Premed 101 Forums

Diversity of EC's... help me if you can!

iwh333

hey guys

i have a quick question about my ecs. i love all the different things i do and i'd say they generally fall into 3-4 categories with 1-2 main category and the other 2 smaller ones.

but say for ie, one of your main category is working with adults/kids with disadvantages or in a disadvantaged situation... and you do a variety of different things associated with that... for ie. food bank, working with homeless, working with people with disabilities, fundraising for concert/games tickets to give to inner-city children, etc etc... does that show enough diversity?

i absolutely love doing these things, but i'm worried it's not enough. i guess the category 'working with people with disadvantages,etc' is a very BROAD topic. i'm just afraid they are going to look at it like i have put a lot of commitment into only one category...

it's not my only 'category' but it's definitely one of my more passionate ones. i have a few other ones.

i hope you guys understand what i'm trying to say

have an aweseome day :D

hey guys

i have a quick question about my ecs. i love all the different things i do and i'd say they generally fall into 3-4 categories with 1-2 main category and the other 2 smaller ones.

but say for ie, one of your main category is working with adults/kids with disadvantages or in a disadvantaged situation... and you do a variety of different things associated with that... for ie. food bank, working with homeless, working with people with disabilities, fundraising for concert/games tickets to give to inner-city children, etc etc... does that show enough diversity?

i absolutely love doing these things, but i'm worried it's not enough. i guess the category 'working with people with disadvantages,etc' is a very BROAD topic. i'm just afraid they are going to look at it like i have put a lot of commitment into only one category...

it's not my only 'category' but it's definitely one of my more passionate ones. i have a few other ones.

i hope you guys understand what i'm trying to say

have an aweseome day :D

May I ask what you are trying to categorize your ECs for? In other words, are you applying to med school now? If so, what school?

well it's not that i've categorized my ec's... it just so happens that all the things i do falls into a few categories because of what i enjoy.

i'll be applying in a year or two? probably all over canada. i'm in 3rd year right now but there's quite a lot of things i want to do that i don't think i will be able to once i get in (cross fingers)... so i don't mind waiting a few more years.

i guess i just wanted some general feedback etc... this EC thing literally just came up in my head this morning.

I agree with the others, continue doing what you love doing!

If you are worried about 'diversity', my suggestion would be to keep doing those activities, but take leadership roles in these activities, or start a new initiative within the broad category. That way you will stand out more. Also in your application, give some thought to the wording- no need to embellish things, but saying 'working with x' or 'working with y' doesn't show much diversity there.

well it's not that i've categorized my ec's... it just so happens that all the things i do falls into a few categories because of what i enjoy.

i'll be applying in a year or two? probably all over canada. i'm in 3rd year right now but there's quite a lot of things i want to do that i don't think i will be able to once i get in (cross fingers)... so i don't mind waiting a few more years.

i guess i just wanted some general feedback etc... this EC thing literally just came up in my head this morning.

Sounds like you are doing some pretty cool ECs already. As I see from your signature, you are at UBC? If you are applying to med school at UBC (in the future), do read their admissions website thoroughly to make sure you've targeted all that they are looking for.

Good luck!

Like most, I tend to agree that just continue doing what you are doing is more than enough. Most people I know of don't involve themselves half as much as you do, and I think to have everything you do falling in 1 category shows passion and perceverance for that particular category.

But, if you happen to come across anything a bit out of your comfort zone, do try it out. It certainly will pay for it self in fun and experience!

So, what can I add more but good luck? :)

Archived