sketch...in the omsas application under research is says you are not suppose to put down research that was done as part of a course (i.e., 4th year project).

Am I missing something? I would love to put down a year and a half of research with publications and a poster presentation...but I did some of the work as part of my thesis class. I am worried I am going to be slammed for that.

Any thoughts?

I keep seeing people put down their 4th year reserach project under the research section of the sketch...in the omsas application under research is says you are not suppose to put down research that was done as part of a course (i.e., 4th year project).

Am I missing something? I would love to put down a year and a half of research with publications and a poster presentation...but I did some of the work as part of my thesis class. I am worried I am going to be slammed for that.

Any thoughts?

where? in the instruction booklet?

Nope - when you are inputing the details under the research section (the place where you put the verifier number), it says clearly in the instructions at the top that work you did as part of class does not count as research.

See here

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29645&highlight=project+course

My initial reaction was that maybe it refers to "lab work" done as part of a course.

It would be absurd if a project course isn't counted as research... what's the difference? You are still doing research.

Nope - when you are inputing the details under the research section (the place where you put the verifier number), it says clearly in the instructions at the top that work you did as part of class does not count as research.

See here

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29645&highlight=project+course

My initial reaction was that maybe it refers to "lab work" done as part of a course.

It would be absurd if a project course isn't counted as research... what's the difference? You are still doing research.

Aah, yes, this is exactly what I was refering to Northern Researcher! I remembered this clause from last year's apps. And I made a thread on it...but seeing as how prion has sorted it out, I think it's allowed to list thesis project under research.

how are you guys putting publications in the sketch? There's not much space to put the title of the paper...are you just putting down the citation (Journal, year, Volume, Page #s)?

ii was quickly reading through the thread and i didnt see an answer to this.. i was wondering how you guys wrote down the description for your papers?

For research publications, abstracts, conference presentations, in description I put: Author: <<journal ref>>

For project title, I usually had to cut out words or just put the first 8 words and then ... (that box is way too small!!!)

I listed each paper and presentation separately. I did not list my "lab work" in the research category because it was covered either under employment or education. Productivity as illustrated by accepted papers, abstracts, and presentations should cover all bases.

To each their own.

Good luck!

LL

Archived