Premed 101 Forums

Any September 12th'ers Out there?

supafield

PS was pretty difficult, that's for sure. I thought it was gonna be acid/base after acid/base after...well you get the point. I finished with just a few minutes remaining. I usually score 11-12 on this section, so I'm hoping for an 11...yikes.

VR was ok, some interesting passages, but definitely not the most exciting imo. Petrarch is an ******* who likes to use up people's VR time, that's what I got out of it.

WS was sweet. Two great prompts made it pretty easy to come up with stuff.

Bio - ONE ochem passage only! Never seen that before, in all 6 practice AAMC's I did, wow. Either way, I found bio to be exceedingly easy. I usually finish bio with truckloads of time remaining and this was no exception - I had 28 minutes left after I did all the q's. Hoping for a 13 or so here.

Now for October 12th to roll around....

I found the PS section pretty challenging too, in fact I didn't have a chance to finish?....I'm also hoping for NOT a 6.

VR was pretty standard. I skipped the long Petrarch? passage bc I was running short on time and it looked too long at a first glance so I came back to it at the end but a lot of my answers were blind guesses for that passage.

WS was pretty good. Nice prompts and lots to write about.

BS was unlike anything I've practiced for though. It seemed more like a verbal reasoning section to me? I found it REALLY difficult.

anyway, that's my two cents. fingers crossed for all.

PS - Couple question here and there I had to make a guess on because I had no time for calculations. Overall pretty good.

VR - Good until Italy and Africa, then poor. Hoping for at least a 10 here.

WS - Good stuff, just followed the mechanics of writing and was able to come up with a good essay.

BS - Awesome. I loved the genetics and protein stuff. Could have used more O-chem. Didn't like the urine passage, but I think I did okay overall.

It was my first time taking it.

I was really pissed off at VR because I ran out of time at the last passage and didn't anwser (didn't even have time to blind guess!!) the last two or three questions of the last passage.

Do you guys think that will have any significant effects on my VR score? Please advise because I had been super worried about that and I'm really mad at myself for not keep track of the time properly... ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, PS was quite hard and I had to blind guess at a few questions. Hopefully I can still get that 10... Other than that, the rest of the test was fantastic.

I was really pissed off at VR because I ran out of time at the last passage and didn't anwser (didn't even have time to blind guess!!) the last two or three questions of the last passage.

Do you guys think that will have any significant effects on my VR score? Please advise because I had been super worried about that and I'm really mad at myself for not keep track of the time properly... ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, PS was quite hard and I had to blind guess at a few questions. Hopefully I can still get that 10... Other than that, the rest of the test was fantastic.

Ouch! More people run in to time pressure on that section than any other.

Probably isn't good of course - hopefully you aced the other sections!

Thanks guys.. yeah the last passage did have the least number of questions. I also had the African culture question.

Do you think I will have any good chances getting into an US med school (mid to lower end), with a 9 in VR, provided that my GPA and other stuff like interviews are decent?

For the friction one, I actually spent a lot of time on that question. I don't know if I'm 100% right but I think it's the one with U1 < U2 * (W1/(W1+W2)) or something along that line.

Also, for the question about how Screwdrivers function, is it analogous to? Wheel or Level or Pulley?

Thanks guys.. yeah the last passage did have the least number of questions. I also had the African culture question.

Do you think I will have any good chances getting into an US med school (mid to lower end), with a 9 in VR, provided that my GPA and other stuff like interviews are decent?

For the friction one, I actually spent a lot of time on that question. I don't know if I'm 100% right but I think it's the one with U1 < U2 * (W1/(W1+W2)) or something along that line.

Also, for the question about how Screwdrivers function, is it analogous to? Wheel or Level or Pulley?

I didn't know either, but I googled it and apparently it's a circular version of an inclined plane. lol....definitely did NOT know that

You have to watch about way you discuss questions on here.... the AAMC is crazy about copyright....

but you can read an article online about how a screw is basically an inclined plane wrapped around a cylinder...

What a ridiculous question.... and I definitely got the double friction question wrong (even though as I read you answer, I know exactly why it's right)... I was too frazzled from all that acid base chem and not thinking clearly apparently lol

Sry I'll watch out from now on. Don't want to get in trouble.

I have no idea how screwdrivers are related to inclined plane... LOL!!

About my previous question, do you guys think I will have any chances getting into an US med school (mid to lower end), with a 9 in VR, provided that my GPA and other stuff like interviews are decent?

I just want your personal opinions. Thanks!!

It's so hard to make a judgment without knowing a tonne more about you.

But if everything is strong.... and your mcat overall is still in the low to mid 30's.... a 9 won't kill you. The U.S. doesn't enforce strict cutoffs, you just have to be a strong all around applicant and apply broadly to schools that are friendly to Canadians.

Generally speaking though, if everyone writing the test found a section hard (because I have yet to hear of anyone who found VR and PS straight forward), does that mean that we are graded accordingly? In other words, if this is true, does that mean it's easier to score higher on the scale?

Sorry if it's a stupid question. Kind of new to this...

Generally speaking though, if everyone writing the test found a section hard (because I have yet to hear of anyone who found VR and PS straight forward), does that mean that we are graded accordingly? In other words, if this is true, does that mean it's easier to score higher on the scale?

Sorry if it's a stupid question. Kind of new to this...

Generally yes,

The curve is based on a combination of how people performed on those same questions in the past year or so, and how people do the day of. While the exact weighting is a mystery... you're still being graded in a scaled percentile which means a harder test will have a little more leniency.

Sry I'll watch out from now on. Don't want to get in trouble.

I have no idea how screwdrivers are related to inclined plane... LOL!!

About my previous question, do you guys think I will have any chances getting into an US med school (mid to lower end), with a 9 in VR, provided that my GPA and other stuff like interviews are decent?

I just want your personal opinions. Thanks!!

there is this one website (sorry i lost the link, maybe someone else has it) where you can type in stats (GPA, MCAT) and it will list you people with similar stats and where they got interviews/acceptances and shows their ECs and such. if anyone knows what im talking about, it may help this guy

there is this one website (sorry i lost the link, maybe someone else has it) where you can type in stats (GPA, MCAT) and it will list you people with similar stats and where they got interviews/acceptances and shows their ECs and such. if anyone knows what im talking about, it may help this guy
Were you thinking of this one? It's the only one I know.

http://www.mdapplicants.com/

• 3 weeks later...

Ouch, sorry to hear that Supafield. Yeah, be careful what you wish for...

I'm re-writing. We're lucky we're in Canada in that we can re-write, but not so lucky in that your scores probably would have pierced American schools if you were an American citizen.

VR was the easiest part on that test I found...I don't know what happpened...I thought I blew sciences and destroyed verbal but the results tell me the opposite. I'm going to be so mad if I just missed 1 question...Good thing they don't release that kind of data.

Archived