Premed 101 Forums

Applying (for the third time), but this time as a PhD student! question:

Hi folks!

I am applying for the third time, only to University of Ottawa. I finished master's in cellular and molecular medicine and bachelor in biochem (all in ottawa U) and currently just started a PhD in microbio and immunology, again at ottawa U.

My questions to you is: is it better if I do not mention anything about my PhD? I heard including it might hurt the applicant's chances as I might be asked (so what about your PhD, are you just going 'dumb' your lab?) or (does your supervisor know about your med interview and application?)

Another question: would it be ok if I get all my 3 ref letters from non profs? like one from an academic center from the university where I volunteered, one from a new scientist who worked with me in the past and one from a religious minister.

Thanks a lot guys!

Hi folks!

I am applying for the third time, only to University of Ottawa. I finished master's in cellular and molecular medicine and bachelor in biochem (all in ottawa U) and currently just started a PhD in microbio and immunology, again at ottawa U.

My questions to you is: is it better if I do not mention anything about my PhD? I heard including it might hurt the applicant's chances as I might be asked (so what about your PhD, are you just going 'dumb' your lab?) or (does your supervisor know about your med interview and application?)

Another question: would it be ok if I get all my 3 ref letters from non profs? like one from an academic center from the university where I volunteered, one from a new scientist who worked with me in the past and one from a religious minister.

Thanks a lot guys!

Interesting! Are you basically (probably with a good reason) trying to hide your PHD status? Sounds dangerous :)

If transcripts just go through OMSAS they likely would reveal it as they only deal with prior course work, and your phD just started. Your reference approach is fine in general.

Archived